Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

chlen to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain

Re: OT - Gaming TV

said by Chaplain:

I just went through this excercise. Samsung has the best big screen LCD TV's on the market. I love mine. You can either trust me and get one, or check out the reviews on cnet first. Here, I did the leg work for you. And get a 46in. If you're gonna do it, DO IT!

OK - I just checked and prices went up! I got mine for $749. Holy shit.

Well, lower the inches then.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Sam ··· =samsung lcd&cp=1&lp=3

And cnet:

»reviews.cnet.com/flat-pa ··· ol;lst;1

For around $900 you can get the 16inch. Nothing in between though. Sound is the only drawback, but I find the speakers to be fine, especially backed up by my stereo, which isn't even digital. Had to get an iPod jack to plug it in (RCA to one line jack). Also may need HDMI cables.

Basically puts me in a plasma vs lcd debate... sound is not important I run a Klipsch setup of floorstanding copper 5.25 driver set through a Pioneer Elite 7.1 Amp (I am a bit of an audiofile)

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Then I say LCD for less energy consumption, and recommend the Samsung for best picture quality. Best purchase I've made in years.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen
And i'll cast a vote for plasmas--you can view the screen at any angle (great when you have company) and LCDs can't hold a candle to the response time and rich colors of plasmas.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
said by Chaplain:

Then I say LCD for less energy consumption, and recommend the Samsung for best picture quality. Best purchase I've made in years.

The thing is I watch so little actual television that I do not particularly care about power consumption. Between work and me starting my doctoral program I spend about 70-80 hours a week away from home, so I catch the occasional movie or play some game for an hour or so...

I went to Best Buy and checked them out, they are virtually identical in quality... I had an LCD so I am used to it more, plasma does look slightly more natural and you don't get that over-contrasty feeling so I think I will take my brother on Saturday and have another pair of eyes, and buy it then, might just flip a coin.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Remember, Samsung if LCD. And you'll have a blue ray player. You'll be watching movies on it. Also, streaming Netflix (if you have it). When you get your Doctorate, you can send us the consultation fees. $30 in each of our paypal accounts will do nicely.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Samsung if plasma, too!

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Panasonic Plasma > Samsung Plasma

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Disagree.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Eh, maybe. I'm sure he'd be fine with either. I don't have anything intelligent to add. I was just harassing.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

This was relevant when I bought mine--both make high-quality, Tier 1 plasma TVs. This specific review gave a slight edge to Samsung. No idea how their current flagship models match up:

»www.plasmatvbuyingguide. ··· 650.html

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

I'll flip a coin.

46" 1080p Plasma is 200 bucks cheaper then the LCD, and my cell phone contract runs out in April... so gotta put some thought behind this.

I do have netflix, stream it through the newly acquired PS3.