how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OneEye

join:2006-04-15
Peachtree City, GA

It's Time...

It's time for the largest content providers on the Internet to join together and bankroll the development of a truly independent network. (Google, Netflix, Amazon, etc.).

If they don't, the day is coming when their business model will be strangled by the existing ISPs.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Re: It's Time...

Which begs the question, why haven't they gone into the ISP business in the first place?

OneEye

Peachtree City, GA

1 recommendation

If they are going to do it, now is the time to move forward.

If I had the bankroll, I would buy or conduct a hostile takeover of Level Three Communications. It is a badly run company that would give them an impressive backbone structure and control of most of the major ISPs using their fiber including AT&T.
myokitis

join:2004-06-19
Alexandria, VA
said by fifty nine:

Which begs the question, why haven't they gone into the ISP business in the first place?

Perhaps they don't want to drop the $Billions that would be needed to build-out the network, plus the ongoing expense to support plant maintenance & repair, customer service, admin, etc? Just thinking about getting the rights-of-way to build a network from the ground-up makes my head spin.

OneEye

Peachtree City, GA

You need to do some research on the former Wiltel (Williams Telecomunications) fiber network which is now part of L3 (2006-2007).

It is a nationwide fiber network with command and control in Tulsa, OK. Wiltel is a supplier of backbone fiber to the major carriers.

Having worked for Wiltel in the 1980-90s, I remember the huge quantity of "dark" fiber already in the ground not being utilized.

Someone should make a move on L3 for the network and sell off the pieces which are mainly involved in government contract programs.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Interesting that you bring this company up, over the past decade, I've seen their name on trucks doing work around my town.
--
My Blog 2.2
myokitis

join:2004-06-19
Alexandria, VA
said by OneEye:

. . . Wiltel is a supplier of backbone fiber to the major carriers.

Point-taken, but Willtel is a different animal . . . a backbone provider. The point of the article; however, seemed to be directed at end-user -facing ISPs. Wiltel isn't among them, they're just one of their suppliers.

Actually, I wonder what the FTC would think of the vertical integration that would occur if Netflix/Google/etc would make a move for someone like Level3; wonder if there could be anti-trust issues there.

OneEye

Peachtree City, GA

Are there anti-trust issues with AT&T being a content provider (U-verse) and an internet provider.

If AT&T has Federal approval to operate a conflicted ISP, than I can't see any reason why Netflix/Google cannot do the same.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by OneEye:

Are there anti-trust issues with AT&T being a content provider (U-verse) and an internet provider.

If AT&T has Federal approval to operate a conflicted ISP, than I can't see any reason why Netflix/Google cannot do the same.

Nicely said.
--
My Blog 2.2