spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ajhaddy

join:2011-03-28
Calgary, AB

[AB] Trying dlink router with Shaw, 192.168.0.1 points to shaw?

I wonder if someone might be able to give me a hand. I apologize if this is something of a newbie question, but I've done some googling and can't seem to make any progress.

I have shaw cable internet, and the cisco modem they give you. I'm trying to set up a d-link DI-524 wireless router - I plugged everything in and reset everything. The manual says to go to »192.168.0.1/ to access the controls for the router, but this login comes up:

»i.imgur.com/bsvLp.jpg

Which for obvious reasons would seem to be trying to sign me on with shaw, somehow, and not the router. The DI-524's default login is admin, with no password, but that login doesn't work, neither did anything else I tried.

(I tried variations on the ip, as seem to work elsewhere, »192.168.1.1/ for example, but with no luck, and anyway the manual lists the IP mentioned above. I'm new at all this.)

I've not found anything online about the problem - maybe I've missed something silly. If anyone has any suggestions they would be very much appreciated.

firelynx6

join:2006-10-28
Edmonton, AB

Re: [AB] Trying dlink router with Shaw, 192.168.0.1 points to sh

first off. reset the router. should be a button on the back. use a paperclip or a pen or something to press it in. secondly, make sure the cable modem is in the wan port on the router, and your pc in any of the other slots. then power cycle both the modem and the router.

once everything restarts try the address again. and it should work.

unless this modem has router built in. Shaw as far as i'm aware doesn't have this kind of equipment tho.

ajhaddy

Calgary, AB
Thank you very much for the reply, though I'm afraid the problem is still there.

bionemesis

join:2004-12-07
Calgary, AB
What's the model number on the Cisco modem?

ajhaddy

Calgary, AB
It is DPQ2160.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to ajhaddy
Try running it without the modem plugged in.
Unplug modem,
powercycle router
browse to 192.168.0.1

The motorola modems will give you a 192.168.x.x ip address if it's not registered, maybe that's what's happening in this case?

ajhaddy

Calgary, AB
Being unsure what was meant by 'without the modem plugged in', I tried it going through the modem without power, through the modem without the internet plugged in, and also bypassing the modem completely and going straight from the pc to the router.

In all cases I still get the same message, in various forms, with all my browsers. I don't know how that could even be.

(The shaw guy who hooked the internet up yesterday put something called 'shaw support' on my computer without asking, told me I could delete it if I wanted, which I did. Maybe it's a silly suspicion, but I wonder if that has anything to do with anything.)

bionemesis

Calgary, AB
When you connect to the router directly without the modem in the picture, what happens? Also, is the Dlink router brand new or used?

ajhaddy

Calgary, AB
Nothing happens, aside from the steady power indicator light, steady wlan indicator, and rapidly pulsing wan and wlan 1 (where the router is connected to the pc) indicators.

It isn't brand new. It was my router a couple of years ago, has been in storage. (To my knowledge it still ought to work fine.)

bionemesis

Calgary, AB
Ok but can you connect to it via 192.168.0.1 and if so, what happens?

ajhaddy

Calgary, AB
Aha. The same thing happens as I described above, when it was going through the router. I get this:

i.imgur.com/bsvLp.jpg

And it doesn't accept the default router username / password.

bionemesis

Calgary, AB
So you need to find out how to do a factory reset on that router. Do that and you should be good.

ranubiset
300 baud - no way.
Premium
join:2006-05-30
North Vancouver, BC
reply to ajhaddy
That looks like the login screen for your wireless router. assuming you have reset the router try using admin for user and admin for password. That is the factory default for dlink routers. Also once you have logged in, make sure you change the password. "Shaw" is getting in there cause the router is picking up the name. You can put your own text there after you have logged in.

cheers!

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to ajhaddy
Your router is probably configured as a switch. Check the ports behinf it it should be:

Modem ---> WAN port on router

PC ---> LAN port of your router.

If you connect modem to LAN port of the router and then stop routers DHCP, it behaves like a switch. If they disabled DHCP, you need to reset the router

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to ajhaddy
Try running through the reset to defaults procedure.
likely goes something like this (but you should check your router's documentation to be sure):
hold the reset button on the router down for at least 10 seconds
while continuing to hold the reset button, power cycle the router.

Then try getting in.

jarrycanada

join:2004-12-02

3 edits
reply to ajhaddy
Have you tried, this.

unplug router for 10 mins. then try placing the paper clip on the hole at the back of the Router. hold that there for 10 seconds once the router is pluged in. as you pull the paper clip out of the router, all of the lights on the front should flash for a second. then try

command prompt

Note to get a command prompt, you hit start then select run type

cmd.exe

type ipconfig /release
then ipconfig /renew

see if you can log on now?

You should also make sure you have your computer connection set to obtain an IP address automatically and DNS automatically?

then type »192.168.0.1 when you get a login window in your browser in the username type admin no caps and no password.

I'd test that router on another computer and if it doesn't work, time to move on and buy a new router.

Ryan_Mc

join:2007-06-05
Calgary
reply to ajhaddy
said by ajhaddy:

(The shaw guy who hooked the internet up yesterday put something called 'shaw support' on my computer without asking, told me I could delete it if I wanted, which I did. Maybe it's a silly suspicion, but I wonder if that has anything to do with anything.)

Shaw Support is an Internet/Email/Security troubleshooting tool. It would not have interfered with your router access. It's really useful for people who aren't computer experts and can't troubleshoot non-obvious problems on their own.