« Don't confuse me with the facts.
This is a sub-selection from rly?
extreme100
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

Re: rly?

said by pnh102:

Then by all means let these people who want it put their own money into it and build it. No one is stopping anyone from investing their own private funds into a private venture to provide broadband to an unserved area.

Or maybe we could use some of Joe Sixpack's tax dollars that were used to bail out the private capitalists that were too big to fail?

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by extreme100:

Or maybe we could use some of Joe Sixpack's tax dollars that were used to bail out the private capitalists that were too big to fail?

That's right, because I was suggesting we should do this. /s
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

said by pnh102:

said by extreme100:

That's right, because I was suggesting we should do this. /s

You are actually pointing out tax payers having to pay for something they don't want or need or have any say in. You describe it as something that should be 100% agreed upon by the tax paying public which in reality applies to absolutely nothing. Life in the USA is all about waste these days. You don't buy knowing it will last forever you buy knowing you'll replace it soon or always have new-shiny for $xxx per month. The cost of complex items is based on it's impact on new versions of the same item making it sometimes cheaper to destroy or allow the old to fail early so as to not reduce the sales of later items. It's all the rage to milk the consumer with leases and rentals and to deny them that power that comes with outright owning things. It's a capitalists dream come true.

You vote, there is a majority, they rule, they change their mind, they get influenced by wealthy contributors, you live with the results. Municipal broadband can create an investment for a group or community that can provide better service at reduced rates that strictly focuses on one geographic area by those people who know that area best. It doesn't cost joe-taxpayer any more than any other variable in life unless they are the competition.
--
Say no to JAMS!
amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22

said by firephoto:

You vote, there is a majority, they rule, they change their mind, they get influenced by wealthy contributors, you live with the results.

I think it's more like, "he enjoys the SEC, banking regulation, food and drug quality laws, zoning laws and building codes, and is probably speeding down the interstate highway as I type this posting."

But, when it comes to something else,.... "hey! you're looting the system with all these handouts you expect!"

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by amigo_boy:

I think it's more like, "he enjoys the SEC, banking regulation, food and drug quality laws, zoning laws and building codes, and is probably speeding down the interstate highway as I type this posting."

Ok you sold me on it. We should have the government simply do everything.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.
amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22

said by pnh102:

said by amigo_boy:

Ok you sold me on it. We should have the government simply do everything.

Are you saying government shouldn't be involved in the things I enumerated?

Do you really want to identify yourself being that irrelevant?

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by amigo_boy:

Absolutely not. I am simply agreeing with your argument that because government does some things already, it should do everything. Screw the private sector! Screw the evil corporations! Government forever!
--

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

said by pnh102:

said by amigo_boy:

Absolutely not. I am simply agreeing with your argument that because government does some things already, it should do everything. Screw the private sector! Screw the evil corporations! Government forever!

No, what you want is selective government that hands out cash to only those things you like and screws everyone else. You want rules and lots of rules that create complicated methods of operating business so said business doesn't have to struggle to exist by competing in a fully open market against possibly anything. You would decry the government if they were to remove all laws related to the operation of all private businesses (and only businesses).
--
Say no to JAMS!
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
said by pnh102:

said by amigo_boy:

What a ridiculous strawman. How can you use it over and over again without slapping yourself out of shame?

How is a local municipality involving itself in an infrastructure project the same as government doing everything? Where do you go from "building out fiber optic lines" to "government controls everything"?

How pathetically obtuse can you be to argue the same neoconservative talking point that this is a slippery slope of "government takeover" of the economy?

It's pure garbage, and you know it.
Ssid Silver

join:2010-11-04
said by pnh102:

said by amigo_boy:

Funnily enough you are the only person in the discussion who has been making those arguments. Weird huh?