how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aljacobowitz

join:2011-03-25
Freehold, NJ

[ONT] Stop FIOS ONT beep

To stop the ONT from beeping when the OEM battery dies, you can either buy a replacement battery, or simply use a transistor radio battery, the same battery you use in a smoke detector. Take two wires, I used Cat5, and wire it to the battery. Wired the other end to the adapter originally connect to the OEM battery. Insure that you go positive to positive and negative to negative. A little electrical tape will hold everything in place. As soon as I plugged the adapter back in to the ONT, the red light went out and the ONT stopped beeping. A inexpensive solution.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

The original lead-acid battery is rechargable, the same variety that is in UPS units. I can't see installing a regular alkaline battery is being a good idea...

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but doesn't the battery get recharged by the ONT power supply?
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

aljacobowitz

Freehold, NJ

You are correct. Although a good idea to try and stop the beep by putting a slight current on the ONT, I didn't realize the ramification. I have since disconnected the alkaline battery and re-thinking how to stop the beep.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to aljacobowitz

There should be a button on the BBU that is labeled "Alarm Silence" and I would think that'd be the easiest way to stop the beeping.

aljacobowitz

Freehold, NJ

The silence button works, but the ONT recycles and the beep returns after a while. Although dangerous, my trickle charge experiment worked. I just need to identify the correct source without having to by a new OEM battery. Maybe I should just tape down the silence button?

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

The battery issue was discussed recently in this thread;

»Replace Battery

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to aljacobowitz

You can get replacement batteries for as low as $15. Just how inexpensive do you need them to be?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to aljacobowitz

said by aljacobowitz:

To stop the ONT from beeping when the OEM battery dies, you can ... use a transistor radio battery

Not a good idea to connect a 12 volt charging system to a 9 volt non-rechargeable battery. Good chance it may explode.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
reply to aljacobowitz

Agreed on the "Don't do a 9v alkaline/non-rechargeable battery on this system" recommendations.

UPS batteries are often 12v and would likely work. Our battery died and when I found the beep wouldn't actually stop, I found an old UPS, pulled the battery, and hooked it in. Worked great until a new battery was found...
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

AVITWeb

join:2002-01-11
Trenton, NJ

Wow...alkaline battery (9v no less) hooked up to ONT? You are lucky...was the battery warm at all when you disconnected?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to UnnDunn

said by UnnDunn:

You can get replacement batteries for as low as $15. Just how inexpensive do you need them to be?

This.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...