kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

U-verse Internet Max-D free modem?

Click for full size
When I go to AT&T and look up »www.att.com/dsl/shop/plansDirect.jsp, I enter my address and then I'm shown a bunch of UVerse "DSL Plan Details".

Under the 12 Mbps > Options I see the text header "Special Offer: Order now and get a FREE Modem with Wireless Router ($75 value) after rebate. "

So, free modem, 250 GB cap, twice as fast as my DSL Elite, same price as I am paying now, month-to-month contract. Let's do it.

Instead of "Add to Cart", my choice is to "Call to Order". When I click "Call to Order" I get this popup:
We're talking serious speed for serious Internet users. AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus and
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max are our highest speeds available.

Call us at 1-877-833-7174.

Note: Before you call to order Max Plus or Max, please read the following:

* Currently, Max Plus and Max cannot be a part any AT&T combined billing statement and will be separately billed.
* Max Plus requires an onsite technician visit, which is an additional charge.

Not ready to upgrade to our highest speed? Simply close this window and continue your order online.

So, I call to order. The guy tells me this deal is not available for my address ... which is the same address I entered online. But I can get the other UVerse deal at the same monthly price ... and $100 for the modem.

What am I missing here, besides how to upload my screen capture in a useful size? (OK, I just click on the image and it blows up to readable size. Almost ten years here, you'd think I'd have figured that out before now. )
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Max & Max Plus are now being offered out of the CO as ADSL2+ IPDSLAM U-Verse, which uses the $75 Moto 2210 + Linksys/Cicso E1000 Router. So basically to qualify, you have to live decently close to the CO

Max & Max Plus that takes a $100 Gateway is the VDSL2 VRAD U-Verse that uses the 2Wire 3600

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by ILpt4U:

Max & Max Plus are now being offered out of the CO as ADSL2+ IPDSLAM U-Verse, which uses the $75 Moto 2210 + Linksys/Cicso E1000 Router. So basically to qualify, you have to live decently close to the CO

Max & Max Plus that takes a $100 Gateway is the VDSL2 VRAD U-Verse that uses the 2Wire 3600

OK, that makes sense. Can you define decently close? Shouldn't 12 Mbps be possible for me?

VRAD to my NID = 1200 ft.
CO to my NID = 2800 ft. (850m)

From my 4100 DSL modem:
140 Current Rate 6016 768
141 Previous Rate 6016000 768000
142 DSL Max Rate - -
143 DSL Min Rate - -
144 Current ATTN DR 6016 -
145 Current SNRM 12.5 12.0
146 Current LATN - -
147 Current SATN 24.5 -
148 Current TP - 5.5

I checked a couple of online spots and one graph shows about 14 Mbps to 800m. Another thread here is saying 12 Mbps up to 6000 ft. I didn't see benchmarks in the IP-DSLAM FAQ.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Yeah you should be good

I am about 8-9k feet from my CO, and my ADSL2+ Max Rate varies from 9-11 Mbps

You are probably close enough for Max Plus

The Upstream rates are lower on the IPDSLAM versions of Max & Max Plus than the VRAD versions FYI

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by ILpt4U:

Yeah you should be good

Thanks.

Now, how do I get the call center order people to change their line from "You can only get the VRAD version with the $100 modem" to "You can get the CO version with the free modem"?

Did I just get the wrong person, is the online system suspect, or is something else afoot?
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

IPDSLAM is the key word

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by ILpt4U:

IPDSLAM is the key word

That's pretty funny. Maybe I should just call back. I used the terms VRAD and IP DSLAM and he said "I don't know, I'm not a technical guy, I just know the system tells me if you can have the option that takes the $75 modem or the $100 modem."

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to ILpt4U

I thought Max Plus was 18Mbps? Didn't know they could do 18Mbps on ADSL2+?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to ArgMeMatey

When I ordered IPDSLAM Internet, the CSR on the phone knew exactly what I was ordering

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to WhyMe420

said by WhyMe420:

If you live close enough to the CO

»/speak/slidesh···Mg%3D%3D

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1

What's the up on the "Max Plus?" Same as "Max?" 768Kbps?

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
reply to ArgMeMatey

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ILpt4U

said by ILpt4U:

said by WhyMe420:

If you live close enough to the CO

»/speak/slidesh···Mg%3D%3D

Thanks for the chart.

Next time I need to remember to start this process on a day that I already have a headache.

I didn't get on IP-DSLAM, but I think, I think, I got on VDSL without paying for the modem and without subscribing to UVerse TV or Phone.

I called this morning and got the same story - IP-DSLAM service for my address is no longer being offered. What was different was the guy today qualified me for 12 Mbps and said I could get the $100 UVerse modem with a $100 rebate gift card. I questioned this because it's not online, so he said he'd make sure he'd put the rebate deal in there.

I got the order confirmation e-mail in a few minutes and there was no mention of the $100 rebate, so the chat guy in India told me to call sales 800-288-2020 and the rebate center 877-258-1427 and check with them. Rebate center? High call volume. Forget it.

I called sales and explained the deal to the guy there. He told me there was nothing about a $100 rebate on my order, nor was there a current offer on that, but if I ordered TV for six months I'd get the equipment for free. But, I'm not interested in that, so I told him I needed his help canceling the order and making sure that my existing DSL was not affected.

He then transferred me to retention. (Not even a customer yet, and they're already sending me to retention. This is some relationship, huh, team?). I explained the whole story again of the original $75 online modem rebate ... and she said she would put a note in for a $100 bill credit after the first billing cycle. So I just need to call after I get my first bill, and make sure the credit goes through.

I find it funny that I won't be a customer of U-Verse, I'll be a "member". I think they hired some marketing folks out of Saturn! Installation is scheduled for April 6th.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb