uniqs
share rss forum feed

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Roofer

Re: unblock-us works, but how do you pay?

Just try signing up as usual with your Canadian credit card, it should be working now since they made a bunch of changes in the signup. Myself I signed up months ago with no issues on my Canadian Amex.

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

said by mlerner:

Just try signing up as usual with your Canadian credit card, it should be working now since they made a bunch of changes in the signup. Myself I signed up months ago with no issues on my Canadian Amex.

Thanks. Is this the American site?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by Roofer:

said by mlerner:

Thanks. Is this the American site?

Yes.

Jeffer71

join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to um not

Re: Anyone using Unblock-us?

said by um not :

said by VPNgeek:

I wouldn't recommend Unblock-Us. I personally use HideMyAss. I find it much faster and more reliable.

Reliable? In what way? HideMyAss was the one who gave away their users to the cops in the UK.

Why would anyone use them?

They are now known throughout the whole Vpn community as rats because of that fiasco.

Here's a nice little write up on why you should NOT use Hidemyass and also why you should be very careful with choosing just any old Vpn service.

»falkvinge.net/2011/09/27/never-t···bitcoin/

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

said by Jeffer71:

said by um not :

said by VPNgeek:

I wouldn't recommend Unblock-Us. I personally use HideMyAss. I find it much faster and more reliable.

Reliable? In what way? HideMyAss was the one who gave away their users to the cops in the UK.

Why would anyone use them?

They are now known throughout the whole Vpn community as rats because of that fiasco.

Here's a nice little write up on why you should NOT use Hidemyass and also why you should be very careful with choosing just any old Vpn service.

»falkvinge.net/2011/09/27/never-t···bitcoin/

Not much of a fiasco, they gave out billing details as it states they will within 30 days in the fine print, if asked by law enforcement. The hacker could have used a prepaid card and the chain vpn method if he really wanted to hide.
Copyright issues are never going to be investigated that fast. You arent going to have law enforcement on your ass for using american netflix...... no one is coming after you for that, and if they were, it would take them months to get a court order to get the details, at which time they have erased all logs (as they only keep them for 30 days).
Hiding because you are hacking vs a bit of copyright infringement are very different things.

VPNgeek

join:2011-10-17
reply to um not

said by Roofer:

The difficult part is how do you pay Netflix? vudu is easy, as long as you have a legitimate credit card, it doesn't care what country it was issued from.

It should be the same thing with Netflix. I am using an European credit card for my Netflix account, at it works perfectly.

Bujanx2

join:2009-10-08
Ottawa, ON

I just tried to sign up for US Netflix account using my Canadian credit card... no dice... it keeps asking for my ZIP CODE, which I cant provide because i don't have one .. when I enter my canadian postal code associated with my credit card it fails.

NoAhBoDy99

@shawcable.net

said by Bujanx2:

I just tried to sign up for US Netflix account using my Canadian credit card... no dice... it keeps asking for my ZIP CODE, which I cant provide because i don't have one .. when I enter my canadian postal code associated with my credit card it fails.

You can use your Canadian Netflix account on the US site and see the US content. They used to block us but that has since been changed. When you connect to Netflix with a US IP on a Canadian account, it tells you you might see different content.

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

said by Bujanx2:

Use the numbers from your postal code, and add zeros to make it an American zip code. For example, if your postal code is B3T-2K9, then you can use 329 in combination with zeros, such as 32900, 30290, etc. Keep trying until you find one that works.

said by NoAhBoDy99 :

You can use your Canadian Netflix account on the US site and see the US content. They used to block us but that has since been changed. When you connect to Netflix with a US IP on a Canadian account, it tells you you might see different content.

One of the advantages of using an American Netflix account is that you have access to the intelligent recommendation feature. I don't believe that is available with the Canadian account. It has suggested a lot of good shows that I ended up enjoying, which I wouldn't have otherwise knew about.

Bujanx2

join:2009-10-08
Ottawa, ON
reply to NoAhBoDy99

I did the free trial of unblock us setu it up... it did not release new content on netflix but blocked Content that was available on my canadian netflix account... no new movies .. just restrictions because i appeared to be out of canada.

urby3

join:2010-05-21
Montreal, QC
reply to corster

said by corster:

If you do a tracert, you can see that using the Unblock-US service, only the websites on their list redirect through their proxy, any other website is resolved as normal.

Would there be a way to find out what sites are redirected and which aren't?
I still don't trust them... but then again I wouldn't trust any 3rd party. How much can be ascertained through dns? Only which sites are visited?

Nilism

join:2011-02-07
Edmonton, AB

I believe they have a list of sites that will work with their services. Pretty much any mainstream company that has multimedia available for consumption.

I've been using them successfully for months now. Primarily on my htpc, but sometimes I hook up the laptop to watch content.

I never do anything but view content when I am on their DNS servers ... haven't had any issues yet.

KimBeth

join:2012-01-23
reply to SpongeGuard

DNS services are fast, secure and it really works. I have been using unotelly.com (same as unblock-us if not better !) for about a year and it works well ! I have also signed up for unblock-us free trial but sadly the subscription will be over tomorrow and they don't offer channels free ! Guess will stick with unotelly's free channels !!!!

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to SpongeGuard

Unblock-us is great. I just recently started using them with my Netflix account and it's wonderful to now have access to so much more content. I was going to cancel the account originally with the piddly selection given to Canadians, but now I think it's worth it.

So easy to set up at the router level that you don't have to do anything on any device, you're just good to go. My Boxee Box Netflix app pulls all the US content now and I love it.

Thanks for the link to Unotelly.com It's worth checking out after my trial with Unblock-us is up.

Anderson99

I agree Unblock-Us is doing a good job. Also HMA and Pure VPN are worthy contestants. A couple of weeks ago, Pure VPN announced a new desktop application for Mac OS X. I haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to review, since it was the dealbreaker for me, when I choose HMA. Has anyone tried it?

Anderson99

reply to SpongeGuard

Unblock-us is a good choice, and so is Hidemyass and Pure VPN - my own two favorites. Last week, Pure VPN announced a new desktop application for Mac OS - something they didn't have until now. I am looking forward to give it a spin
--
I'm Anderson, the creator of vpncreative.com. I enjoy writing tutorials about Virtual Private Networks, Internet Security, and how to access otherwise blocked online content, such as Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, and more

wccannuck
Premium
join:2012-01-29
Victoria, BC

HI, I created a new account We launched a new service called unblockmedia.com; it's basically the same principle as unblock-us.

We also run a VPN service and I can tell you VPN's are trash for media. Basicly why we developed unblockmedia.com.

Legal?; yes currently official word from Netflix is nothing exists in the end user agreement to prevent you from using a VPN. Atlhough we got warned that it may change at anytime.

BBC yes they are 100% unblocked and some RTMP streams are proxied due to verfication on the CDN. We solved this by breaking the rtmpe and creating a buffering proxy.

BBC Legal? They state in the source code "modification of source code is against the end user agreement and you may face legal action" we didn't break that. Hence the proxy option for some BBC options.

RTMPE is weak; we even have the ability to record streams like a pvr for you. Although this becomes a legal issue so it won't happen.

We are Canadian based in Calgary; couple guys on west coast.
Security? we have a desktop app that switches it back and forth.

We have a backup VPN service for unblockmedia subscribers in case of outages.

You can get extended library for Netflix on AppleTV,xbox,360,WII,iPHONE, bah every device we support.

WATCH HD WITHOUT THE BUFFERING
www.unblockmedia.com

gonefishing1

join:2012-01-30
Airdrie, AB
reply to SpongeGuard

Hi I just setup the free trial for unblock- us and was able to get US netflix no problem but Hulu won't play a show just a commercial on my Apple TV 2. Anyone know what could be wrong?

thanks

alexpb1

Barrie, ON

said by gonefishing1:

Hi I just setup the free trial for unblock- us and was able to get US netflix no problem but Hulu won't play a show just a commercial on my Apple TV 2. Anyone know what could be wrong?

thanks

As it says on their website:

Free Hulu videos available only on computer.
All other devices require Hulu Plus subscription and device-specific applications. Boxee DOES NOT support Hulu and we can't "fix" it.

gonefishing1

Airdrie, AB
reply to SpongeGuard

Missed that part I guess. That sucks that I cannot use the Apple Tv 2. Oh well lots of other stuff toy use on it.

thanks

sv650s01

@stagename.com
reply to gonefishing1

I had this same issue. Here is what I did to get it working
1. Disable preload commercials
2. Set the cdn to akamai

I assume you're accessing hulu through xbmc.

gonefishing1

Airdrie, AB
reply to SpongeGuard

Hi, yes Hulu is using XBMC but on apple tv. I'm not sure about the preload commercials part or "2. Set the cdn to akamai" Kinda new to this stuff. I spent many hours playing around searching and stuff. So what does "2. Set the cdn to akamai" mean or how do you set apple tv for what you described?

thanks

urby3

join:2010-05-21
Montreal, QC

said by gonefishing1:

Hi, yes Hulu is using XBMC but on apple tv. I'm not sure about the preload commercials part or "2. Set the cdn to akamai" Kinda new to this stuff. I spent many hours playing around searching and stuff. So what does "2. Set the cdn to akamai" mean or how do you set apple tv for what you described?

thanks

You can find those options in the settings of the plugin. The Akamai one is on the second tab and the other one was set by default for me (no blue dot) on the third tab.

gonefishing1

Airdrie, AB
reply to SpongeGuard

working great now thanks for the help. CDN=akami pre-load =0

thanks

nickia

join:2003-08-17
reply to SpongeGuard

I haven't tried Unblock but I have been using UnoTelly.com since September and so far so good. It looks like UnoTelly has more channels than Unblock Us.

alexpb1

Barrie, ON

Like what? I am actually curious as I haven't tried the UnoTelly service yet.

KimBeth

1 edit
reply to nickia

said by nickia:

I haven't tried Unblock but I have been using UnoTelly.com since September and so far so good. It looks like UnoTelly has more channels than Unblock Us.

I have been using unotelly for a long time too. And yes it definitely has more channels.

KimBeth

reply to alexpb1

said by alexpb1:

The best thing that unotelly has is spotify (that too for free). Other than that some other channels like syfy and and pbs are also available. These are the channels I watch, I have no idea if there are any more...

alexpb1

Barrie, ON

said by KimBeth:

said by alexpb1:

The best thing that unotelly has is spotify (that too for free). Other than that some other channels like syfy and and pbs are also available. These are the channels I watch, I have no idea if there are any more...

Those are all available on Unblock-us lol
I've been using Spotify and Syfy and just checked PBS, they all work great.
Can anyone find something that UnoTelly offers that Unblock-us doesn't? I would switch if it's worthwhile.

raptors4ever

@rogers.com

CWTV just to start. I'm too lazy to list them all.