spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wh00kah

join:2011-03-22

Raleigh or RDU using Sprint Wimax as Home connection?

Hey gang,

Well, now that our local cable company (roadrunner) seems to
be seriously throttling usenet and p2p almost all night now, it's
time to evaluate the competition. Problem is, as a person that works from home, I need a kinda stable connection. I've
heard alot of horror stories about Clear, but I don't really see
the same about Sprint 4g/3g-fallback.

I see that Sprint doesn't have a "home" modem, just the USB and the Overdrive.What are folks using as their main home
connection, the USB or the Overdrive? I have _alot_ of devices, two are desktops that have only 100/1000 ethernet, not wifi.

Just wondering what the best solution would be. The speeds some people are getting seem really great if it holds. Thanks!

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
As someone else pointed out in another thread, if you dig through Sprint's website enough you'll find that they quietly sell a home modem.

»shop2.sprint.com/en/solutions/mo···es.shtml

As for the throttling, I contend that it's tower-based and so you may or may not experience being throttled based on the number of users sharing your tower and how those other subscribers are using their connection. I also believe that there are more reports for throttling on Clear because the service was marketed for home use much more than Sprint's branding of the service. I'm sure criggs See Profile will post any second to disagree with me.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to wh00kah
You are considering wireless with it's low caps for your "work from home"? Why not just get a business internet account like a responsible business instead of impacting others with excessive data use on a tower that will seriously effect their use?

Check out Sprint and Verizon for their caps.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to wh00kah
said by wh00kah:

I've
heard alot of horror stories about Clear, but I don't really see
the same about Sprint 4g/3g-fallback.

For reasons that are still somewhat unclear. If you review the postings in Sprint's own forums, and compare those with the postings in the Clear forums, the difference is like night and day.

Some, like espaeth (hi, espaeth!), have theorized that that is due to Sprint's smaller subscriber base, which renders them less vulnerable to congestion and throttling. I've never been too sure that's what's going on however. Sprint's calling card is unlimited, unlimited phone, unlimited Internet, etc. etc. I've always suspected that they've made some sort of arrangement with Clearwire to "tag" Sprint users as protected, in some way. But that's sheer speculation on my part, and I can't prove it.

But I do know that I've been a Sprint 4G customer since November, my primary usage is in very busy bustling midtown Manhattan, and I can literally count on the fingers of one hand the number of times when my 4G has been slower than usual, and every time that's happened the "slow" download speed has been around 3 to 4 mbps, which is still well within Sprint's average download speed specs.

said by wh00kah:

What are folks using as their main home
connection, the USB or the Overdrive?

I started out on the U600, which worked fine for 4G, but that was having problems with my 3G. So they switched me to the U250, and now I get both good 4G and 3G, most of the time.

I'd actually like the Overdrive, but they didn't offer it to me when I signed up, and apparently it's a lot extra because of the Hotspot feature.

By the way, on the basis of your message, I see no indication that you are in any way an irresponsible business person, or that you are excessively impacting others. If I were you, I'd ignore the gratuitous hostility that showed up here from, er, SOME users.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to espaeth
said by espaeth:

I'm sure criggs See Profile will post any second to disagree with me.

Sorry to be so late