join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to wings10

Re: AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

said by wings10:

said by NormanS:

but we are supposed to trust the biller that they are getting it right?

We do the same for other services like,

ComEd, NICOR, City Water Etc Etc.

At least here, these utilities are not truly "trusted". They are regulated. The meters are certified by manufacturers to be accurate within tolerances. The utility is required to maintain records of each meter's history. The public service commission can investigate complaints about meter accuracy.

As I am sure someone else has mentioned, the immediate remedy if one does not trust AT&T's metering is to stop being their customer.

(If and) When there is no alternative to metered internet, and as internet service is viewed more as a utility, the public (and voters) will start telling regulators and politicians that they want more government.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
What we need is for each city, town, community to install their own WiFi network. Then it will be a utility like your Gas, Water & Electric. You create an account using your home address. Then the government can keep all the revenue HSI and they will have no need to tax you on the service.

Another revenue stream for them.

Of wait they still would tax you on it. Can't get away from tax.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to wings10
said by wings10:

We do the same for other services like,

ComEd, NICOR, City Water Etc Etc.

Those are regulated public utilities. AT&T, Comcast, et. al. don't want to be regulated public utilities. When they become regulated public utilities, I can then pester the PUC when I think their billing is in error. As matters stand now, there is nobody to pester.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
said by NormanS:

Those are regulated public utilities. AT&T, Comcast, et. al. don't want to be regulated public utilities. When they become regulated public utilities, I can then pester the PUC when I think their billing is in error. As matters stand now, there is nobody to pester.

They should be. I am surprised ATT is not.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
The phone company is a regulated utility, but the DSL provider is not. Though, in California, I believe the PUC makes a feeble stab at regulation of DSL. Other states? Not so much; and AT&T wants it that way.
--
Norman

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by NormanS:

Other states? Not so much; and AT&T wants it that way.

For example, the newly-appointed chair of the Wisconsin PSC is Phil Montgomery, who, while serving as one of AT&T's water boys, moonlighted as a state legislator.
»www.jsonline.com/business/118788659.html

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

The phone company is a regulated utility, but the DSL provider is not. Though, in California, I believe the PUC makes a feeble stab at regulation of DSL. Other states? Not so much; and AT&T wants it that way.

So ATT HSI service is not?
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
As I said, California PUC makes a feeble stab at it. But AT&T Yahoo! HSI is not, generally speaking, considered a regulated public utility. Easier to get voice service problems fixed (they have a specified time to get service restored, per PUC regulations) than DSL fixed (they can take their sweet time about it).
--
Norman

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
reply to gvd
Is there a way to download the usage meter, without installing any additional software? Is this a beta, not generally available yet?

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
said by joewho:

Is there a way to download the usage meter, without installing any additional software? Is this a beta, not generally available yet?

Well any usage program you install would require you to download/install and run in the background.
--

joewho
Premium
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Two wired accounts at this residence. I'm on wireless with access to both. Not really concerned about overage, not even close, but am curious about the usage meter. Don't really want to put an AT&T disk in my or anyone elses computer. So how does that relate to this new stuff?

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
A router that tracks usage is the best since you have multiple devices. You can set it to warn you when you get close to your cap. If it is a 150GB cap you can set it to warn you at 75GB, 100GB etc.

If you want to download software that tracks your usage you would need to install the program on every PC. Also it would not work on devices like a Wii, Blu-ray player or a Netflix streaming devise for example.
--

joewho
Premium
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Thanks wings, but I'm specifically interested in the AT&T meter. There are two seperate accounts in one residence, reason being that someone had issues holding connection to the main wireless router. She said screw it, I'll get a wired modem. lol. Cool.

No concerns about usage. Occasional p2p, but rare. Otherwise, no issues, just curious about the "meter". No streams, no major d/l's. So, no, I don't want to exercise my brain on this one. Just wish there was a simple link to download the meter, install it, check it out, then get rid of it. .
Edit: yah, close my eyes, click my heels and wish....
--

we're all connected

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
Just use the ATT site and enter what ever number you want to check usage on.

»cprodmasx.att.com/commonLogin/ig···SESSION=
--

joewho
Premium
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Don' t know how you did it, but thanks. I tried searching this out and wound up posting, here, a link to wireless. Had to ask a mod to delete the post and stick my head in the ground. . Hey, if I don't take chances, how will I learn? College?

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to gvd
Seems they like to combine usage for 2 days? Checking the att site it has March 31st listed but then skips to April 2nd. No April 1st. Is this an April's fools thing?
--

gvd

join:2011-01-03
Skokie, IL
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

And the router is only displaying packet total, but not the size of the packets.

Please explain how you came up with this idea, because nothing I've ever seen says this.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Could you add a little more context? Or are you saying that all TCP/IP packets are of a uniform size, so I can assume that a common multiplier, such as 1500x, will suffice?
--
Norman

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to gvd
It would be nice if everyone could check their bandwidth usage. With only three weeks to go before Cap Day, some of us STILL have no "official" measurement of previously used bandwidth

Geez, get the lead out AT&T!
--
TCE Weather

maiku84

join:2007-04-04
Victoria, TX
reply to gvd
Mine is definitely off by somewhere around 400MB a day in total. Given that I rarely do much in the way of uploading, I'm not sure why my upload is at like 300MB a day; bandwidth monitoring software shows it at somewhere like 100MB a day on average. Download is generally around 200MB off as well. Granted, some of this could be from other devices, but I'm the only "heavy" internet user in the household. Checking my router's stats for other devices while online, the other members of the household use somewhere around 30-50MB a day compared to my 2-3GB downstream (watching streams on livestream and justin.tv during the day accounts for pretty much the entirety of this).

gvd

join:2011-01-03
Skokie, IL
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Could you add a little more context? Or are you saying that all TCP/IP packets are of a uniform size, so I can assume that a common multiplier, such as 1500x, will suffice?

What are you talking about? Tomato, DD-WRT, etc. measure input and output in bytes. Packet size is useless trivia when you're summing the number of bytes in each packet!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by gvd:

said by NormanS:

What are you talking about? Tomato, DD-WRT, etc. measure input and output in bytes. Packet size is useless trivia when you're summing the number of bytes in each packet!

Tomato? DD-WRT? I can't run them on my D-Link DIR-655!. All I get is how many packets are sent/received. In case you are not aware, not all routers have Tomato, or DD-WRT installed. Even those that are capable of flashing those firmwares; many don't bother. Which is why I asked for context. Until you brought up those custom router firmwares, there was no context to understand your statement.
--
Norman

tough joe

@bellsouth.net
reply to gvd
My usage according to the att site is around 30 - 33 gigs. Although for the past several weeks, Ive been unable to access the myusage as it now states "We're sorry, but we're unable to display your Internet usage at this time. Please try again later"

I suspect that since att has not ACTUALLY started charging for over use, they are still tweeking their monitors. It makes sense. Afterall, if they over charge their customers using their own monitoring system and it turns out their monitoring system is faulty, Id smell a nice class action lawsuit. And im sure they dont want that.

I suspect this will all be resolved before the usage charges kick in.

randalls

@apexcovantage.com
said by tough joe :

I suspect that since att has not ACTUALLY started charging for over use, they are still tweeking their monitors. It makes sense. Afterall, if they over charge their customers using their own monitoring system and it turns out their monitoring system is faulty, Id smell a nice class action lawsuit. And im sure they dont want that.

HAHAHAHAHA *gasp* HAHAHA you mean other than billing based on DSLAM stats that include ATM and PPPoE overhead? Or what about all the over utilized OC3s they have out there that cause packet loss and retransmissions? They're saving money by not investing in the network and then double dipping by charging people for packets lost due to them.

AT&T and "making sense" are two terms that don't belong in the same sentence. All you have is a bunch of bean counting managers sitting around trying to rethink possible about how to con your average knucklehead joe out of his last nickel.

tough joe

@bellsouth.net
If they over charge for a service and its discoverd they did (with the tech savy community that exists today) there will be a class action lawsuit. Plenty of lawyers out there to take them on...
I still have faith they wouldnt do that and would correct any meters that gave inaccurate totals.

dave sz

join:2001-06-04
Carpentersville, IL
reply to gvd
Holy crap. I guess playing xbox live, streaming a movie, and streaming some songs uses up 70GB in 11 days. I didn't think my usage would ever hit the cap but looking at it now, the caps are simply ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that 95% of all households, or whatever ATT used for their stats, would not come close to the cap. I even asked my friend who lives with her dad about her usage, and all she does is check emails before bed while he streams news from japan and reads a few articles and they are a bit further ahead then me according to their router.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
said by dave sz:

Holy crap. I guess playing xbox live, streaming a movie, and streaming some songs uses up 70GB in 11 days.

Seems the U-verse 250GB cap will work out better for you. If you can get it? It's the same costs as DSL. Infact I saved switching to U-verse. I was paying $35 for Elite for 12 months before going to the $40 price. Switching to U-verse got me Elite for $19.95 a month for 12 months.

(and the extra 100GB)
--

tough joe

@bellsouth.net
Do you need the full package or can you just get u-verse for internet only? Dont want uverse for television....

dave sz

join:2001-06-04
Carpentersville, IL
reply to wings10
Nope, no uverse in my neighborhood. Will be moving within the year so not all hope is lost.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to tough joe
said by tough joe :

Do you need the full package or can you just get u-verse for internet only? Dont want uverse for television....

I just have U-verse HSI/Voice.

I have Dish.
--