how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gvd

join:2011-01-03
Skokie, IL
reply to NormanS

Re: AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

said by NormanS:

Could you add a little more context? Or are you saying that all TCP/IP packets are of a uniform size, so I can assume that a common multiplier, such as 1500x, will suffice?

What are you talking about? Tomato, DD-WRT, etc. measure input and output in bytes. Packet size is useless trivia when you're summing the number of bytes in each packet!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by gvd:

said by NormanS:

Could you add a little more context? Or are you saying that all TCP/IP packets are of a uniform size, so I can assume that a common multiplier, such as 1500x, will suffice?

What are you talking about? Tomato, DD-WRT, etc. measure input and output in bytes. Packet size is useless trivia when you're summing the number of bytes in each packet!

Tomato? DD-WRT? I can't run them on my D-Link DIR-655!. All I get is how many packets are sent/received. In case you are not aware, not all routers have Tomato, or DD-WRT installed. Even those that are capable of flashing those firmwares; many don't bother. Which is why I asked for context. Until you brought up those custom router firmwares, there was no context to understand your statement.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tough joe

@bellsouth.net
reply to gvd
My usage according to the att site is around 30 - 33 gigs. Although for the past several weeks, Ive been unable to access the myusage as it now states "We're sorry, but we're unable to display your Internet usage at this time. Please try again later"

I suspect that since att has not ACTUALLY started charging for over use, they are still tweeking their monitors. It makes sense. Afterall, if they over charge their customers using their own monitoring system and it turns out their monitoring system is faulty, Id smell a nice class action lawsuit. And im sure they dont want that.

I suspect this will all be resolved before the usage charges kick in.

randalls

@apexcovantage.com
said by tough joe :

I suspect that since att has not ACTUALLY started charging for over use, they are still tweeking their monitors. It makes sense. Afterall, if they over charge their customers using their own monitoring system and it turns out their monitoring system is faulty, Id smell a nice class action lawsuit. And im sure they dont want that.

HAHAHAHAHA *gasp* HAHAHA you mean other than billing based on DSLAM stats that include ATM and PPPoE overhead? Or what about all the over utilized OC3s they have out there that cause packet loss and retransmissions? They're saving money by not investing in the network and then double dipping by charging people for packets lost due to them.

AT&T and "making sense" are two terms that don't belong in the same sentence. All you have is a bunch of bean counting managers sitting around trying to rethink possible about how to con your average knucklehead joe out of his last nickel.

tough joe

@bellsouth.net
If they over charge for a service and its discoverd they did (with the tech savy community that exists today) there will be a class action lawsuit. Plenty of lawyers out there to take them on...
I still have faith they wouldnt do that and would correct any meters that gave inaccurate totals.

dave sz

join:2001-06-04
Carpentersville, IL
reply to gvd
Holy crap. I guess playing xbox live, streaming a movie, and streaming some songs uses up 70GB in 11 days. I didn't think my usage would ever hit the cap but looking at it now, the caps are simply ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that 95% of all households, or whatever ATT used for their stats, would not come close to the cap. I even asked my friend who lives with her dad about her usage, and all she does is check emails before bed while he streams news from japan and reads a few articles and they are a bit further ahead then me according to their router.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
said by dave sz:

Holy crap. I guess playing xbox live, streaming a movie, and streaming some songs uses up 70GB in 11 days.

Seems the U-verse 250GB cap will work out better for you. If you can get it? It's the same costs as DSL. Infact I saved switching to U-verse. I was paying $35 for Elite for 12 months before going to the $40 price. Switching to U-verse got me Elite for $19.95 a month for 12 months.

(and the extra 100GB)
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

tough joe

@bellsouth.net
Do you need the full package or can you just get u-verse for internet only? Dont want uverse for television....

dave sz

Carpentersville, IL
reply to wings10
Nope, no uverse in my neighborhood. Will be moving within the year so not all hope is lost.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to tough joe
said by tough joe :

Do you need the full package or can you just get u-verse for internet only? Dont want uverse for television....

I just have U-verse HSI/Voice.

I have Dish.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

dave sz

Carpentersville, IL
Sorry to take it a bit OT but how has your DISH bill been? Over the last year, ours went up by some $30 from credits and such "expiring". Unfortunately, comcast is our only real alternative.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
said by dave sz:

Sorry to take it a bit OT but how has your DISH bill been? Over the last year, ours went up by some $30 from credits and such "expiring". Unfortunately, comcast is our only real alternative.

$44.99 (No Tax) a month for Americas 120 package w/ Cinemax and HD channels free for life. It was $39.99 but there was a price increase not to long ago of $5. Price frozen until 2013. Been on Dish since 2004. I was on DirecTV from 1997 - 2004. Both good.

This includes a Dual Tuner Receiver in which you can connect 2 TV's. $7 for the 3rd and each additional TV.

Free Cinemax and HD for life is because signing up for paperless billing and autopay.
--

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to dave sz
you can get AT&T Directv and Get MLB network, CSN Chicago HD full time / ALL CSN Chicago + games in HD Real MRV (not that 2 tuner DRV driving 2 tv with 1 in SD) Lower Box rent costs only $6 per box after box one for any box. Free HD with AT&T combined billing.

also on Dish you need 120+ to get RSN's and TOP 250 to get VS.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
I am not into sports. Just the Bears games and I can catch them in HD on Dish or HD OTA.

--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to dave sz
said by dave sz:

I find it hard to believe that 95% of all households, or whatever ATT used for their stats, would not come close to the cap.

It's 97%. And I have reason to believe it. I am a heavier user than most I know, but my averages appear to be 50% to 66% of the 150 GB cap.

Figure it is the true technophile who watches TV shows delivered by Netflix. Everybody I know watches TV delivered by AT&T (U-verse), Comcast, or satellite. One, who has a home network, doesn't even have file sharing set up on the LAN. When I ask, I get a blank stare, and am asked, "Why share my files?"
--
Norman

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
I agree. I thought I was a heavy user. We do game, download and stream Netflix. But with an average of 76GB used in a month.

We are not on the internet 24/7 or streaming/downloading/uploading or running servers 24/7. That is not normal use.
--

NWTSCL

join:2009-06-07
reply to gvd
I'm actually on the west coast, but I'm seeing the same thing here. I'm running DD-WRT, which shows data usage. My modem (Speedstream 5100) shows it as well. The meters on both show very similar numbers.

Yet AT&T's meter is overstating usage every week, by as much as 6 GB each week.

I have called AT&T to discuss this several times. Each time, every person (tier 1 & tier 2) say that they aren't aware of AT&T's meter. But after showing it to them and discussing it further, they insist that AT&T's meter is absolutely correct. Interesting how they can go from not knowing about it to believing it is 100% accurate within a few minutes.

I asked them to explain how both my router and modem (which they gave me and has firmware that AT&T altered) can say one amount, yet their own meter is very different, but they have no real answer every time.

And isn't it amazing how their meter ALWAYS over-states usage, never under-states? Sounds exactly like their cellphone data usage. There is a lawsuit pending about their cell phone inaccuracies. Only a matter of time before one exists about broadband internet too.

Shiv8

@sbcglobal.net
My At&T broadband meter is showing 2x the usage per week than my modem is/does. I wouldn't consider 76-250 gigs a heavy user it's when they get to about 500 gigs to terabytes that they should consider someone a heavy user. you have to consider that movies are about 4 gigs in size and some software is near 10 gigs in size, not to mention the many software patches that some software requires to work which can be up to many gigs in size. All AT&T wants is more money and if they have to screw the consumer to do than so be it they don't care.

gvd

join:2011-01-03
Skokie, IL
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Tomato? DD-WRT? I can't run them on my D-Link DIR-655!. All I get is how many packets are sent/received. In case you are not aware, not all routers have Tomato, or DD-WRT installed. Even those that are capable of flashing those firmwares; many don't bother. Which is why I asked for context. Until you brought up those custom router firmwares, there was no context to understand your statement.

In the very first post of the thread I said that I was running dd-wrt. Don't know where your problem lies.

There is no universal multiplier that anyone can give you that will magically convert packets to number of bytes. Packets can be anywhere from 1 to 1492 bytes, and the average is who knows because it varies explicitly based on your specific traffic.

The upshot is that your equipment doesn't have the ability to measure what you want it to measure. You either need to change the equipment, change the software that's running on it (if possible), or find some other way to measure your traffic. No-one said it'd be easy, and no-one owes you an easy solution except yourself.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by gvd:

In the very first post of the thread I said that I was running dd-wrt. Don't know where your problem lies.

Probably in the fact that I was replying to 'sotxbill', who was commenting on my comment about my rig, and what it was measuring.
--
Norman

ArcFault

@sbcglobal.net
Mine is completely broken this week - it appears that no data has accumulated for two weeks or something is otherwise wrong with the meter.

Calling AT&T and speaking to several people left me with a few very weird conversations about the future of the metering, and I'm really hesitant to post the things I heard AT&T reps say because some of the stuff was pretty out there. People are NOT happy with the caps or the metering.

I'm just going to send a polite certified letter to the OOP and see what (if anything) happens to fix my meter.

pmshop

@sbcglobal.net
reply to gvd
Funny, caps have been in place since May 2, 2011 and Texas can't see their usage down here. "Under construction and don't worry about it" the page says.

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
"Maintenance In Progress

AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later."

What a joke.
--
Yeah, it's kind of like that.

jadebangle
Premium
join:2007-05-22
kudos:1
said by dslwanter:

"Maintenance In Progress

AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later."

What a joke.

the cap is in place and u're scared
scared of more pay?
scared of meter bar?
you're so funny
baaa baaa baaa!
lol

tekwyzrd

join:2009-12-02
Cleveland, OH
reply to gvd
I find it disturbing that the usage meter for my account shows almost 10 GB of data for the two week period of May 12th - May 26th since during this period the connection speed was often 224k due to the bad wires. It's nowhere near the cap but even so I think it shows the meter is inaccurate. There's no way I was transferring almost 1 GB per day with a 224k connection. A large portion is probably retransmission of data lost due to dropped connections and noise. With this metered data use increased line noise means more lost data and more data transferred.

bushmaster20

@sbcglobal.net
We just blew past our 150 limit this month, the past two months though we've been significantly under. This month though since all the TV shows have been ending, we've been watching a lot more hulu and netflix streaming.

I installed Netlimiter on my HTPC to see how much bandwidth it used to stream a movie and we watched one. It came in at 1.3GB for 90 minutes. So that's going to be a significant impact.

However I also have no doubt that ATT is over billing. Or rather from a consumers point of view we're using X amount and from their point of view we're using Y amount because they're taking into account re-transmissions because of their crappy network and ATM/PPoE overhead as others have already said. There could also be inaccuracy in their metering as well.

There already is a class action lawsuit goign on against ATT for their caps. There's no reason why DSL is locked at 150 when the same 6mbps service on U-Verse internet only service gets 250. They're using it to force heavy bandwidth users into a different service. So hopefully this lawsuit goes someplace. If they are overbilling though, there's no doubt the techies out there are going to uncover it. We don't live in a day and age where they can get away with that kind of stuff anymore, but i'm sure they'll try to until they get their knuckles slapped by the FCC or someone.

NWTSCL

When cable started placing caps some 5 years ago, they were at 250 GB. For AT&T to cap at 100 GB lower they must be saying that their infrastructure is much worse than cable was back then.

My modem and router (separate pieces of hardware) have data meters that are showing very similar amounts. Yet AT&T's is consistently higher by some 15-20%. They need to be open about what data they are collecting, how they are measuring it, and where in the infrastructure they are measuring. Openness is the only way their customers will trust them.

EricPost

@sbcglobal.net
reply to gvd
My usage meter has been stuck since the 26th. What bugs me, besides the cap is that it's four days behind, so you can't really judge how much Internet you're using. For instance if I'm at 132g at 5/26 then it's 5/31 I can't really tell how much I've downloaded.

I can keep track myself, but my usage meter is way off compared to what I figure. I can't figure out how I uploaded half a gb when my computer wasn't even on for one day. I guess it must be timing. Perhaps they don't use a midnight to midnight range or something

NWTSCL

Right. Certainly, countless users would be satisfied if AT&T was open about what they are doing. Give an honest explanation about the variances that we are seeing. Explain what, where, and how. Don't hide it. Will they be open? I'm not holding my breath.

FBecht

join:2010-02-23
Elmhurst, IL
Open?! AT&T... NEVER. They lie, cheat and steal with every breath, Ma Bell is Back with a Vengeance !
I got the email about the caps, tried it once - seemed high. Today I tried again, same address they supplied and... NOTHING! Get an error message:

Current High Speed Internet Data Usage Details

USG310: We are sorry, but we are unable to display your Internet usage.You must access this tool using your primary AT U-verse or DSL account.Please try again.

Is that BS or what. Forget support - they heard you to a useless forum that would be more at home on Facebook. Your other option is live chat (right) or CALL THEM - and wait 45 minutes for someone to answer.

It's getting worse folks, and our options for HS DSL are getting smaller. Now, just where can I go?