Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

Cause

The reason this is happening is because in T-Mobile's last financial report they outlined plans to dramatically expand their coverage to Verizon-quality and become a true fourth competitor. Then you have Lightsquared coming online in 2012 and you suddenly have 5 networks. This is a preemptive strike by AT&T to prevent any true competition from forming in the market.

I don't know the details, but I imagine AT&T severely overpaid for T-Mobile's stock to make sure the deal went through as quickly as possible.

SBC did the exact same thing when they overpaid for AT&T to prevent them from going national and seriously competing with them.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by sonicmerlin:

I don't know the details, but I imagine AT&T severely overpaid for T-Mobile's stock to make sure the deal went through as quickly as possible.

SBC did the exact same thing when they overpaid for AT&T to prevent them from going national and seriously competing with them.

T-Mobile's assets are ESTIMATED to be worth about $16.8 billion based on 12.4x estimated earnings. AT&T is paying $39 billion for those assets. So, it certainly looks like they are overpaying. I'll be interested to see what AT&T's stock opens up at on Monday morning.

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-0···m-a.html

Based on the median value of 12.4 times earnings for mobile-phone companies around the world, T-Mobile USA would have a market capitalization of $16.8 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH

said by FFH:

said by sonicmerlin:

T-Mobile's assets are ESTIMATED to be worth about $16.8 billion based on 12.4x estimated earnings. AT&T is paying $39 billion for those assets. So, it certainly looks like they are overpaying. I'll be interested to see what AT&T's stock opens up at on Monday morning.

Based on the median value of 12.4 times earnings for mobile-phone companies around the world, T-Mobile USA would have a market capitalization of $16.8 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Well at least your fantasy world is coming to fruition in the US.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by sonicmerlin:

said by FFH:

said by sonicmerlin:

Well at least your fantasy world is coming to fruition in the US.

And how in "my fantasy world" is it good that a US company overpays for a German subsidiary?
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH

said by FFH:

And how in "my fantasy world" is it good that a US company overpays for a German subsidiary?

Because this deal is good for AT&T. They're avoiding a future price war from 2012 on that would cost them billions every year for the foreseeable future.

They are ironically thinking long term.

Also your endlessly patronizing smilies at the end of all your comments in this thread betrays your jovial disposition to the news.