spc
uniqs

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf to tom thomas

to tom thomas

Re: Porting non-mobile to google voice

said by tom thomas:

so far all the cases i have read about are people going from VOIP - mobile -GV. i would be interested to hear if the same success comes going PSTN landline - mobile - GV.

VoIP or landline shouldn't make a difference. For one thing, the CLEC's that VoIP service providers get their DID's from, also issue DID's from the same pool for landline service. Secondly, Google Voice's mobile-only port policy is a unique internal policy of theirs. There is no reason they are limited to only porting mobile numbers, except they would prefer to only have to deal with 4 national wireless carriers, rather than 100's of ILEC's and CLEC's. So once your number is with one of the national wireless carriers, regardless of whether it was previously with an ILEC, CLEC, or VoIP (which itself gets their numbers from CLEC's), Google Voice will accept the port.

jpinsl
join:2001-06-29
Salt Lake City, UT

jpinsl

t-mobile.com has the $10 prepaid activation kit for $6.99, including shipping. . .
jeffnyc
join:2004-06-09
Atlanta, GA

2 edits

jeffnyc to josephf

to josephf
said by josephf:

said by tom thomas:

so far all the cases i have read about are people going from VOIP - mobile -GV. i would be interested to hear if the same success comes going PSTN landline - mobile - GV.

VoIP or landline shouldn't make a difference. For one thing, the CLEC's that VoIP service providers get their DID's from, also issue DID's from the same pool for landline service. Secondly, Google Voice's mobile-only port policy is a unique internal policy of theirs. There is no reason they are limited to only porting mobile numbers, except they would prefer to only have to deal with 4 national wireless carriers, rather than 100's of ILEC's and CLEC's. So once your number is with one of the national wireless carriers, regardless of whether it was previously with an ILEC, CLEC, or VoIP (which itself gets their numbers from CLEC's), Google Voice will accept the port.

Ok, so I just started the first port from Onesuite to TMobile. When I got the T-Mobile Sim, I first tried activating online and it failed and so I called customer service. CSR said I wanted a temporary # to use the TMobile sim card before the port is completed she had to transfer me to another dept but if I just wanted to wait for my number she could initiate it.

According to tnid the number is with Global Crossing.

Joseph - not sure if you recall but you also responded on my old thread back in 2009 of the hell I went through porting into Onesuite from Voicestick. And of course N9MD and PX Eliezer were on that thread too

Hopefully porting out will be smoother.

And jpinsl - thanks for the suggestion - bought the $6.99 card which came out to $7.61 shipped with NYS sales tax and arrived in about 3 days.