uniqs
share rss forum feed

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

April Fool's?

Damn, it's March 20th

I left AT&T for T-Mobile and actually got better service. I wonder how this pans out now...

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1

said by loli:

Damn, it's March 20th

I left AT&T for T-Mobile and actually got better service. I wonder how this pans out now...

from service prospective as long as at&t doesnt shutdown towers the service should be same if not better since your have more towers covering larger area

but as with any such huge purchese there only way to get the money back is to cut some towers out you just have to hope the one near you isnt the one they get red of (some towers are under contract to so might be few years before they tear it down or they may keep it up because of growing bandwith needs)

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..

said by zed2608:

said by loli:

Damn, it's March 20th

from service prospective as long as at&t doesnt shutdown towers the service should be same if not better since your have more towers covering larger area

but as with any such huge purchese there only way to get the money back is to cut some towers out you just have to hope the one near you isnt the one they get red of (some towers are under contract to so might be few years before they tear it down or they may keep it up because of growing bandwith needs)

Yeah, that's a given but I hope cost doesn't go up. On a family plan and it's priced alot better when we checked out Verizon/ATT. Grandfather or not.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

said by loli:

Yeah, that's a given but I hope cost doesn't go up. On a family plan and it's priced a lot better when we checked out Verizon/ATT. Grandfather or not.

As long as you are under the contract, your cost should remain unchanged. If they change the cost or service levels in any way, they have to let you out of the contract without having to pay an ETF.

Of course, I have a feeling that once your contract expires, they will try to migrate you off of T-Mobile's legacy network and onto AT&T's.

I am curious to see what AT&T is planning to do with the 1700/AWS spectrum that T-Mobile uses for their 3G. They obviously have to keep it up and running for 2 years following the merger to cover the T-Mobile customers who just signed contracts (or let them out early). But once these contracts are done with, AT&T does not have any incentive to keep that service up.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

alpovs

join:2009-08-08
reply to loli

I had the same thought - it's not April 1st, yet.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
reply to zed2608

Assuming that they don't begin offloading ATT customers onto T-Mobile towers, this degrading the quality for former t-mobile users.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Pirate515

said by Pirate515:

I am curious to see what AT&T is planning to do with the 1700/AWS spectrum that T-Mobile uses for their 3G. They obviously have to keep it up and running for 2 years following the merger to cover the T-Mobile customers who just signed contracts (or let them out early). But once these contracts are done with, AT&T does not have any incentive to keep that service up.

A huge portion of the $39B ATT is paying is tied up in that spectrum. What do you suppose they will do with it -- give it back to the government at no cost, sell it to somebody else and have to give 33 million T-Mobile customers new handsets for free, or use it?

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to tiger72

said by tiger72:

Assuming that they don't begin offloading AT&T customers onto T-Mobile towers, this degrading the quality for former T-Mobile users.

That actually is a possibility, at least short term until AT&T rolls out LTE, which if the merger happens, T-Mobile customers should also get access to. Here's my reasoning for this:

•Although T-Mobile's coverage area is smaller than that of Verizon or AT&T, if they do have presence in any given area, the quality of service is stellar. Little if any dropped calls and consistent data speeds.
•From majority of complaints about AT&T, it seems like they are having problems in major metropolitan areas (e.g. NYC, San Francisco), most likely due to over-congestion. So if it is technologically possible to have T-Mobile towers serve AT&T customers and vice versa, why not do it? The major concern though is, T-Mobile is very small compared to AT&T, so if you throw a huge load of traffic onto their towers, they could crumble just as AT&T's own did.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...