spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gihad

@rogers.com

Best non-rogers/non-bell ISP for Downtown Toronto ?

Hello all,

I will be moving to downtown Toronto mid April, I currently live in Guelph and I am with rogers cable, the price I pay is too high to say, I'm ashamed.

What is the best non-rogers/non-bell ISP for downtown Toronto ? I will be on Richmond street E, 10 mins from the Eaton Centre.

I hear a lot about TekSavy, is that the best ?
The quality of my Internet connection right now is really good, it's always downloading at full speeds, actually I download files at 3400 KB/s, the problem is the price.

I realize I will have to go down to 15MB/s with smaller ISPs, but I Would like a service that is stable, that the speed doesn't change to 1MB/s during peak hours.

Thanks!
Gihad.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
»www.canadianisp.com has a list of indie ISPs.

Most of the ISPs listed on that website offer DSL, while only a few offer cable. I think TekSavvy, and Distributel (And 3web who is owned by Distributel. And Acanac who has some sort of marriage with them in the process.) offer Cable in your area.

fmdream

join:2011-03-21
Toronto, ON
reply to Gihad
TekSavvy Cable Speed is excellent for whole day except Peak Hours (8:00 PM to 11:59 PM) if you are ok then go with them as upgrade with update their capacity from 1GB to 2GB in Downtown Toronto (Bloor POI)

Speed during Peak Hours Evening

Speed during rest of the Day

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to Gihad
you could always try to find one of those buildings that have telus ethernet internet. I forgot which buildings those are though, but i'm sure someone will post it in a bit.

Gihad

@rogers.com
reply to fmdream
I already got a condo on richmond.

The thing about the speed going down during peak hours is what I didnt want. Those are the hours that I will be using the internet the most. The ping also seems to go up during peak. I didnt understand the part about teksavy's link upgrade from 1gb to 2gb.

So there is no ISP with stable speeds ?

eboxmby

@electronicbox.net
Electronicbox.net announced the câble internet Will be offered in gta This year. I guess you Will be able to get Full speed.

grunze510

Cote Saint-Luc, QC
reply to Gihad
said by Gihad :

The thing about the speed going down during peak hours is what I didnt want. Those are the hours that I will be using the internet the most. The ping also seems to go up during peak. I didnt understand the part about teksavy's link upgrade from 1gb to 2gb.

The speed goes down during peak hours because TekSavvy needs to upgrade their capacity. As you said, you'll be using your internet the most during the peak hours, as would most people, hence why it's called peak hours. Anyway, TekSavvy is in the process of upgrading their links from 1Gbit/s to 2Gbit/s. Once they do that, the speed should be good for some time.

Zombie999

join:2004-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to Gihad
I live in the exact area.
Speed on teksavvy cable has been really consistent till recently. No downtime at all. I used to have Rogers cable, it would slow down during peak times and sometimes it would go down for hours.

I found speeds on DSL to be more consistent. I've used Bell for years. No slow downs and ping is usually better than cable. I would believe teksavvy DSL would be very good as well.

Gihad

@rogers.com
Hey,
It is good to know that the problem also exists with rogers, at least I wont't feel like I'm having the problem just because I'm paying less for a smaller ISP.

I guess the service in smaller towns is better, here in Guelph, ON I have 25Mb/s w/ Rogers and it's always stable, no disconnects, in fact it's even better than 25Mb/s, it is always at this speed even during peak hours:

I guess in Toronto we have to settle for developing-country Internet Connection quality.

grunze510

Cote Saint-Luc, QC
That's speedboost. It only lasts for about 5 seconds of a download. Once you download 10MB of something, your speed will slow down to 25/1 Mbit/s (3125/125 KB/s) (or whatever speed you're paying for).

gihad

@uoguelph.ca
Humm, I understand that 25000/8 = 3125.
In reality I download at around 3300 KB/s from usenet servers, which is not 44Mb/s but it's more than 25.

Whatever it is, the person above me that posted a speed test used the same tool, so the results should be comparable.

So the conclusion is that there is no stable (in terms of speed not varying during peak hours) cable ISP in Downtown Toronto?