uniqs
share rss forum feed

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX

So do you have capped service? Yet?

Last Friday's bombshell that at&t is going to start charging for overages was painful to see. I thought about jumping to cable but Comcast service seems just as bad and in some cases could be worse. So I spent the weekend stewing about it. Then I saw this thread: »Alternatives in Houston

I started wondering what other who face this have done or are planning to do?

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

AT&T had a few things going with the no cap and more competitive prices but the gears have shifted for sure.
I was surprised they wouldn't allow two lines for one residential customer anymore which prompted another user to jump to Comcast Business Class where there are no caps.
AT&T really shot themselves in the foot and other providers are defiantly going to profit from this.
I wish Comcast would remove their 250gb cap for residential and condone AT&T and mock their caps, it would be another nail in their coffin but that's just to much forward thinking.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

tuta23

join:2003-08-16
Houston, TX
reply to Flippant

AT&T has always had this cap in place, but they never enforced it. I remember a lot of shouting about the AT&T one when Comcast started with theirs.

The fact remains, this is all gearing up towards a'la carte internet pricing.

The caps will go lower and lower and ISPs will begin to offer deals... Special this month!! For only $4 a month, unlimited access to YouTube! or -- unlimited streaming from Netflix for only $10 a month

/sigh

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX

said by tuta23:

AT&T has always had this cap in place, but they never enforced it.

Without an action on overage it cannot be a cap, just a monitor on usage.

It seems that with greater speed they feel the need to protect their network infrastructure that has not kept pace. So we consumers can get blazing speeds but can't use it very much. For a while people have been blaming u-verse for crappy DSL service. Well now it appears that the crappy DSL service is getting even worse.

I have had good past experience with at&t but if my family usage causes overages, and I cannot immediately get u-verse (still currently not available) I am gone.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

comcast really hasn't changed anything from before the soft cap

before the comcast soft cap if you were in the top .1% you didn't get a call or anything just poof your gone and couldn't get service from them for life

after the soft cap went inplace they barred themself from going after you unless you went over 250GB and even then will just give you a call telling you to cool it and the 2nd call is a 1 year ban (much better than the pre-cap policy and to even get the 1st call you have to be on a congested node and be the cause of the congestion)

so in compairing the ATT cap w/ overages and tons of fees to the comcast one with a nice warring then 1 year of no internet if you failed to head the warrning clearly ATT is worse as you will always get their overages if you go over 250 but on comcast you likely won't hear a peep

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
reply to tuta23

said by tuta23:

AT&T has always had this cap in place, but they never enforced it.

No, they haven't.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX
reply to DarkLogix

I hate this one step forward two steps back, as in you can get bigger bandwidth, but you just can't use very much. I hope the next set of commercials we see is "Our caps are higher than yours" until we get back to unlimited service again. Instead I suspect that there will be new tiers of service that include different cap sizes first. Which I guess I have less of a problem with.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Flippant

I gave up on ATT when it was still just SW Bell.
I abandoned Comcast when it was still branded under TimeWarner (I believe even then Comcast & TW had a 50/50 stake locally, but they traded markets a few years ago)

I currently use Clear.
WiMax comes with its own set of hazards, but I haven't experienced throttling in my area even though I am a heavy streamer. And there is no cap.

And best of all, its not The Deathstar or Comcrap.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX

Thanks for the suggestion, I am very open to change here.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Flippant

said by Flippant:

I hate this one step forward two steps back, as in you can get bigger bandwidth, but you just can't use very much. I hope the next set of commercials we see is "Our caps are higher than yours" until we get back to unlimited service again. Instead I suspect that there will be new tiers of service that include different cap sizes first. Which I guess I have less of a problem with.

ya well at least the 2 call rule and a stated amount means that your internet doesn't just go poof one night

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Flippant

The cap is 150 GB per month. According the AT&T rep that provided the information, this will affect around 2% of their users. The limit will go into affect on 2 May 2011. They plan to mail more information around that time.

There is no way that I will ever go over the cap.
--
Team Discovery

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX

said by marti:

There is no way that I will ever go over the cap.

I am unsure of how we will fare, but I have an 18 yo who is on the net every waking moment he is at home and a wife who loves to stream tv shows on her iPad and we stream Netflix movies often. I work from home around 4 days a month using vpn and remote desktop. I am not sure we can live under the cap and well I guess we will need to see how it works out. I may need the 250GB cap of Comcast, or likely end up shopping around for a new solution.

This will impact large families more heavily. I guess at&t internet services are not very family friendly.

deke40
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Texas
reply to Flippant

I must not be doing the right things on the net as just before finding this thread I had checked my usage(which I didn't know was there) for the last three months averaged out to 12GB a month.

Guess I better get busy and see if I can increase my usage up to an acceptable level.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

what a disgrace
go watch some netfilx HD or hulu 480P and throw in some 1080P youtube then for good measure download all the linux ISO's you can