join:2004-11-10
Corbyville, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
reply to SpongeGuard

Re: Anyone using Unblock-us?

I use unblock.us or whatever the guy is calling it or himself (was calling himself something roth in emails, now it's tim taylor...).

I had initially went that route because I was going to get an entropay account so I could get US netflix.
As soon as I assigned my real-life CC to my entropay account, they locked me out due to fraud concerns. Thankfully I hadn't loaded my account with any funds. So F them, If I want to pay for NF or hulu+ I'll just have to get one of those reloadable Visa gift cards.

Back on topic, I pay the $5 + HST(cheaper if you pay yearly) for usvideo/unblockus and it works quite well for the standard streaming sites like Hulu, fancast and Pandora radio.
I still can't get TBS working either through their website or Boxee. Usvideo support says it works fine on their end...

As for being trustworthy, I'd say they are, in so much as you trust any other faceless random company with your DNS queries.
That being said, I use a program called DNSjumper to move back and forth from my standard DNS on the LAN and USvideos servers whenever I'm doing more sensitive work on my media PC.

Since traffic doesn't pass through their servers there's no slowdowns or transfer limits as well and you still appear to be Canadian to our own sites so you don't get weird GEO-IP restrictions.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

if your computer has a VPN to a VPN server in the USA, how do you get it to use VPN to access certan sites, and use yor local comnection for the others (such as canadian sites) ?

Do you build routes via the VPN for specific destiations such as netflix ?

With regards to TBS: they may have clued in that IPs belonging o that VPN operator is coming from abroad and decided to block access.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

JF, unblock-us is not a VPN service. It uses some kind of DNS workaround. I suspect on their servers they have static DNS entries to point to the caching servers so the geolocation doesn't kick in. What Netflix and others would see is a Canadian IP but with millions of customers they aren't likely to look through every IP which is why they implement geo blocking.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

So, if the caching servers implement geoblocking, then this service becomes useless, right ?

Does this mean that if I run my own DNS, I would code in an entry for netflix.com pointing to thet ublock-us DNS server as being authoritative ?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by jfmezei:

So, if the caching servers implement geoblocking, then this service becomes useless, right ?

Does this mean that if I run my own DNS, I would code in an entry for netflix.com pointing to thet ublock-us DNS server as being authoritative ?

I suppose it's possible but I don't quite know how Netflix does their streaming portion or even if they'd care. I used my Canadian CC with them and they still let me sign up. Been using them for about two weeks and my Netflix trial is still active.

If you're talking about creating a secondary zone, I don't think that would work unless they allowed/added your DNS server IP. On my network what I did was setup a 3rd DNS server and configured it to forward lookup requests to their servers for zones not present on my DNS server.

My DHCP is running on a Windows server (yeah i know, I work for a software company selling Microsoft solutions) so for those devices I wanted to use for Netflix I just set it as a reservation and changed the DNS option.