how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jhb16082

join:2010-07-18
Monroeton, PA

[DSL] How to replace DSL modem?

I was thinking on the backup options... If my Actiontec GT724WGR DSL modem breaks, how do I replace that? I know I have to ask Actiontec to replace that but not sure how. And I have Frontier DSL, and my old Sagemcom SE567 DSL modem sucks. But how od I beg Frontier ot provide me only the DSL modem, not modem/router? I know Frontier will say, "Oh, this is the only modem we provided."

My Actiontec modem works better than Frontier's modem. My Actiontec modem can let me print wireless with my HP Deskjet 3050, with no problems. But strangely enough, Sagemcom SE567 won't let me print wireless.... even with the ip address changes. Strange yes?

That's just a thought. I'll definely replace my Actiontec modem, but I end up keeping Sagemcom modem also because it is what Frontier orginally gives me.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

You do not have to use a modem supplied by Frontier, you can purchase your own. Many have a wizard that will guide you through setup or that will auto configure. All you will need to know to use the wizard is your primary account user name and password, the remaining items will be detected and configured by the wizard.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium
join:2003-06-03
USA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

4 edits
reply to jhb16082

After working with the SE567 ad dealing with the constant issues of NAT3 I bridged the SE567 and hooked up a "WRT54GL with tomato 1.28 firmware" I decided to later reset the SE567 to default and buy my own modem. Things haven't been better.

DSL modem setup as bridged, It still has the web interface and it is still a modem/router but all the features are ignored if setup as bridged so it still runs like a dumb modem.

VCP 0/35 UNSPECIFIED bit rate, bridged.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···25112008

New router setup as PPPoE with tomato 1.28 OpenDNS DynDNS the works. Even set it up to see the modems web pages through the router. It's just adorable no issues connecting to PSN on PS3 everything just works.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33124190

For about $100 for both, but if you don't know much about programming modems or routers avoid buying your own modems or routers. The reason is if you call up frontier for help they'll deny you assistance or charge you money for configurations. The techs aren't trained for other stuff basically so you're on your own (outside forum help) once you setup your own devices

For the most part most modem routers can be setup to bridge like I listed above including the SE567

As for your wireless printer no idea.

jhb16082

Monroeton, PA

It's ok. Thanks for your suggestion. and I'm more experienced on networking. so I am aware... But I will try Linksys trick but I'll have ot rebridge my modem again to use the Linksys modem hm.

jhb16082

Monroeton, PA

...and actutally the setting for VPI and VCI is 8 and 35 .

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Click for full size
My 0/35 setup
Mine is 0/35 I found it funny though that I could use PPPoA, PPPoE and other configurations and still get a working connection. If it wasn't for my one frontier modem going bad and my niece getting her own DSL installed I probably wouldn't have known about the PPPoE capabilities in this area.
--
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart

Iyashii

join:2010-02-03
Rolling Prairie, IN
reply to jhb16082

Just talked to Frontier regarding this same matter.

Apparently, nowadays the only "Modems" they offer are "Modem/Router" combos.

But on the flip side, they said their Internet supports any brand Modem, so I can go grab whatever I want and shouldn't have issues.

Sucks I have to spend the $$ on it, but after a year you own the "Modem" and are eligible for an upgrade ever year, I just don't want what they have.

Regardless I'm happy I can grab a new modem of my choice.

jhb16082

Monroeton, PA

Iyashii I agree.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
reply to Iyashii

Iyashii - I whole heartily agree. I don't want them fooling with my equipment so I use a separate modem and router. Plus I want something that I can depend on.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Hank:

Iyashii - I whole heartily agree. I don't want them fooling with my equipment so I use a separate modem and router. Plus I want something that I can depend on.

This was another reason I decided to choose my own setup. Setting up the firewall to block the open ports and configuration features made me feel uncomfortable. These things should be options. We can't really disable them without literally replacing these devices with our own.

Also having open source router firmware opens up worlds of capabilities that don't exist with the basic modem/routers frontier provides.
--
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart

Iyashii

Rolling Prairie, IN

I like my Linksys WRT54GL loaded with the latest Tomato firmware.
xD

Yea we can configure our setup with the ISP's hardware, but I never found ISP hardware up to par with what I can buy on my own.

Nothing against them, their equipment works great for everyday people, I suppose, but I rather not be limited on their hardware.

If ya want to have full control of your home network, best to pony up the cash and get your own equipment.

Plus I'm really liking Frontier lol.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Iyashii did you recently install Tomato? I was reading your other post. It didn't say anything about tomato. I assume you just recently installed it to resolve issues with the linksys.
--
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart

Iyashii

Rolling Prairie, IN

Well, I could not get my Westell 7500 to properly bridge to any router with any firmware.

I recently mentioned Tomato because that was the whole reason I bought my Linksys WRT54GL router, to use with Tomato.

The problem was never the Linksys router, but my Westell 7500 modem.
I couldn't get it to bridge with the Linksys, factory firmware or Tomato.