how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Meatball

join:2006-03-26
reply to jasonv31

Re: Strange "Packet Loss" Issue

Man, I wish I could get the Moto. So even more drama in my sage. Over the last few weeks I've started to notice sites resolving DNS slowly or even timing out. Figuring it was the TWC DNS servers I started trying a few public options and it was just as bad, so I guessed it was the modem. Though I wasn't positive since I was still getting great speedtest results.

I jumped on the Direct Support forum for TWC here on DSLReports, and let them know what I was running into. They checked into and noticed that some of the channels were not bonding correctly to the modem, so set up a tech appointment. Tech shows up, he can't seem to find any problem, but swaps the modem out anyways. Of course, for another Ubee DDW3611 and he didn't have anything else on the truck.

The best part is, he calls in to get them to activate the new one, and they have it in their system that I actually have the Motorolla, that just a month ago they told me wasn't compatible and I couldn't use, so I returned, and they can't do anything till they 'balance' things on their end. Poor tech had to stand here for an hour to swap out a modem because their back end systems were wrong.

So far the modem is actually working better and I haven't had any major issues, but who knows for how long. Not that there's a lot I can do anyways. If I call TWC tech support or even drive down to the local office, I get the same keystone cops act that they have no idea about other modems or even what DOCSIS 3.0 is.

At this point, I'm just going start calling in every week and try to see if I can find anyone that has any clue what I'm talking about. Complete waste of my time, complete waste of their time/money, and all because they don't want to give their technicians 30 minutes worth of training on DOCSIS 3 and the modems that support it.

Batavian

join:2003-10-27
Batavia, NY
Please keep us posted on your saga Meatball. I can attest I'm running into the same issues here in Rochester NY. My situation is that my Ubee DDW3611 has problem resolving dynamic DNS for a minute or so when I start any of my computers. It does eventually start working somehow, but that's hardly what I would expect for paying 50% premium than my old DOCSIS 2.0 service.

I wouldn't pursue much with the "tech" that comes to your house. Chances are he doesn't even work for TW. More likely someone that TW contracts out. That was my case. When I starting asking him questions about the Ubee, his response was "Dude, this Ubee is awesome!" This while fielding calls as his girlfriend's baby daddy.

The actual Time Warner employees at the TW office, to their credit, did at least know the difference between DC2 and DC3. And did know that there are Surfboards available. They ordered me one out of the Rochester NY main office which I hope to pick up next week. I will keep you posted on my progress.

One possible solution I've seen using the Ubee's, is calling TW and having them walk you through dumbing down the Ubee as a bridge, and using your own router for your NAT & wireless. This would give you better control over your settings if all the Ubee was doing is passing through the signal.

Good luck.