uniqs
share rss forum feed

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

Iowa - Internet Options

Hey guys,

I'm relocating from Chicago to West Des Moines, IA in a month with the wife. Just wondering what my internet options are? If memory serves and I hope I'm wrong, Mediacom and Qwest are my only options.

If anyone can inform me of any other options, that'd be great. We're both going to be working 100% virtual so we'd like something reliable/stable with decent speeds. From looking at the Mediacom and Qwest prices, they're not any cheaper than Chicago. What's up with that!?

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1

said by sleuth:

Hey guys,

I'm relocating from Chicago to West Des Moines, IA in a month with the wife. Just wondering what my internet options are? If memory serves and I hope I'm wrong, Mediacom and Qwest are my only options.

If anyone can inform me of any other options, that'd be great. We're both going to be working 100% virtual so we'd like something reliable/stable with decent speeds. From looking at the Mediacom and Qwest prices, they're not any cheaper than Chicago. What's up with that!?

As far as I know, it is still just Mediacom and qwest. I dont know anything about qwest, but speed problems with mediacom are dependent on the neighborhood... However, their other issues are coming from corporate... Just browse the forum and search the news headlines for Mediacom...

I think they truly believe that any press is good press.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to sleuth

Since Mediacom and Qwest are most likely your only choices you should get them both and try them out. My guess is that both companies have decent service to West Des Moines since it is newer and growing.

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to sleuth

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to look into both options and decide which suits our needs best. I see Qwest offers very competitive prices and can get as high as 40mbps. Hopefully I'm close enough to the Telco.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

I have moved from Chicago area to Iowa too but live in Dubuque. Here I have really only 2 options - mediacom or wisp you2. Since qwest serves no dsl in my area, and I rent and landlords do not allow dishes or any antenna on roof where I live, my choice is only mediacom and AT&T 3G with my iphone as a backup connection.

In capital, you'll definitely have a lot more competitive options.