Re: Anyone using Unblock-us?

Yup.. raptor is right..CWTV is new from unotelly
BobSagget
join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to raptors4ever

to raptors4ever
said by raptors4ever :

CWTV just to start. I'm too lazy to list them all.

Not to sound like a dick, but...CWTV has worked on Unblock-us since i started using it 3 weeks ago (I like to watch Supernatural). Who knows how long before that.

If you are simply going by the list on Unblock-us.com of what they support, that's no good considering they support a whole bunch of stuff they don't have written down. The CW being one of them.

shaboyagan
@windstream.net

shaboyagan to SpongeGuard

Anon

to SpongeGuard
I live in the us and am trying to find a way to watch my local mlb team via a mlb.com subscription through my Roku. They blackout local teams based on your ip address. I wondered if unblock-us would give the appearance of a different location when plugged into my router and accessed via roku?? Anyone know the answer to that??

saabbaby
join:2011-12-12
Pierrefonds, QC

saabbaby to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
ive been using unblock-us and it works perfectly on my iphone and laptop, but its not working with my ps3...i entered the correct dns and all.

does anyone know if it would work with ebox's vpn, if so i would have no need to pay.

yyzUnderdog
Premium Member
join:2001-11-24
Mississauga, ON

yyzUnderdog to SpongeGuard

Premium Member

to SpongeGuard
Anyone use Spotify with unblock-us?
KimBeth
join:2012-01-23

KimBeth

said by yyzUnderdog:

Anyone use Spotify with unblock-us?

Yes! Spotify works with unblock-us. Although if you wanna get only spotify, I would suggest unotelly since it offers spotify free.
KimBeth

KimBeth to BobSagget

to BobSagget
said by BobSagget:

said by raptors4ever :

CWTV just to start. I'm too lazy to list them all.

Not to sound like a dick, but...CWTV has worked on Unblock-us since i started using it 3 weeks ago (I like to watch Supernatural). Who knows how long before that.

If you are simply going by the list on Unblock-us.com of what they support, that's no good considering they support a whole bunch of stuff they don't have written down. The CW being one of them.

Ya. Seems you are right!
It all comes down to personal preference while deciding a service. But unotelly might just be a little popular due to the fact that they offer some channels for free..
kuddles
join:2011-05-02
Ottawa, ON

kuddles to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
I noticed that the main website of unblock-us pretty much removes all information regarding what most people would plan to do with it, including within the testimonials. I wonder if they got in trouble somewhere or what was the reasoning for it.
BobSagget
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
Does anyone have trouble using cbc.ca/video with Unblock-Us on? I always have to turn it off if I want to use CBC's video streaming site because it thinks I am not in Canada.

UnoTelly seems to be the same way. Soon as I disable either one, CBC streams fine again.

I thought these services were only supposed to do their geo-location "trick" on select sites while other sites remain unaltered? Why would it effect CBC?

Quake110
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

Quake110

Premium Member

Do you have the Tomato or DD-WRT firmware? because it's possible to use Unblock-US only with specific websites.
»www.mereo.ca/2012/03/18/ ··· -tomato/

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to saabbaby

to saabbaby
said by saabbaby:

ive been using unblock-us and it works perfectly on my iphone and laptop, but its not working with my ps3...i entered the correct dns and all.

does anyone know if it would work with ebox's vpn, if so i would have no need to pay.

Not sure about ebox vpn. But I can tell you that unblock-us works perfectly with PS3's. I am using a PS3 Fat and PS3 Slim with the service (yes, sometimes simultaneously).
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
Couldnt I just exchange DNS addresses with a friend from the states instead of paying for a vpn?

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames

Premium Member

No

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
Unblock-us works great if you wanna watch the Blue Jays on mlbtv
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
Is there a unblockus EU equivalent?

Quake110
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

Quake110

Premium Member

Unblock-US also works with British channels such as the BBC, Channel4, Channel5...
LittleDevil
join:2012-04-12

LittleDevil to Doonz

to Doonz
I've been using UnoTelly for some time now...works great.
I use it to watch US channels, but you can also use it to watch UK blocked channels....

rodjames
Premium Member

rodjames to SpongeGuard

Premium Member

to SpongeGuard
I'm doing some research on how unblock-us works. I have DNS servers in the USA, so if anyone wants to help me out setting it up, I will reward you with free access.
lawrenson
join:2012-02-22

lawrenson

said by rodjames:

I'm doing some research on how unblock-us works.

Essentially it's just a proxy running on their servers rather than on your end.

Their DNS servers point to their own servers rather than Netflix's when you resolve most *.netflix.com subdomains.
Their servers are then proxying your requests (probably through something like Squid) to Netflix's servers.
BobSagget
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
Anyone using UnoTelly unable to load Netflix this morning?
I just get "waiting for netflix.com..." and then:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to netflix.com

Other sites like Hulu are working just fine through UnoTelly. As soon as I disable their DNS Netflix loads properly. So it doesn't seem to be on my end. Anyone else?

rodjames
Premium Member

rodjames to lawrenson

Premium Member

to lawrenson
So it's *just* proxying DNS traffic? I'd hate to be double-dipping on bandwidth charges. VPS traffic isn't cheap in some areas. I'm interested in getting this going though, I have done VPN it's shit simple.
BobSagget
Barrie, ON

BobSagget

said by BobSagget:

Anyone using UnoTelly unable to load Netflix this morning?
I just get "waiting for netflix.com..." and then:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to netflix.com

Other sites like Hulu are working just fine through UnoTelly. As soon as I disable their DNS Netflix loads properly. So it doesn't seem to be on my end. Anyone else?

It started working again like an hour later on it's on.
Chellspecker4
join:2012-05-16

Chellspecker4 to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
I don't understand how Unblock Us works or is supposed to work, but I signed up for it and set up my router according to the instructions on their website. I was using it to access American content on Netflix. Interestingly, some content available to Canadians is NOT available on American Netflix, certain foreign films I had enjoyed and wanted to watch with a friend (I highly recommend Black Book, a Dutch film about the WWII Nazi resistance movement in Holland) It was annoying to have to go into the router settings and change the settings back and forth when I wanted to access my own country's Netflix. But other than that inconvenience, it seems to work fine.

However, I just cancelled my service with them after three months. It seemed to be seriously interfering with my internet connection. I kept getting "unable to connect to x.com" messages, and had to go into Network settings Diagnostics (Mac OS 10.6.8) which seemed to shock it back into giving me an IP address. It would show that I had connection with a green light, but going into diagnostics showed my connection stopped at the IP point. Every few minutes my connection would again disappear. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, as of May 16, 2012? I'm currently troubleshooting this issue.

For now, cancelling the service and setting my DNS settings on my router back to auto seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know if the UnblockUs servers are overloaded or what. As I said, I don't understand the technical aspects of their service. All I can say is my internet was f*cked up to the point of uselessess. When i called my ISP tech support, they said it had to do with using Vuze, which I currently am not running. Unless Vuze is secretly running in the background messing with my internet, it seems more likely the Unblock Us router settings were causing the problem. I didn't bother to try to contact them. I'm going to see if not using their service fixes the problem, and if it does, seek another solution to watch U.S. Netflix in Canada. I'll reply if anything changes or it still slows down.

I just thought of a better solution: Netflix, why not go against the grain and just give us all the same content, big entertainment corporations be damned? All these workarounds for completely outdated geographically-based copyright and media access laws are getting tiresome and expensive.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus to rodjames

to rodjames
said by rodjames:

So it's *just* proxying DNS traffic? I'd hate to be double-dipping on bandwidth charges. VPS traffic isn't cheap in some areas. I'm interested in getting this going though, I have done VPN it's shit simple.

Yes, its a DNS server that points to their proxy, instead of the site.
The proxy then connects to netflix and other sites.
That is the reason why the service costs money, as DNS is free.
Because it can do authentication to its own proxy server before going to netflix and other sites, they can ensure you pay.
All other sites are then simply DNS lookups.

This is especially good for online poker players.
A VPN would identify you as American, and poker sites do not allow Americans to play anymore due to US Law.
With their DNS it only appears to the good sites as American/Unblock-us proxy.
To all the other sites you appear as the originating IP.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Chellspecker4

to Chellspecker4
said by Chellspecker4:

I just thought of a better solution: Netflix, why not go against the grain and just give us all the same content, big entertainment corporations be damned? All these workarounds for completely outdated geographically-based copyright and media access laws are getting tiresome and expensive.

They'd be hit with so many simultaneous lawsuits that they'd be vaporized. The way the antiquated model works, I believe this would pretty much be piracy on their part.

I gave unblock-us a try yesterday. Global have changed the Flash version on their web site, which means that I can no longer watch TV episodes using my Boxee Box. Using unblock-us I was able to watch them off the CBS web site (weird thing is that I got a few Canadian ads during the two shows I watched - not sure how the hell that happened). I didn't notice any particular problem while streaming. Not sure if I'll sign up right away since just about every season ended this week or last. I might wait until the fall, by which time the issue with Global may have been resolved (assuming Adobe finally update Flash Player for Linux CE...)
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
I use unblock us to get US netflix have to say Us netflix is almost as bad as Canadian Netflix, limited choices on both.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

said by DanteX:

I use unblock us to get US netflix have to say Us netflix is almost as bad as Canadian Netflix, limited choices on both.

I feel that way too. Though with unblock us you do get the combination of the two, with a little hassle. Still a better package than cable.

WaitForGodot
join:2009-01-07

WaitForGodot to Chellspecker4

to Chellspecker4
@Chellspecker

Have you tried using the new DNS Servers ? They appear to be better. Below is a recent FAQ I noticed on their site.

Last Updated: Apr 09, 2012 10:16PM EDT
We have introduced new DNS servers and updated all instructions. The new servers are on faster and more reliable infrastructure. The old and the new DNS servers provide identical functionality and while we don't have current plans to disconnect old servers, we expect all customers to use new DNS servers.

The new DNS servers are:
Primary DNS 208.122.23.22
Secondary DNS 208.122.23.23
BobSagget
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard
Has anyone tried TUNLR? Just came across them on a post on RedFlagDeals and they seem to offer the same service as Unblock-us and UnoTelly but for free. No subscription or sign up needed.

»tunlr.net/

The primary (preferred) DNS IP address is:

The secondary (alternate) DNS IP address is:

I am still using UnoTelly but if this is a good, free alternative than I will switch.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

1 edit

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Considering it's a free service, user beware.

"Tunlr is a fun project run by a few enthusiasts. We’re using Tunlr ourselves. We love it, and that’s why we wanted to share it with you."

If everyone starts using it I doubt it will be sustainable without added costs for more bandwidth and servers. I'm not sure they really thought that through.