spc
uniqs
Iyashii
join:2010-02-03
Rolling Prairie, IN

Iyashii to jhb16082

to jhb16082

Re: [DSL] How to replace DSL modem?

Just talked to Frontier regarding this same matter.

Apparently, nowadays the only "Modems" they offer are "Modem/Router" combos.

But on the flip side, they said their Internet supports any brand Modem, so I can go grab whatever I want and shouldn't have issues.

Sucks I have to spend the $$ on it, but after a year you own the "Modem" and are eligible for an upgrade ever year, I just don't want what they have.

Regardless I'm happy I can grab a new modem of my choice.
jhb16082
join:2010-07-18
Monroeton, PA

jhb16082

Iyashii I agree.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to Iyashii

Premium Member

to Iyashii
Iyashii - I whole heartily agree. I don't want them fooling with my equipment so I use a separate modem and router. Plus I want something that I can depend on.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

said by Hank:

Iyashii - I whole heartily agree. I don't want them fooling with my equipment so I use a separate modem and router. Plus I want something that I can depend on.

This was another reason I decided to choose my own setup. Setting up the firewall to block the open ports and configuration features made me feel uncomfortable. These things should be options. We can't really disable them without literally replacing these devices with our own.

Also having open source router firmware opens up worlds of capabilities that don't exist with the basic modem/routers frontier provides.
Iyashii
Rolling Prairie, IN

Iyashii

I like my Linksys WRT54GL loaded with the latest Tomato firmware.
xD

Yea we can configure our setup with the ISP's hardware, but I never found ISP hardware up to par with what I can buy on my own.

Nothing against them, their equipment works great for everyday people, I suppose, but I rather not be limited on their hardware.

If ya want to have full control of your home network, best to pony up the cash and get your own equipment.

Plus I'm really liking Frontier lol.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

Iyashii did you recently install Tomato? I was reading your other post. It didn't say anything about tomato. I assume you just recently installed it to resolve issues with the linksys.
Iyashii
Rolling Prairie, IN

Iyashii

Well, I could not get my Westell 7500 to properly bridge to any router with any firmware.

I recently mentioned Tomato because that was the whole reason I bought my Linksys WRT54GL router, to use with Tomato.

The problem was never the Linksys router, but my Westell 7500 modem.
I couldn't get it to bridge with the Linksys, factory firmware or Tomato.