uniqs

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Question About Image Used for News Piece?

I have a question about the image used in the news piece ... what thread is that from? The user is highlighting uTorrent usage only and we don't know for how many days. uTorrent always reports 31 days, as that's set via the Transfer Cap option, it's not a value based on the actual number of days.

The numbers and methodology don't add up.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

2 edits

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

It was pulled from a discussion thread because I wanted an image showing the meter -- you're right though, doesn't really show much just showing the P2P meter compared to overall usage -- though I thought it was the best of the bunch in terms of users dealing with these new caps in everyday use. Changed it to a simple image from the AT&T usage tool...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 recommendations

NormanS to Matt3

MVM

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

I have a question about the image used in the news piece ... what thread is that from?

This thread:

»AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Specifically, this post:

»Re: AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Please note that I did include a caveat. The two measurements are out of synch for the start dates. My plan is to reset the uTorrent usage report as close to midnight as possible on the start date of the next AT&T measurement cycle. I am also looking for software which can convert the D-Link DIR-655 router packet count, because the uTorrent meter only measures Torrent usage, but not any other usage. I'd like to monitor from my router to account for all usage to the WAN from my LAN.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by Matt3:

I have a question about the image used in the news piece ... what thread is that from?

This thread:

»AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Specifically, this post:

»Re: AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Please note that I did include a caveat. The two measurements are out of synch for the start dates. My plan is to reset the uTorrent usage report as close to midnight as possible on the start date of the next AT&T measurement cycle. I am also looking for software which can convert the D-Link DIR-655 router packet count, because the uTorrent meter only measures Torrent usage, but not any other usage. I'd like to monitor from my router to account for all usage to the WAN from my LAN.

I figured there was a caveat posted, but just wanted to be sure. I looked for something to monitor the DIR-655 I used to have, but aside from the D-Link utility, which as you noted only reports the packet count, I never could find anything.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Matt3:

I figured there was a caveat posted, but just wanted to be sure. I looked for something to monitor the DIR-655 I used to have, but aside from the D-Link utility, which as you noted only reports the packet count, I never could find anything.

There is another problem I am trying to sort. Just what is the metric AT&T is using. And what metric should I apply to the router packets. I.e., how can I be sure that I am measuring the same thing AT&T is measuring? It seems that AT&T is balking at explaining there metric, so how do I know what I will be paying for when they start UBB?

AT&T obviously considers their subscribers to be mushrooms: Keep them in the dark and feed them bullshit.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by Matt3:

There is another problem I am trying to sort. Just what is the metric AT&T is using. And what metric should I apply to the router packets. I.e., how can I be sure that I am measuring the same thing AT&T is measuring? It seems that AT&T is balking at explaining there metric, so how do I know what I will be paying for when they start UBB?

AT&T obviously considers their subscribers to be mushrooms: Keep them in the dark and feed them bullshit.

I don't know if you'll be able to directly correlate packets to data transferred. Data packets can be of varying size, depending on the payload. For example, a full 1500 byte packet may be used when you're sending a large file ... because the payload if full, but a small DNS request won't exceed 576 bytes. They would both register as a one packet however.

You're right on the money about AT&T need to explain their methodology. They need to explain how they are measuring the traffic and at what point in the infrastructure. ATM and/or PPPoE overhead seem like a cost of doing business to me and the customer should not be penalized for that.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

"As we noted earlier in the week, AT&T's decision to measure from the DSLAM could be increasing usage estimates because that would include ATM and PPPoE overhead. AT&T didn't offer us a comment on that.

The company did suggest ...
quote:
some tools could be to blame. ... most likely do not take into account the standard network protocols (e.g. Ethernet, IP) that are used to provide applications and content to our customers via the Internet," says Bloom. "As you know, this is fairly standard to incorporate when measuring broadband traffic ...
"