how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

Thinking about a Wi-Fi Bridge

So I was thinking back to my research when learning all about antennas, and networking, and Wi-Fi came back to my head. As of now I use Sprint 3G using a grid setup. It is a shame since high speed cable is only a mile away. Well a good friend of mine has this cable and lives about 1.3 miles away and is very high off the ground, and from the back of his house is a great view of my valley. So I was thinking that I have a grid antenna setup, and a router with dd-wrt installed, along with all of the connectors to change my Evdo setup to a Wi-Fi setup, so I gave it a go. I hooked everything up and I could not grab a signal as there is no line of sight and there is a lot of terrain in the way. So I believe that if I could setup a the same antenna setup at my friend's house and have his grid aim at my grid I would be able to get high speed cable wirelessly a mile away. To be able to aim at a grid antenna signal would be hard so I was thinking maybe I could setup a omni repeater powered by solar in a tree halfway and use that as abridge to have the grids communicate. As of now this is just a possibility and I am in no hurry to setup up such a network, but I believe it could be done with some money and some permission. Your Thoughts?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Ubiquiti Networks »www.ubnt.com might have some easy to aim equipment.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Dexter1992
said by Dexter1992:

So I was thinking back to my research when learning all about antennas, and networking, and Wi-Fi came back to my head.

believe it could be done with some money and some permission. Your Thoughts?

If you decide to go for it, These Guys know what they are about. They launched one of the first wireless ISPs in the country.

Even nicer, you might not have to take out a second mortgage in order to purchase equipment from them.

NV
--
Any Goal that is Driven by Animosity, is Empowered through Deceit.

Redwolf

join:2001-01-07
Hot Springs National Park, AR
Reviews:
·Cablelynx
·VOIPO
reply to Dexter1992
We are using a couple of these with grids to link our office to the internet at the Boss's house.

»www.radiolabs.com/products/wirel···idge.php

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
That looks quite interesting. I may have a place for something like that.

NV
--
Any Goal that is Driven by Animosity, is Empowered through Deceit.

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN
Thanks for the links! If I do decide to go for it I will use them for sure. But it would be a long shot in the dark for me to succeed.