share rss forum feed

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to NormanS

Re: Question About Image Used for News Piece?

said by NormanS:

said by Matt3:

I figured there was a caveat posted, but just wanted to be sure. I looked for something to monitor the DIR-655 I used to have, but aside from the D-Link utility, which as you noted only reports the packet count, I never could find anything.

There is another problem I am trying to sort. Just what is the metric AT&T is using. And what metric should I apply to the router packets. I.e., how can I be sure that I am measuring the same thing AT&T is measuring? It seems that AT&T is balking at explaining there metric, so how do I know what I will be paying for when they start UBB?

AT&T obviously considers their subscribers to be mushrooms: Keep them in the dark and feed them bullshit.

I don't know if you'll be able to directly correlate packets to data transferred. Data packets can be of varying size, depending on the payload. For example, a full 1500 byte packet may be used when you're sending a large file ... because the payload if full, but a small DNS request won't exceed 576 bytes. They would both register as a one packet however.

You're right on the money about AT&T need to explain their methodology. They need to explain how they are measuring the traffic and at what point in the infrastructure. ATM and/or PPPoE overhead seem like a cost of doing business to me and the customer should not be penalized for that.