All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jarlan
@stellarllc.net

Jarlan

Anon

Help setting up my Centurylink internet please?

So I just changed from internet providers to centurylink. I need help setting it up. They say that it will automatically change.

They sent me this router with some phone filters. It's been so long since I received it that I lost the directions.

What do I need to do? Right now I have my modem and my old DLink router hooked up to that. What do I do with the phone filters? Do I just hook them up to my phones and the internet will work once I use the router they provided me? Or do I have to do something else for it to work?

Need some directions please.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper

Filters go on ALL devices that use the phone lines EXCEPT the DSL modem. This includes fax machine, computer modems, Satellite receivers, etc. If you have more "phones" than filters - look at Ace Hardware and Radio Shack (maybe Lowes / Home Depot / Best Buy / HH Gregg) for more.

The phoneline goes into the Line port on the modem, and you use a CAT3 (or better) cable to the WAN port on your existing router.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to Jarlan

to Jarlan
the phone filter will allow you to use your phone.. how do you have it set up now? modem etc

Jarlan
@stellarllc.net

Jarlan

Anon

said by firedrakes:

the phone filter will allow you to use your phone.. how do you have it set up now? modem etc

what do I do with the DSL filter then? Right now I have a phone line going from the vonage router into the phone jack.
scooper
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to Jarlan

to Jarlan
I'd like to know how you are getting signal to the DSL modem as well as how the voice out of the Vonage device is connected.

My preference would be to have a dedicated cable from the NID to the DSL modem, then you could use the built in wiring like your voice network.
Nefandus
join:2011-03-12
Whitewater, CO

Nefandus to Jarlan

to Jarlan
1. filters in phone jacks that have anything but modem connected if you have voice service through phone company, if not skip anything plugging into jacks as they wouldn't work anyway.
2. modem into phone jack with 8ft phone cord
3. computer connected to modem
4. Setup your modem and get online
5. disconnect your PC and connect router that provides vonage
6. computer into router configure router to get online
7. phone on vonage service into voip router
8. happy surfing/voip calling
scooper
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to Jarlan

to Jarlan
said by Jarlan :

said by firedrakes:

what do I do with the DSL filter then? Right now I have a phone line going from the vonage router into the phone jack.

I don't think you should be doing that - period. If you want to use Vonage, you should be running a seperate phone network for voice.

You MIGHT be able to get away with this doing the following -
DSL service / Centurylink phone line on the Red/Green pair.
Vonage service on the Yellow/Black pair.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

When I connect Vonage with DSL, I use the second-line pair for DSL so they can run the Vonage line through the house wiring like they are used to. A few people get Vonage as a second line for international calls, but the majority of the ones I connect use it to replace the line from the Telco.

In one house, with older wiring, I ran the DSL on the yellow/black pair. I had to put a DSL filter on the line coming out of the Vonage box into the house wiring to keep the voice call on the red/green pair from interfering with the DSL signal.