spc
Search similar:

uniqs

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Hope It Fails

As long as I have had a cell phone I have been a T-Mobile customer because of the price and value they offered. Just as I avoid the gigantic banks because of their myriad collection of fees and lousy interest rates, I avoid AT&T and VZW because they are the most expensive providers of what should be a commodity service.

What AT&T is really looking forward to is 35 million new people to gouge with higher fees and lousier plans. I don't for one minute believe they will continue to offer the kinds of value plans that T-Mobile offers even though they claim the merger will save $40 billion. Save for who? If anything, the customers will get even higher charges.

I have a 500 minute a month plan with unlimited nights and weekends for $29.99/month without a contract. Am I stupid enough to think AT&T will let me keep THAT plan as long as I choose to be a customer? Fat chance! They will probably tell me I need an unwanted smartphone (have an iPod Touch 4 that I am happy with) with 300 minutes a month, text package and data plan for $89.99. I recall the problems the old AT&T Blue customers went through after Cingular took over the old AT&T and I don't think us T-Mobile customers will fare any better.

I am all for competition and I hope the FTC sees this for what it is. If anything, I could accept a buyout if it was something along the lines of Rogers/Fido in Canada. A wholely owned subsidiary that was free to set its own rates and plans. They could share the network but would each retain their own customers.

MyEye
The eyes have it
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Natick, MA

MyEye

Premium Member

Re: Hope It Fails - covering my eye.

said by n2jtx:

I have a 500 minute a month plan with unlimited nights and weekends for $29.99/month without a contract. Am I stupid enough to think AT&T will let me keep THAT plan as long as I choose to be a customer? Fat chance! They will probably tell me I need an unwanted smartphone (have an iPod Touch 4 that I am happy with) with 300 minutes a month, text package and data plan for $89.99.

Yes, 500! Me too ... the non-contract part was a welcome path to purchase a non-advertised Nokia phone which meets all my needs and works with well with T-mobile. I probably could have predicted something like this would happen, though. It almost always follows a product purchase that I can really afford and am totally satisfied with ... like a few obsolete artifacts floating around my Warehouse 13 basement!

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx

Re: Hope It Fails

said by n2jtx:

I am all for competition and I hope the FTC sees this for what it is. If anything, I could accept a buyout if it was something along the lines of Rogers/Fido in Canada. A wholely owned subsidiary that was free to set its own rates and plans. They could share the network but would each retain their own customers.

That's not the way it is... Fido is just a brand of Rogers.... nothing like the Fido before they got bought out