how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

enigma1944

join:2005-08-23
Pittsburgh, PA

FIOS TV and Netflix

I just saw this Netflix commercial about their movies and the connection via BB and the TV. Will this setup work with the VZ system.

Thanks

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
It will work just fine as long as you have a Netflix enabled device (Bluray player, Wii, PS3, Xbox, internet enabled TV, Tivo, Roku, etc) connected to the router.
VZ STBs do not support Netflix.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to enigma1944
Not quite sure waht you are asking, but it is perfectly possible to watch Netflix instant streaming through any Netflix-ready device using FiOS Internet. Verizon-branded set-top-boxes are not Netflix-ready devices, so you cannot use a Verizon STB for this purpose. However, many blu-ray players, media streamers and all current game consoles are Netflix-ready.

idjk

@bellsouth.net
reply to enigma1944
Get a Roku!

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to enigma1944
Get a Boxee Box!!

enigma1944

Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit
reply to enigma1944
Thanks for all your answers.

1. I have a Samsung LN46B630 with internet capability.

2. I also have a Sony Blu-ray BDP-N460 that I don't use much. I never updated the firmware since I bought it last year but according to CNET, Sony did update the system to include Netflix for this model. I glanced at the update procedure and it appears to be quite a SIMPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!! job, maybe for certain people.

3. It appears to me placing an additional box will require MORE
SIMPLE WIRING OF COURSE

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Is your Blu Ray player already hooked up to your router? If so, then updating your firmware should really be easy. If not, then is your player wireless? If it is, then you don't even need to run any wires to connect - connect it wirelessly to your router. If it's not wireless, then you just need a cat5 cable - run it from the back of your blu ray player to your router and you'll be good to go. From there you would just need to have the player update the firmware. Heck, your player probably ping you to do that as soon as you hook up the wiring - it'll 'notice' that the firmware you're running isn't the most recent, and it'll most likely ask if you want to upgrade.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to enigma1944
Works fines or should I say as designed, my Bluray has Netflix, but keep in mind the bit rate is horribly low for netflix, typically 2-3mbs for HD, compared to 15mbs which is what Verizon uses for the HD channels

I did the free for a month thing, gave up as I couldn't stands the low bit rate

markanon

join:2008-10-16
Coppell, TX
Works just fine. I have it on 2 Sumsung BR players and a Sony PS3 also. The PS3 uses my WiFi connection. the Samsungs do not have wireless capability so I put 2 MOCA bridge boxes (Motorola NIM100) at those Tv locations after a splitter (1 GHz) - splits to MOCA box nd Verizon HD STB.

enigma1944

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to enigma1944
Well I took the 1 month test and so far it works for my needs. I think it's a bargain for movies. The only thing I can't get to work is the Pandora radio setup. No big deal but it appears I'm not alone in this catagory.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
I have Pandora working both through a Sony Internet TV and Sony Blu-ray players over FiOS Internet.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
reply to enigma1944
You have to setup an account on the web first for Pandora, then enter the code into your device

I have that working as well on the BlueRay and FIOS

film113

@verizon.net
Same here...Pandora works fine via my Samsung BD player and FIOS connection.

drummrboybac

join:2010-10-22
Holliston, MA
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Works fines or should I say as designed, my Bluray has Netflix, but keep in mind the bit rate is horribly low for netflix, typically 2-3mbs for HD, compared to 15mbs which is what Verizon uses for the HD channels

I did the free for a month thing, gave up as I couldn't stands the low bit rate

If you have a PS3, you can now stream in 1080p with a bitrate of around 5mbps given enough connection speed.

»www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/netf···-1-surr/