spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tuna

@gblx.net

'Mail server for "[ourdomain]" unreachable for too lon

We are receiving complaints that when some users with @bellsouth.net email addresses send mail to our domain, they sometimes receive undeliverables containing 'Mail server for "[ourdomain]" unreachable for too long'.

We receive thousands of emails per day and the complaints are only from @bellsouth.net users.

The failures we receive are all similar to the one below...

------------------------
From: MAILER-DAEMON@nm30.access.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com
Subject: Failure Notice
To: [USERNAME]@bellsouth.net
Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 8:06 AM

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

>:
Mail server for "OURCOMPANYNAME.com" unreachable for too long
------------------------

This seems to have begun on March 21, 2011, but we have made no changes in our environment since then. Is this something on my side or on the bellsouth/yahoo/at&t side? Any ideas?

Thanks!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Re: 'Mail server for "[ourdomain]" unreachable for too

said by Tuna :

This seems to have begun on March 21, 2011, but we have made no changes in our environment since then. Is this something on my side or on the bellsouth/yahoo/at&t side? Any ideas?

Bellsouth is history; it is just AT&T now. AT&T (way back when it was still SBC) has outsourced email to Yahoo!.

I don't even know what your domain is, so I can't play around to see what is up. You might try a 'dig {%YOUR_COMPANY_DOMAIN%} mx' and see what comes up. That is based on a Windows port of the 'dig' command, don't know all the parameters available for *NIX.

Could still be an AT&T issue; but if it is just 'bellsouth.net', but not 'pacbell.net', that is curious; both domains are maintained by AT&T.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Tuna

@gblx.net
Further information since this morning....

One of our engineers discovered that two of the yahoo mail servers listed in the message headers are listed on a blacklist.

From a header on March 17th: Received: from [98.139.44.101] by nm24.access.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP;

From a different email header on March 21st: Received: from [98.139.44.103] by nm30.access.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP;

Both 98.139.44.101 and 98.139.44.103 show up on a blacklist, which you can see by entering the addresses at »www.mxtoolbox.com/.

I initiated a chat session with AT&T support, using a link I found on the AT&T forum, »forums.att.com/cng, and they refused to escalate my issue, saying that the customer has to contact them directly.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Since it is your email server that is rejecting the Yahoo! email servers, it would seem to be your responsibility to configure your email server to not do that.

Relying entirely on a third party blacklist is always a risky proposition.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

AccessAna

join:2011-06-02
Marysville, CA
reply to Tuna
Per ATT-Yahoo, security to your yahoo account is likely compromised suggest changing the password per »help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/c···pam.html

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by AccessAna:

Per ATT-Yahoo, security to your yahoo account is likely compromised suggest changing the password per »help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/c···pam.html

Where in this long deceased thread did you determine that the OP even has a Yahoo account (and what would that have to do with the topic of this thread)?
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
Pearland, TX
kudos:4
said by NetFixer:

said by AccessAna:

Where in this long deceased thread did you determine that the OP even has a Yahoo account (and what would that have to do with the topic of this thread)?

you made me laugh Netfixer...

AccessAna looks like a new member here that suddenly popped up to post something in reply to a AT&T subscriber's problem...but was way too off...just like Tier 1 tech support or customer service agents reading scripts to troubleshoot a problem.

Is she a planted customer service agent or tech support?

I encountered one from the Uverse forums and she's making comments like she's going to help in her own free time and should be able to fix problems...

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by medbuyer:

said by NetFixer:

said by AccessAna:

you made me laugh Netfixer...

AccessAna looks like a new member here that suddenly popped up to post something in reply to a AT&T subscriber's problem...but was way too off...just like Tier 1 tech support or customer service agents reading scripts to troubleshoot a problem.

Is she a planted customer service agent or tech support?

I encountered one from the Uverse forums and she's making comments like she's going to help in her own free time and should be able to fix problems...

You may be right about the planted agent. AT&T is the master of astroturf sales. I got a snail mail ad from AT&T yesterday that was disquised to look like a personal letter telling me about the wonderous benifits of signing up for a DSL Direct line. The envelope was printed in a script font meant to look hand written (and there was no AT&T return address), and the ad itself was made to look like a photocopied magazine ad with hand written annotations of praise from an (unnamed) friend.
--