Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cinobyte
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Black Mountain, NC

charter phone modem and cable modem question

I noticed the phone modem that charter installed as a cat5 connection. can i bypass my internet modem and just use the one device for internet and phone service?

Charter is telling us that our modem will not carry 16mb service because its a docsis 2.0 and we need 3.0. i know this is not true since i get solid 16 one day but then we get .97 the next yes .97 lol it usually around 8mb.
I have had 2 techs visits and numerous calls wit support.

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

What is the model of the equipment?

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC

internet modem is moto sb5120 surfboard the phone is arris TM602A/110

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

16 meg service is now 18 meg as of about a month ago.
You are correct that a DOCSIS 2 modem like a 5120 will handle that just fine. This assumes that it is connected to the computer and/or router by ethernet and you are not trying to go direct to a PC by USB.
When you go to speedtest.net what do you see for speed? Powerboost should make it show way more than 18 megs.

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC

this is no joke i had a .97 tonight. that is really the lowest i have seen ever. My speed fluctuates between 6-12 mb but i do see 16ish on occasion.

I have spoken with tech support on the phone and chat many times. I have had 2 visits with actual charter techs to test line and such. and the day he walked out i was hitting 8mb and said if its not better by mon to call back. this has been going on for at least three months.

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL

192.168.100.1 is the modem ip address. What do the downstream and upstream power levels look like, also the downstream snr.

krommulent

join:2010-04-07
reply to Cinobyte

the policy is that anything more than base speed is supposed to be doc 3. however 2 should do 18 just fine in most areas.

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC
reply to lineofsight

down is 7db up is 51 db. the first time the tech was here he told me that all my lines were on there own tap and that i was running really hot I can not rem how high he said it was though

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC
reply to krommulent

The tech told me that charter really would not do much as long as i reached "i think" 60% of my speed since it was only best effort service. oddly enough i do not 98% of the time

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL
reply to Cinobyte

power level of 51 up is on the upper limit. Have they tried a different modem? I assume the arris is on a splitter with the surfboard. Have you tried eliminating the splitter and just going direct to the surfboard temporarily?

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC

no I have not dropped out the splitter. would that not push me over the recommended spec? He did replace that particular splitter in hopes it would help.

I take it dropping the moto and connecting to the arris is a no go idea? I would have to spoof my mac i guess

side note
My DVR is terrible when the internet is having issues. slow response ect just does odd stuff.

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC
reply to lineofsight

sorry i forgot No he did not try another modem. I also forgot to mention i do have a router in the mix but I always have the same results when i drop the router out and connect directly to the modem. its a netgear WNDR3300

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

Why not call tech support and tell them you want to consolidate on the arris? But first I would try just the 5120 without the splitter. The more splitters, couplers, etc the higher the upstream power levels. Lower is better. Mine is 45 this morning. My Downstream power is 0. My downstream SNR is 35 db. I use a SB6120.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Cinobyte

Docsis 2 modems are capable of speeds up to 38Mbps, with no problem.

In your case though, I would definitely consider consolidating the phone and internet though.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC
reply to lineofsight

I will remove the splitter today and see what happens then I will contact them to try and consolidate.
thanks

sittin_tech

join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN
kudos:1

1 edit

a splitter should not change your internet speed. most likely its one of two things going on here.
1 your downstream snr is dropping causing your speeds to be slow. that can be checked at the 192.168.100.1 or
2 your docsis 2 modem is running out of available bandwidth.

docsis 2.0 and lower pull data from one data channel. the total bandwidth per channel per node is 38M. so if you have 3 people with docsis 2.0 modems on the same data channel all with 18M service trying to pull full speed at once, someone is going to miss out. 18 x 3 = 54 only 38M to work with.

docsis 3.0 modems use channel bonding meaning they are pulling form 4 data channels simultaneously. so if you have 3 people with docsis 3.0 modems all with 18M service trying to pull full speed at once everyone is happy 18 x 3 = 54 with 152M to work with meaning there still 98M left over for everyone else to use.

this is why everyone above a base tier should upgrade to a docsis 3.0 modem.

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC

i dropped out the splitter and a few speed test all averaged about 8 mb.

the new power levels are.
down is 37 snr and 16db on power
up is 43 db

So should i call and have them switch to only the arris?

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
reply to Cinobyte

post in »/forum/charterdirect link to this thread im sure they can get all your problems fixed

hotshot187

join:2008-04-07
Webster, NY

your downstream power is now too high.

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN
reply to Cinobyte

tell us how charter direct forum works for you

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC

will do

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC
reply to zed2608

well charter direct was super fast at setting up the service call. the service call well not much to say there.... lets just say i still have the same problem i had 3 months ago.

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN
reply to Cinobyte

well post in same thread about what hapapned with service call

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC

I already did

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN
reply to Cinobyte

also maybe ask for credit for your trubles when its all done

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC
reply to Cinobyte

Just to update no change in service......

lazysusan

@98.125.125.x
reply to Cinobyte

up levels vs down levels do not make sense in your case ,my guess would be problem (ie water) in drop or tap. or possibly a reverse attenuator on back of modem

Cinobyte
Premium
Black Mountain, NC
reply to Cinobyte

i don't disagree. I just know my service is 1/3 what I pay for and they seem to have given up on trying to resolve it

Expand your moderator at work