JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

Old WRT54GL vs new

I've purchased my first WRT54GL in September 2007. Have been using it since then with Tomato f/w without any problems

Now I need to setup wireless access in another location (my parents) and just purchased another WRT54GL.

Were there any design changes over the past 3.5 years? Is there a reason old router is better than new or the other way around?

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
It's the same old and trusted WRT54GL. I wouldn't say it's the best available, but for a non IEEE 802.11n router it's probably still one of the best. If however you have an Internet connection with speeds at 30Mbps or greater, I'd consider a different router because that is about what the WRT54GL can handle in my experience (even though the WAN port is rated at 100Mbps).

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
What other routers would you recommend for faster internet connections? Reliability is highest on my list of requirements. These WRT54GL go for months without needing a reboot.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
said by JoeSchmoe007:

These WRT54GL go for months without needing a reboot.

I know, it's hard to give up a solid performer. My WRT54G v4 (the design the GL cloned) is still running well.

Despite Broadcom's recent release of some code, they've fallen out of favor with the Linux community over the years for not doing so long ago. And Linksys uses mostly Broadcom. So, for my next router I've been looking at this screamer: »wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700

Hardware only, of course. Unfortunately, reliability is hard to judge.

I'm not recently abandoning LinkSys. I banned their code from my network in 2007 when I went OpenWrt while Linksys went back to "good enough" firmware on their low end.