share rss forum feed

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI

4 edits

tuning in HD channels with basic cable?

I have WOW basic cable (analog though, yes I know the digital transition is coming soon and I will need a converter box) and have always tuned in to local HD channels with an OTA tuner. I've been told however that I do in fact get the locals in HDTV, even with basic cable. Is this true? Every time I've done a channel scan, my HDTV scans NTSC Channels 1-125, but it never picks up 2-1, 4-1, 7-1, etc.

*edit - I was able to pick up a few channels with my EyeTV Hybrid on my Macbook Pro.

Screenshot of what it picked up - »i.imgur.com/RLr1b.png

Unfortunately, no sign of ABC/NBC/CBS...any ideas?

pparks1

join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI

Yes, you can get them. However, if you put the coax into a cable box and then into the TV, the cable box blocks them.

If you put the coax straight into the tv and scan, you should find the HD channels in the clear.

I put a splitter behind my TV, went coax to TV straight for HDTV and coax to cable box and then into TV via AV inputs for cable TV.

Hope that helps.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:32
reply to karpodiem

said by karpodiem:

I have WOW basic cable (analog though, yes I know the digital transition is coming soon and I will need a converter box) and have always tuned in to local HD channels with an OTA tuner. I've been told however that I do in fact get the locals in HDTV, even with basic cable. Is this true? Every time I've done a channel scan, my HDTV scans NTSC Channels 1-125, but it never picks up 2-1, 4-1, 7-1, etc.

*edit - I was able to pick up a few channels with my EyeTV Hybrid on my Macbook Pro.

Screenshot of what it picked up - »i.imgur.com/RLr1b.png

Unfortunately, no sign of ABC/NBC/CBS...any ideas?

If you're using an NTSC tuner, you will not be able to pick up local HD's. NTSC is an analog tuner, and the HD channels are all digital, and require a digital QAM tuner. As to why your Macbook only sees a few of them, I'm not entirely sure. It's possible your signal might not be strong enough at that outlet where you are hooked up, and some of the frequencies are too low to be received properly.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to karpodiem

A PC tuner might use a different mapping.. analog 53 is 1008-53/1008.53 in digital. I'm really unsure if this is part of the mapping data sent on the wire or something the software does different from TVs; I use Windows 7 Media Center and it uses 1008.# for the digital channels. I have a Hauppauge HVR-1600, the analog and digital tuners are physically separate, so even if I only have the digital tuner plugged in it'll still use 1008.#.

This digital thing (and even D3) is apparently new to W.O.W. when others have done it long ago so it could be they just haven't gotten to it yet.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo?