All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
paulo500
join:2006-02-22

paulo500

My Acanac speeds...slow

I don't know what it is, but my DSL speed is getting worse and worse. I'd say my upload speeds is suffering the most. To the point now my Voip is becoming unusual at times.
Here is my latest speedtest.net test: (Im just north of Toronto)

The Acanac speed test is this:
Download Speed: 2543 kbps (317.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 429 kbps (53.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Why do my speeds fluctuate so much? I thought DSL is suppose to be more stable for each user than cable?

What are my options? Is there a way for Acanac/Bell to test our phone lines here in my sub-division?

Other DSL companies are offering Cable but not available in my town yet. (Although i was with Robbers cable internet here a couple years ago.)
bridge
join:2008-08-11
Montreal, QC

bridge

For speedtest.net, you should try different server, try the one in Toronto, Ontario to see if your speed is the same than the one with Acanac speed test. According to your Acanac speed test, you profile is probably on 3Mbps and 5Kbps instead of 5Mbps and 800 Kbps, If it is the case, Acanac will have to ask Bell to rise you profile if your line can handle it.

And if you can, post you modem stat, we need to seed margin and attenuation.
paulo500

paulo500

Ok thanks for the info. Here is my speeds for tonight via toronto server. Grade D+ Ouch. (Better than my F before...)

Ping is definitely better right now. Which usually happens at night i find. But download speed is still relatively constant. I've never seen it below 3mbps.

How do i inquire with Acanac to modify my line speed?

My modem is a TP-Link (TD-8816).
SNR Margin
Downstream = 19.0 db
Upstream = 8.0 db

Line Attenuation
Downstream = 30.5 db
Upstream = 19.0 db

Data Rate
Downstream = 3008 kbps
Upstream = 800 kbps
bridge
Montreal, QC

bridge

You can pm Acanac support using this form: »www.acanac.com/contactus.php and ask to get your profile raise to 5Mbps. Keep every ticket that Acanac will send you by email just in case.

Make sure to write you Acanac user name, address and phone number.
paulo500

paulo500

Ok i emailed them today and was able to set up a profile check and raise it to 5mbps. This was during the work day, they confirmed that they will submit a technical support ticket to the Bell Help Desk to identify the problem. I got home today and check my modem specs just to see if by chance something happened. Seems like they are quick! I restarted my modem just to make sure.

SNR Margin
Downstream = 10.0 db
Upstream = 19.0 db

Line Attenuation
Downstream = 30.5 db
Upstream = 19.0 db

Data Rate
Downstream = 5056 kbps
Upstream = 512 kbps

And another speedtest...

Still a grade "D"...weird.

Im shocked things can happen this quickly. All it takes a is a quick phone call (email) and my speed jumps up. Of course it looks like i've lost a bit of the upload, but i guess that's the trade off. Im hopping it doesn't affect my voip. I need to test it for a few days. If it's worse, then I guess ill have to switch it back to the original 3mbps/800 setting.

Luckily i didn't have to pay the $100 Bell fee.
bridge
Montreal, QC

bridge

They lower your upload speed, probably because of your snr margin Upstream = 8.0 db you had before, they have to lower it to make sure you won't have any disconnection, sometimes, when they let the upload speed at 800 and they raise the download speed, the snr margin drop too low. It's free to raise a profile since they don't have to go to your place, they can do it at the central office.

For the D maybe Acanac PN or fergless could explain it better then me.
paulo500

paulo500

Thanks for your quick responses darknestgirl! You were very helpful.
bridge
Montreal, QC

bridge

Your welcome.

Acanac PN
Acanac Support
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Montreal, QC

Acanac PN to paulo500

Premium Member

to paulo500
Please send me a message, I can check the lantern and if any notes were added to the file.
The inconsistent ping is not a good thing, but it depends of other stuff, including your cables, jacks etc.

Thank you
paulo500

paulo500

Hi, Pm sent.
Thanks.

Here are today's speeds for curiosity...

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

Looks like you're on Interleaved, I used to get pings that high.
paulo500

paulo500

Is there any way to correct that, or is it just something to do with my location and it's nothing i can do?
bridge
Montreal, QC

bridge

(guys correct me if i'm wrong) But looking at your stat before the profile upgrade and after, i think you should keep it that way, cause if they put you in fastpath instead of interleaved, your snr margin could get lower and you could end up with disconnection.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Fergless to paulo500

Premium Member

to paulo500
Nothing you could do on your end, you'd need to ask Support to have it changed *** if the line is stable enough ***.
paulo500

paulo500

Well its been a few days and things seem to be OK for the most part.

But, im just running a couple tests right now though and speeds aren't so hot for some reason.
Time of day? (9pm?)

Toronto:

Chicago:

Modem stats still show 5056/512. Must be something to do with Bell or just a bad area in my small town.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

I'd try the Acanac Speed Test »www.acanac.ca/speedtest/

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Click for full size
Road Runner 15/.5

Road Runner 15/.5

Click for full size
Optonline 15/2

Optonline 15/2

said by Fergless:

I'd try the Acanac Speed Test »www.acanac.ca/speedtest/

I think you need to have that test looked at. I tested from two locations, and had massively overstated results on the downloads.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers to Fergless

Mod

to Fergless

The upload won't finish for me.

The cogeco test is the one I normally use I like the java tests better.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

That's strange. 2Line MLPPP here.

Acanac Speed Test:
Download Speed: 8504 kbps (1063 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1169 kbps (146.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
March-29-11 9:03:55 PM

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers

Mod

I tried it again just now and it finished fine, must have been a gremlin earlier.

I do get a faster download speed than from any other test.
paulo500

paulo500

Not bad tonight. Upload is still iffy... But atleast voip was perfectly fine tonight.

This is from the Acanac speed test.
Download Speed: 4258 kbps (532.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 352 kbps (44 KB/sec transfer rate)
Tue 29 Mar 2011 10:43:15 PM EST

And Toronto speedtest.net:

I also changed my voip server location from Toronto to Chicago for better ping times. I dont know why, but Chicago has always had excellent pings for me. (For gaming too). They must be a city of fiber optics. lol