share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

How to blow through a 2Gb cap

Apple released an OS X update yesterday- Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo, 1.12GB

Add-in your e-mail, casual browsing, and whatnot.....and you're over 2Gb without blinking.

Admittedly there are ways of getting the OS updates using fewer bytes - by getting only the delta's, but even Apple (when pushed on the matter) recommends using the Combo (much like a Windows SP) to ensure the likelihood of fewer problems during the update.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

Mac OS X 10.6.7 combo update 1.12GB
iTunes 10.2.1 77.5 MB
Safari 5.0.4 39.3MB
iDVD 7.1.1 update 36MB
Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 4 78.2MB
Firefox 4 is about 27MB

So that's about 1.4GB just from updates and stuff.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by grunze510:

So that's about 1.4GB just from updates and stuff.

Fortunately, most people don't re-install their OS from scratch each month so service packs rarely happen more than once a year. Apart from OS and browsers/plugins, most other software only has a few updates per year as well.

That said though, I probably use ~2GB/month just with HTML (including images), PDFs and other non-software/video/audio/interactive stuff.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

that's nothing, I have 3 of my 83 Steam games installed for 27Gb

Supreme Commander 2 alone is 4.9Gb

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
reply to MaynardKrebs

I plugged in my rarely-used Powerbook G4 notebook yesterday, checked updates, and it said the MacOS 10.5.8 alone was 768 MB!

My mother's Bell Essential Internet package (in Quebec) is only 1 GB usage. I often wonder if she hasn't come close to going over with just virus definition updates. Trying to convince her to switch to TSI, which is what I use.

grunze510

Cote Saint-Luc, QC

said by IIgs:

I plugged in my rarely-used Powerbook G4 notebook yesterday, checked updates, and it said the MacOS 10.5.8 alone was 768 MB!

My mother's Bell Essential Internet package (in Quebec) is only 1 GB usage. I often wonder if she hasn't come close to going over with just virus definition updates. Trying to convince her to switch to TSI, which is what I use.

TSI Lite unlimited DSL costs LESS than BHell Essential with a 1GB cap. $24.95 vs $27.95 ($22.95 w/ bundle discount).

TFArchive
Premium
join:2003-02-03
Gloucester, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

After 2 weeks this month my iphone is at 2GB and that is without tethering.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by TFArchive:

You've been monetized....and will be repeatedly.
How's it feel?

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
reply to grunze510

said by grunze510:

TSI Lite unlimited DSL costs LESS than BHell Essential with a 1GB cap. $24.95 vs $27.95 ($22.95 w/ bundle discount).

She has Internet AND phone, so gets a $10 discount off her total bill. Thing is her Internet Essentials is something like $32/month, with the cost of the modem rental, so she may be paying FAR more than TSI. Problem is convincing her something other than BHell is reliable and safe to use. I've explained how evil and corrupt they've become but she's still several decades behind in where they stand and what they've become.

No problem setting her up with a modem and router (I've got plenty) but I am concerned about UBB down the line.

Kim Paynter

join:2011-02-13
Edson, AB

My 500MB/day cap sucks on Xplornet satellite I have to do all of my updates between midnight and 5AM to get past the cap. Check with your ISP and see if they have a unlimited time you can do yours.

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to TFArchive

said by TFArchive:

I am at about 2.5 - 3GB (rough estimate) with an android. However I never check my usage - I use mobilicity (read: unlimited data)

grunze510

Cote Saint-Luc, QC

Apple released a bug fix update for iOS today. Even though it's just a couple of bug fixes, you still need to download the whole thing. 666MB

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

said by grunze510:

Apple released a bug fix update for iOS today. Even though it's just a couple of bug fixes, you still need to download the whole thing. 666MB

Ohh I forgot about iOS. When you own iPhone 4, an iPad, and an iPod touch 4g it adds up. That's 650 megs for each device. 1.8 GB every 2 months! Well it really doesn't bother me as I do TBs a month but to the people that have a 2GB caps, stay away from Apple mobile devices lol.