uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

TWC built-in restrictions SHOULD not be sue-able

Since the TWC setup for the iPad app makes users have both TWC TV & broadband access with TWC, all this is doing is allowing TV to be watched on a smaller device by those already paying to see it anyway. Hollyweird may sue but, just like with the remote server based DVR system Cablevision had set up, they will have a good chance of losing in court.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
This is what I was thinking. Time Warner only lets you watch TV content via their iPad app if:

1. You are a Time Warner cable subscriber who already has access to the same content via your cable package
2. You are using it at home on your Time Warner Internet service

Given those restrictions, there is effectively no difference between this iPad app and another television in your house. I imagine that's why TWC figured they could release this app without any new licensing or permission from content rightsholders.
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by banditws6:

This is what I was thinking. Time Warner only lets you watch TV content via their iPad app if:

1. You are a Time Warner cable subscriber who already has access to the same content via your cable package
2. You are using it at home on your Time Warner Internet service

Given those restrictions, there is effectively no difference between this iPad app and another television in your house. I imagine that's why TWC figured they could release this app without any new licensing or permission from content rightsholders.

a Smart judge would toss the case and tell them openly that this is no different than a second TV in the house since the person has to have at a minimum a "Double Play" of TV and Internet from TWC.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
reply to banditws6
said by banditws6:

Yea, but that's not how "hollywood" thinks. As an insider once explained to me, it consists of 2 parts. One part create some content. The other part is an army of lawyers and take-no-prisoners business types, whose jobs are to extract every piece of value (i.e., revenue) that they possibility can from that content. What you're seeing here is that second part in action; "maybe we can get paid an incremental fee because the viewer is holding the screen in their hand, rather than looking at one hanging on a wall".