spc
uniqs
Nfurber2
join:2011-03-12
Stockholm, ME

Nfurber2 to egilbe

to egilbe

Re: [availability] Fairpoint Vantage Point DSL Chesterville Main

I haven't noticed any slowdowns on my end overall. I did run a speedtest.net test a few days ago to a server in Portland, ME and it was like 1mb down and 1 up but I tested on in Bangor, ME right after (closer to me) and was getting 14.3 down 1 up. I then tested a server in Boston, MA (farther from me than Portland) and got 14.6 down 1 up so I think it was that server or area more than my own service. Every time I've ever tried an actual file download I'm generally at 1550Kbps to 1800Kbps. Having said that I'm in a small town of only about 230 homes and not all of those are in the service area I'm sure since it's a pretty rural area and some homes are very spread out.
egilbe
join:2011-03-07

egilbe

DSL and ADSL, if I'm not mistaken are dedicated subscriber lines and you won't share bandwidth, unlike TWC. I was blaming my dial-up like speeds since I went to DSL on Boston and NY Alter.net peering server congestion. I just want to make sure there is an improvement before I decide on Vantage point, and then find I run into the crappy ping and download speeds.

Sometimes download speeds are limited by the senders upload speeds. Nothing you can do about that.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by egilbe:

DSL and ADSL, if I'm not mistaken are dedicated subscriber lines and you won't share bandwidth, unlike TWC.

Digital Subscriber lines are still shared once you get back to the central office. I wouldnt say one is any better in that regard.