how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

Speedtest.net Problem

If I do a speedtest, my speed will be really good, and then right at the last second, my speed drops so much. It must be a glitch or something, because I have never had this problem before. The older version was a lot better, in my opinion.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Is this on the download side or the upload side?

I ask because I've had that problem on the upload side from the moment I got 4G last NOvember. And I finally found out what's happening. Sprint caps upload speeds at 1 mbps. It's a slow reactive cap. An upload begins at full speed, usually around 2 mbps, then an invisible hand reaches out and slaps it down to 1 mpbs. Does that sound like what you're seeing?

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
Mainly Download, sometimes upload. What is happening to me is, while the test is running my download will be going and it will say I have 1.3mbps download, still running, and right before the download test ends, it says I have like 0.65mbps download and that's what it gives me for my result, when clearly it should have been 1.3mbps. This happens only at the very last few ms of the test. It's just annoying.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Okay, two questions:

First, have you tried running the Speedtest from a different server?

Secondly, is it happening in the real world or only when you run this Speedtest? What I mean is, if you try to simply download a large file, or play a stream, are you seeing the same pattern?

One thing I like to do, as a real world test, is to download a real file from a real web site. Star Trek fans are a busy thriving lot, and they have video fiction galore all over the place. One example is the Star Trek: Farragut series. And one of their download sites is very well maintained and very reliable, located at »farragut.novelhost.net/ .

So, whenever I'm seeing something strange, and I don't know whether it really is my connection or something anomalous with my speedtest, I go to that site and I start downloading one of their largest files. I usually go for one of the gigantic .iso files.

I let the download go for about 5 minutes or so, because I notice the download speed takes a few minutes to stabilize. Then I just watch it for a minute and see if 1) it's consistent and 2) what the speed is. Nine times out of ten, I discover everything's fine and my fancy-schmancy speed test was acting up.

One reminder: Many file download data clocks use KiloBytes and MegaBytes instead of kilobits and megabits. So don't forget to multiply by 8 to convert it to speed figures that will make sense.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
I have tried different servers same thing. When I download files the connection never drops, it's just a freak thing that happens every once and again. Speakeasy never does it. I was just wondering if anyone else have experienced this.
Expand your moderator at work