chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom

3G Service in Quad Cities IA/IL Bad

For the past 3 or so weeks, my service has been poor. (I live just south of the Quad Cities) Back in January, I was able to get speeds just over 1MBps with pings around 100ms. These are the problems I have been experiencing:

-Bad signal: -100+ dBm compared to ~87 dBm

-Slow speeds:

-What seems like connection dropouts where it is slower than molasses and bad pings:

-However, when I reconnect, before it drops out, I get pretty good pings:

Today, I went to the Sprint store, here by Target, and the Technician Manager (I think that's what his name tag said) and he said that there have been having 3G problems at all the towers in the Quad Cities for the past 3 weeks as well, mainly the towers have not been accepting Data calls. He also said that they have been working on it for awhile and still working at it now.

Is there anyone that can confirm this issue around here, and anyone technical knows what the problem could actually be?

LineNoise

join:2006-06-25
Downers Grove, IL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
You're in the former iPCS territory. They're supposedly "upgrading" those areas. At this point if you want answers your best bet is to call customer care and try to get a ticket in so you can get in touch with an ericsson tech. I wouldn't hold my breath on that though.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Getting tower folks to focus on your issue is usually the best approach, since the Sprint tech folks are largely clueless. But LineNoise is right that it can take a while. In my case, my 3G connection went south in late September and an Ericcson tech finally showed up in my apartment to do serious troubleshooting in March, about a six-month delay. Not pleasant. Sprint genuinely, profoundly and sincerely doesn't give a f**k.

Which is why I've said it before and I'll say it again: We wireless Internet users seriously need our own Tah'rir Square.

chris92

Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to chris92
My speeds have started to improve, but I need to get some time, maybe tonight, to call up Sprint.

I have a feeling that it won't get me anywhere but I'll see if it will do...
I do also agree that Sprint doesn't give a crap considering a time I brought my modem in 4 months ago. They did some 'testing' on it and said it was fine. I then asked them to do a speed test on it to see if they could get any better speeds than I could, and they couldn't! After a half hour of watching them screw around, they gave an excuse saying that their browser needed to be updated.

billybob2

join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL
reply to chris92
For what it's worth, I've spoken with Sprint's network department and they are aware of the issues. They have given me ETAs of July 15 for many of their tower upgrades on the Iowa side of the Quad Cities. No idea on the Illinois side. Hopefully they can get it done by then because the latency and slow throughput is horrible at certain times of the day.

ChuckIL9

join:2005-11-07
Peoria, IL
Quad Cities, Galesburg, Peoria, and Bloomington all have had pathetic 3G speeds for months now. Clear has started some work on 4G in Peoria and Bloomington, but nothing has officially launched. Used to be able to stream 128k internet radio all along the I-74 corridor with few drops, now in the best of conditions, you're lucky to be able to stream 128k at all.

chris92

Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to chris92
I called Sprint a couple times awhile ago, and they said that they know what the problem is (didn't tell me specifics) and that they should have the problem fixed soon. But I haven't seen that happen; some days it is good, but most days the service is bad during the day. Often I see this:

It seems that they don't have a big enough back-end connection. At around midnight I can get almost 2 Mbp/s. I'd love it if they would get 4G to the area, but that will probably be in a long time.

billybob2

Moline, IL
said by chris92:

It seems that they don't have a big enough back-end connection. At around midnight I can get almost 2 Mbp/s. I'd love it if they would get 4G to the area, but that will probably be in a long time.

Yeah, hopefully they will deliver on their early July timetable for tower upgrades. Their network support mentioned needing additional EVDO channels on some towers. I guess other towers could be a backhaul issue. I doubt we will see 4G anytime soon, especially if they have backhaul issues with their 3G service. If they don't have the backhaul available to even make 3G work correctly then what hope is there of offering 4G service properly?

billybob2

Moline, IL

1 edit
Well, since July is almost here, I've been speaking with Sprint again regarding their tower upgrades. They are now telling me that the upgrades I mentioned earlier on the Iowa side of the Quad Cities are looking more like August/September instead of July.

goclones

@qwest.net
I just joined sprint over the weekend and have been running speedtests to make sure I getting the service I'm paying for. I live in northern Davenport and have been getting down speeds around 300kbps, 600kbps tops. The fastest I've seen was 800kbps on the IL side of the river.

I called Sprint today to report the issue. The tech seemed surprised by the slow speeds and said I should be getting at least 1mbps down. He had me restart my phone and tell him a few of the numbers under the battery. After the restart I hit 550kbps down...way under the threshold.

He then checked his monitoring service and saw a data slowdown reported out of Chicago that was causing service degradation as far as Eastern Iowa. He said this was more than likely the result of some kind of upgrade (software, hardware) on their 3G network. He could not provide me with an ETA but assured me that when it was done I would be up to lightning fast.

Long story short, I've confirmed what was posted here and I will be calling back next week if it isnt up to snuff to check again.

billybob2

Moline, IL
said by goclones :

I just joined sprint over the weekend and have been running speedtests to make sure I getting the service I'm paying for. I live in northern Davenport and have been getting down speeds around 300kbps, 600kbps tops. The fastest I've seen was 800kbps on the IL side of the river.

Over in Bettendorf I would be thrilled for even reliable 300kbps speeds. During significant portions of the day I've found the speed is closer to 100kbps with latency around 1000ms.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to goclones
If you believe that I have several bridges for sale. You are seeing congestion and it's the same with all parts of the country and all providers.

300 to 600 down is normal for some areas depending on how loaded the towers are. What speeds have you been led to expect to be "up to snuff"? You did note that the specs call for "UP" to 3 MB Download and "UP" to 1 MB upload. They do not specify any speed. I think they consider anything over 300 MB up ok.

goclones

@qwest.net
Believe me...I take any generic term like "data slowdown" skeptically.

I would at least expect Sprint to be competitive with others in the market. I have friends on Verizon that are amazed when their 3g drops below 1mbps. Do I expect 3mbps? Of course not...I don't have my own dedicated line (wouldn't that be nice?). I will not, however, be satisfied paying 160/month for a phone plan that isn't competitive or even at 1/2 the accepted minimum (Sprint said under 600kbps down was considered "slow").

goclones

@qwest.net
More details from sprint today:

I requested to speak to someone in advanced tech. The technician stated that the Davenport tower is running at 10.8% capacity. In other words, only 10.8% of traffic is coming through (hence the huge decrease in speed). He stated that technicians were on site at the tower and he plans to call me back in 4 hours to see if the issue is resolved. They opened a trouble ticket for the location.

I'm inclined to buy into this more because he sounded very surprised at the 10.8% statistic. Hopefully he'll be able to get me more details later.

cbobby

join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD
reply to chris92
it's pretty much the same....I once got 1Mb, then 750, then 600, then 500...500 I now consider speedy

in fact this is best that I usually get from 3PM to 11PM

chris92

Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to chris92
I went to the Moline Sprint two days ago to complain again...I talked to a young kid who knew exactly about the problem, but he didn't know anything about how and if they're fixing it at all-he even knew about them pushing dates up, so no luck there.

Today I finally got time for a call to Sprint today (a 41 minute call). I was finally transferred to a technician who could actually look at the tower capacity and whatnot. He didn't see the tower (the tower in Coal Valley) overloaded or anything, but added my account to the "the ticket". I'm not sure if its the ticket for the whole area, or tower, or the one they made for me months ago. He talked about there being problems in eastern Iowa, but not where I live. He also said that the problem should be fixed by July 17 (Great, another date!) and that I can call back to get "my account adjusted" (assuming a month's credit).

At the end of the call I asked about any 4G expansion in the area, but he couldn't find anything on it, besides the Davenport tower.

billybob2

Moline, IL
Any improvement elsewhere in the Quad Cities? Talking to the network department at Sprint, the upgrades in Bettendorf are now scheduled for end of September apparently (it was first July, then August).

chris92

Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to chris92
I just came home from a week long trip to worse service. Seems to be an EVDO outage; my Cradlepoint reports the Carrier Status as Down, and the Sprint SmartView connects to EVDO and switches over to 1xRTT. My family who were using it for the past week said it has been very slow.

chris92

Coal Valley, IL
reply to chris92
Service stopped working again around 2 today. Called sprint up a little bit ago and said that there were 3 other people in the area reporting no service. They said they'd fix it by 2 tomorrow and call back. Posting from my Verizon phone...

chris92

Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to chris92
Service (nearly) fixed; speeds got back to "normal" a few hours ago:

Sprint Store says that area upgrades are supposed to be complete by the middle of this month. Ha!

billybob2

Moline, IL
said by chris92:

Sprint Store says that area upgrades are supposed to be complete by the middle of this month.

I called Network support a few days ago about the upgrades on the Iowa side. In zipcode 52722 I'm now being told the ETA is October 31 (was originally July, then August, now end of October).

billybob2

Moline, IL
Anyone with any new info on this, working better/worse in your part of the Quad Cities etc...? I checked with Network support again on my network tickets and they're still scheduled for an ETA of October 31, and from what I can gather their upgrade consists of adding a T1 to each tower. So if that's all they are really doing as far as upgrades I don't see how this can end well, especially when Sprint starts selling iPhones. The capacity of a T1 is barely going to make a dent in the current congestion.

billybob2

Moline, IL
reply to chris92
I called Sprint about my network tickets again today and apparently everything in the vicinity of zipcode 52722 has finally had it's EVDO data upgrades completed (an additional EVDO channel with two T1 lines for backhaul on each tower), and it sounds like Sprint has already scheduled additional upgrades for March 2012. I haven't had time to test anything to see if things are improved though, but thought I'd pass along the info.

chris92

Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to chris92
Our EVDO card here seems to be working more smoothly in the past months, there has been less dropouts than before, so I think they improved something. As for speed, it still could be desired, still only getting 600 kbps down 400 kbps up most of the time, but weekday afternoons haven't come to a halt like before.

I'll have to check with my Clear 4G device in Davenport again; I could only get 7.4 Mbit down right next to the tower. I usually can get about 4 Mbit at Augustana College.