share rss forum feed

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to jfmezei

Re: Anyone using Unblock-us?

JF, unblock-us is not a VPN service. It uses some kind of DNS workaround. I suspect on their servers they have static DNS entries to point to the caching servers so the geolocation doesn't kick in. What Netflix and others would see is a Canadian IP but with millions of customers they aren't likely to look through every IP which is why they implement geo blocking.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

So, if the caching servers implement geoblocking, then this service becomes useless, right ?

Does this mean that if I run my own DNS, I would code in an entry for netflix.com pointing to thet ublock-us DNS server as being authoritative ?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by jfmezei:

So, if the caching servers implement geoblocking, then this service becomes useless, right ?

Does this mean that if I run my own DNS, I would code in an entry for netflix.com pointing to thet ublock-us DNS server as being authoritative ?

I suppose it's possible but I don't quite know how Netflix does their streaming portion or even if they'd care. I used my Canadian CC with them and they still let me sign up. Been using them for about two weeks and my Netflix trial is still active.

If you're talking about creating a secondary zone, I don't think that would work unless they allowed/added your DNS server IP. On my network what I did was setup a 3rd DNS server and configured it to forward lookup requests to their servers for zones not present on my DNS server.

My DHCP is running on a Windows server (yeah i know, I work for a software company selling Microsoft solutions) so for those devices I wanted to use for Netflix I just set it as a reservation and changed the DNS option.