spc
Search similar:

uniqs

x6against7
@comcast.net

x6against7

Anon

[Connectivity] Ubee + Cisco E4200

I'm having a giant issue with my ubee modem that comcast installed last month and my Cisco E 4200. I had a Dlink extreme router when they first upgraded my modem to the new ubee modem. After a week the router and the modem stopped communicated. I still had internet if i hardwired to the modem with the laptop and could still access the lan. I thought it was old and just went, so I replaced it with the new cisco e4200 and that was great for about 2 weeks, then it did the same thing after a windows update on my nic and wlan card on the laptop. I went through the trouble shooting with cisco on the phone and they recommended returning it and getting a new one. So I did and then tonight I set up and then went to hook in my hard lines for the 360 and ps3 and the same thing happened again. No communication between the router and the modem but I can still access the internet directly through the modem and I can still access the lan. Please help I think it's the modem but I'm not sure at all now.

0zero01
Premium Member
join:2000-08-01
Bremerton, WA

0zero01

Premium Member

If you can surf direct to the modem, it's not the modem. PERIOD!
If you have extra patch cables try different ones. Remember every time you change devices to always power cycle the cable modem!

This almost always works IMHO (12+ yrs Field Exp.)
1. Plug everything in and power it on. Reset Your Router to Factory
Defaults.
2. Power cycle your cable modem, let it complete Synchronization!
3. Power cycle your router.
4. Use a Hard wired computer to a Lan port on your router and setup
"Your desired settings"
BeefJerky9
join:2005-05-28
Spring, TX

BeefJerky9

said by 0zero01:

If you can surf direct to the modem, it's not the modem. PERIOD!

I disagree. I had weird experience with a DSL modem that taught me otherwise. My router (WNDR3700) would lose connection every few days as well as having consistently slower speeds. I hooked it directly to a computer and it had a good connection with no issues. I replaced the router and continued to experience the same exact problems that the first one had. After that, I replaced the modem and haven't had a single problem since. I suspect that my first modem had a slightly-out-of-spec ethernet port which the router was more sensitive to.

Point being, just because a person can connect successfully when bypassing the router, it does not fully rule out the modem. I realize this it not a common phenomenon, but it is does exist. As such, a bad modem cannot be completely ruled out, especially considering that two different routers exhibited the same issue.
x6against77
join:2007-06-09
Marietta, GA

x6against77 to 0zero01

to 0zero01
I've done this multiple times over the phone with cisco technical support and on my own. The reason I believe it's the modem is that it has done the exact same thing to 3 routers (2 different brands). I've reset the routers firmware and updated to new ones. I'm just dumbfounded on the fact that once I hook up a line to the modem that it then works. To me is seems like when I add more items that the modem/router then shuts down. Also I've had comcast internet for years with different modems and the same setup with the old dlink. but have not started to experience any problems till the new ubee modem was installed.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

When you switch what device is connected to the modem, you need to powercycle the modem. There is no way around that.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to x6against7

Premium Member

to x6against7
I have many times run into situations where specific ethernet devices have problems when connected to each other. It is usually a conflict with speed, duplex, or MDI/MDIX mismatch. Sometimes you have to override the automatic detection on one or both devices to get them to work properly together. I have also seen cases where someone had done manual configuration for one or both devices in order to ensure that an auto detection problem could not happen, but those two devices would not work together unless both were set to do auto detection.

If neither device has the capability to let you control the port hardware, then sometimes an inexpensive consumer/SOHO grade switch between the recalcitrant devices will allow them to speak to each other.
x6against77
join:2007-06-09
Marietta, GA

x6against77

Yeah I understand the power cycle and resetting the router everyone knows that by now. It's internet 101. I'm way beyond that now. The dlink gigabit switch is hooked up right now and working. I tired to run the Cisco router through the switch but that didn't work. Any ideas now? Keep in mind that all three wireless routers worked for a time, with 3 weeks being the longest among them.

We'll see how long that holds out. I just don't understand if it's a communication issue between the 2, or if it's brand related and which one would be cheaper to replace.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by x6against77:

The dlink gigabit switch is hooked up right now and working. I tired to run the Cisco router through the switch but that didn't work. Any ideas now?

From that description, I get an impression that you may not have understood the idea that I already presented.

Do you mean that you tried to connect the router's WAN interface, the modem's LAN interface, along with other devices on your LAN to the same switch? If so, that would certainly not be likely to work for use with a cable modem using DHCP. I have seen it work with a DSL modem using PPPoE, but it would not work with a DSL modem using DHCP either.

What I was describing (if changing the auto-config settings for the router's WAN port and/or the modem's LAN port did not help) was a totally separate 4-5 port switch connected between the router's WAN port and the modem's LAN port (yes, you would be wasting 2-3 switch ports, but the price for a 4-5 port switch is so much less than the price for a cable modem or wireless router, that it would still make economic sense). Your primary LAN switch would need to remain strictly on your router's LAN interface.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Welcome back NetFixer See Profile !

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by EG:

Welcome back NetFixer See Profile !

I should have accepted one of Comcast's ubiquitous offers as soon as they did the D3 upgrades in this area. But at the time, my AT&T DSL circuits were working fine, and my prime directive is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I suppose that I really owe AT&T a big thank you for forcing me to dump them because of their new only one DSL circuit per residential address policy.

x6against7
@comcast.net

x6against7 to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
Yes I tired the modem -> switch -> wireless router and didn't have any internet at the router, however I did have internet service at the switch which was interesting.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

said by x6against7 :

Yes I tired the modem -> switch -> wireless router and didn't have any internet at the router, however I did have internet service at the switch which was interesting.

That means you either didn't power cycle the modem and router properly and in the right sequence, or that switch isn't really a switch.

What model Ubee modem do you have?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

1 recommendation

NetFixer to x6against7

Premium Member

to x6against7
said by x6against7 :

That response brings several questions to my mind.

1. Were you connecting the modem and/or switch to the WAN interface on the router, or to its LAN interface? I don't mean to sound insulting, but I have no idea of the level of your technical expertise, and you have not yet explicitly said that you were using the router's WAN interface to connect to the modem. When you have been doing tech support for as many decades as have I, you tend to read between the lines and hear the unsaid.

2. Was the PC that got internet access connected to the switch at the same time as the router?

3. Have you ever tried connecting the router's WAN interface directly to the modem, connecting a PC to the router's LAN interface, and cloning that PC's mac address to the router's WAN interface? In this scenario you should power off every device, then power on the modem first, then the router, then the PC. Next repeat the operation, but without the cloning step.

4. This is not directly related to your most recent reply, but it is related to my tendency to read between the lines and hear the unsaid. Are you 101% sure that you are using the correct power supply with your router? I can't begin to tell you how many times I have found an external power supply with incorrect voltage or insufficient current capacity be the problem at a customer location. It is easy to happen because many of then look alike, and frequently there is nothing on their label to identify what device they are supposed to be used with.

x6against7
@comcast.net

x6against7

Anon

1) The modem is connected to the wan interface or on the back for the e4200 it says internet.

2) I can connect directly to the internet through the modem, or directly through the switch. All the connections are hard wired.

I can see the network and other computers on the network that are hooked up through the router but have no internet access hardlined or wireless. Without the switch inline and with the switch inline while only connected to the router. I also tried while connected and that didn't work either.

3) Yes I have tired to connect directly and cloning the mac address to the router's wan interface, and powered cycled and still no internet.

4)Yes i'm sure and checked the power supply when I returned it to bestbuy just to make sure and they were never crossed.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by x6against7 :

1) The modem is connected to the wan interface or on the back for the e4200 it says internet.

2) I can connect directly to the internet through the modem, or directly through the switch. All the connections are hard wired.

I can see the network and other computers on the network that are hooked up through the router but have no internet access hardlined or wireless. Without the switch inline and with the switch inline while only connected to the router. I also tried while connected and that didn't work either.

3) Yes I have tired to connect directly and cloning the mac address to the router's wan interface, and powered cycled and still no internet.

4)Yes i'm sure and checked the power supply when I returned it to bestbuy just to make sure and they were never crossed.

It sounds as if you have tried just about every option to make it work.

When you say no internet access through the router, do you mean that the router's WAN interface never got a public IP address from the cable modem, or that it got a public IP address from the modem, but did not route traffic to the internet?

ComTech 4
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28
USA

ComTech 4 to x6against7

Premium Member

to x6against7
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I know this has been said many times but start fresh.Unplug the electricity from the modem and hook up modem to router as shown in the pic. Their should not be anything hooked up between the modem and the router, also nothing hooked up to the usb port of the modem.

Plug in the electricity back into the modem. Wait for the ready light to be solid then plug the electricity of the router in.

Go into your router configuration and make sure "Internet Connection type" is set to DHCP as show in the pic.

In the pic im showing a Ubee Ubee U10C018 and a cisco e4200 v1

Then check to see if your router is pulling a public ip address (pic3). If it has an ip of 192.***.***.*** or a 169 ***.***.*** your not pulling a public ip address. around here Ip starts with 69 , 74 ,96

Dee_
@comcast.net

Dee_ to x6against7

Anon

to x6against7
What is your Ubee model?

x6against7
@comcast.net

x6against7

Anon

Thanks for the pics that's exactly how I have it hooked up and the settings are also the same. The router never obtains and IP address at all from the modem. The model of the modem is U10c035.