« HBOGODigital Adapter Remote »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Docsis 3 upgrades and internet speed tiers

Anyone know if/when the internet speed tiers will be enhanced to make use of the D3 upgrades that WOW says they have completed?

Kinda hoping WOW Dan will get in here and comment. I'm looking at dropping AT&T Uverse and getting WOW or Insight, would like some info on what is coming.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
said by Rambo76098:

Anyone know if/when the internet speed tiers will be enhanced to make use of the D3 upgrades that WOW says they have completed?

Kinda hoping WOW Dan will get in here and comment. I'm looking at dropping AT&T Uverse and getting WOW or Insight, would like some info on what is coming.

Currently WOW does not have a scheduled release for DOCSIS 3.0, but we are working on it. We've worked hard getting all the hardware upgraded, but right now we need to reclaim bandwidth from all our analog channels we are broadcasting, and over the next few months we will be removing all analog signals from all of our markets. Once those are removed we will have much more bandwidth to work with for HD channels and future internet speed increases. For more updates about WOW, also please check out our blog at thewowbuzz.com.

Rambo76098

Columbus, OH
reply to Rambo76098
Thanks Dan.

anobix

join:2010-03-01
Columbus, OH
reply to Rambo76098
Click for full size
Now there can't be any way that that is possible. I am currently signed up for the 8/1 service and have never gotten that type of speed from a regular site/download/etc (newsgroups or otherwise).

When running from a non-wow speed test I get more 'realistic' results such as:

The »www.speedtest.insight.rr.com/ gives me:
Your Download Speed = 6.28Mbps or 805.07KBytes/sec
Your Upload Speed = 1.35Mbps or 173.18KBytes/sec

I have purchased and am running an SB6120 modem (docsis 3.0) but as Dan stated those bandwidth increases aren't coming anytime soon (unfortunately).

Is WoW's speedtest just reporting/acting very funny?

hottboiinnc4
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
WOW's speedtest is designed for their network and the only thing that matters when testing speed with them. Service Reps and Regional managers will tell you that. So do their techs. As far as getting above on their site- something is wrong with the test. But I can tell you that WOW does over-provision their modems so you do get what you pay for.

JonRup

join:2008-07-20
Hilliard, OH
I consistency get 15.9 mbits down and 1.1 mbits up...it's quite nice. Pretty much a 16/1 connection for me/

hottboiinnc4
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
Same here. I always get above (i hit 15.9 and at times 16.1+ download) the speed I should for download and always hit around 1.5 - 1.8 upload for my 15/2 connection.

I love my connection with WOW.

plonk420

join:2005-04-05
reply to anobix
i've seen people get ~40-100mbps on the WOW test. but then they also got a simlarly unrealistic result on Speakeasy's. (impossible AFAIK on a pre-DOCSIS3 network)

scottb8888

join:2001-03-08
Dublin, OH
reply to Rambo76098
I see TWC has turned up docsis 3.0 in Columbus... Dan, hoe soon will WOW follow on?

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
All I can say is it will be in 2011. I can't get more specific just yet.

LordKronos

join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI
reply to Rambo76098
I'm in Michigan and I just configured a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem yesterday (Motorola SB6120 - $75 at costco, but only available in some locations). Apparently we have at least some level of DOCSIS 3.0 support here, as the lights on the modem indicate I have bonded channels for downstream. Speed tests give the same results as my old modem...just slightly over 8/1 for my 8/1 connection.

baess

join:2011-01-28
Lucky you. My modem doesn't work properly with WOW's internet even though they say it is "supported". So I have to rent.

jmr1

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Rambo76098
Any idea of the approximate tiers/speeds that will be available with docsis 3.0 when WOW! releases it?

Thanks!

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to baess
Go on ebay and search for this: DPC2100R2. Skip all the ones that have "Comcast" on it as I'm not sure if they would work.

This is the same exact modem WOW uses and it works perfectly. You can get one for around $25-30. That's what I did and I save $5 a month now. It has already paid for itself so now I'm really saving money.

baess

I went through this months ago. There's a huge thread about it. My modem should work but it doesn't. WOW won't help of course.

I already have one modem I paid for sitting gathering dust. I'm not going to risk it again.

Even the one WOW gives me has been replaced three times and I don't think my current one is getting the updates properly. Since it's theirs they replace it.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
then maybe your cable lines have a problem and not your modem. Have them replace the line going from outside to inside your house. Demand it if they say no. It's their job to do that because they own that line.

Inside your house make sure the line going to your cable modem is high quality RG6 quad shielded cable. If you use a splitter, don't buy one from your local walmart... get one from an electronics store and pay a little more for it.

There are many things you can do before giving up

LordKronos

join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI
reply to Rambo76098
Here is a list of what modems WOW officially supports, and this post is from WOW's Vice President of Network Services

»thewowbuzz.com/blog/technology/s ··· a-sb6120

If you've got one of these, I'd insist that WOW support it and get it working. If they wont, then post about it on that blog. Steve is very receptive to customer posts on the blog and I'd expect he'd probably help you get a little satisfaction if your local support won't help.

baess

My modem performs perfectly 75% of the time. During peak times the speed varies. This also occurs with the WOW modem, albeit to a lesser extent.

To me this points to a capacity issue at the node or whatever. I'm not the expert. WOW insists there is no issue. Even when I show them the varying speeds during peak times. This has gone on for years.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by baess:

To me this points to a capacity issue at the node or whatever. I'm not the expert. WOW insists there is no issue. Even when I show them the varying speeds during peak times. This has gone on for years.

If WOW won't help you, move on to the competition.

emilysoft11

join:2011-05-23
reply to Rambo76098
Inside your home make sure the line going to your cable modem is high quality RG6 quad shielded cable. If you use a splitter, don't buy one from your local walmart... get one from an electronics store and pay a little more for it....

baess

That would make my speed vary ONLY during peak hours? Every other minute of the day the speed is solid as a rock.

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Warren, MI
reply to LordKronos
said by LordKronos:

I'm in Michigan and I just configured a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem yesterday (Motorola SB6120 - $75 at costco, but only available in some locations). Apparently we have at least some level of DOCSIS 3.0 support here, as the lights on the modem indicate I have bonded channels for downstream. Speed tests give the same results as my old modem...just slightly over 8/1 for my 8/1 connection.

I bought a SB6120 about 5 months ago and when I first provisioned it, I got 3 bonded download channels. Then later I had 4. Now I have none so seeing bonded channels means nothing so far.

My speed never changed. I have the 8/1 service and it is the same now with one channel download as it was with 4. 8 meg down does not need 4 channels. I always get about 8100/1100.

Still if WOW ever offers more, I am reary.

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
reply to Rambo76098
I have a SB6120 also as i didnt want to play for a modem lease, I see no difference in the WOW i used for a day vs the SB6120.

baess

1 edit
said by smunro622:

I have a SB6120 also as i didnt want to play for a modem lease

Walmart has stopped showing the SB6120 (at least on line). I wonder if WOW, Comcast and others got to them so people would still have to rent . I should have grabbed it when I had the chance. I know it's available elsewhere but Walmart was the cheapest I saw (20 bucks less than Best Buy).

Based on snailspeeds experience »Intermittent lost connection since May 4 in CLE not sure how one can justify buying a modem, even an "approved" one when it just may stop working.

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Warren, MI
said by baess:

Walmart has stopped showing the SB6120 (at least on line). I wonder if WOW, Comcast and others got to them so people would still have to rent . I should have grabbed it when I had the chance. I know it's available elsewhere but Walmart was the cheapest I saw (20 bucks less than Best Buy).

Based on snailspeeds experience »Intermittent lost connection since May 4 in CLE not sure how one can justify buying a modem, even an "approved" one when it just may stop working.

Well Amazon still has them for $86.83 but I only paid about $75 for mine. There is a newer model now, SB6121 which may be why Walmat stopped carrying them. I suspect WOW does not support the SB6121 yet. I looked at the data sheets for both MODEMs and am not sure what the difference is. They both claim to support 4 up and 4 down bonded channels. Perhaps the 6121 has a more snazzy interface?

JonRup

Hilliard, OH
reply to WOW_Dan
Any updates on the progress of the D3 upgrades?

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
Nothing I can mention yet. When I'm told I can release more information, you guys will be the first people I inform.

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Rambo76098
we are all waiting patiently... i would be happy with a 20/4 boost...if you are looking for any beta testing i am up to it...along with any ipv6 dual stacks also.

Rambo76098

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Rambo76098
At least the prices dropped... 15/2 going from $73 to $65 was enough to get me to pull the trigger, even though Insight has 15/1 for $45 right now... really didn't want to get Insight again. Probably should have just so I could run out the $45/mo for a year then cancel when the rates go up lol.

JonRup

Hilliard, OH
reply to WOW_Dan
Awesome, thanks for the fast response. My room mates and I have been wanting to get a faster tier but it looks like Time Warner doesn't want to upgrade the inner Columbus area. Plus, I'd rather spend my money with WOW since they actually treat me like a customer, not a sheep.