share rss forum feed

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to batterup

Re: Don't confuse me with the facts.

Funny that... the "existing networks" were slow, expensive, and not seeing any measurable upgrades... until the city ran their own network. It's been the same story all across the country. Without competition, there's high prices for stagnant networks. (I know this all too well around RTP. Connectivity is very expensive because there are so few choices.)

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

said by cramer:

Funny that... the "existing networks" were slow, expensive, and not seeing any measurable upgrades...

Those people had the same choices I have now, one DSL and one cable provider. Now they "supposedly" have three choices but I can't find where the town provides service. They do have posted prices and the town charges more than Verizon charges for FiOS.

These town FTTP projects do nothing to bring 100/100 to the outhouses as they "cherry pick" and don't have to build an indoor pool for the mayor.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

What were the speeds and prices for FiOS before and after the muni-net was built? The laws don't say TW cannot sell service below costs and pay for it from other divisions, services, etc. for as long as it takes to make the muni-net fail.

That's another one of the problems with this bill... their ability to advertise is significantly limited. And it forces things back to the days of franchises... city run networks cannot extend beyond the limits of the city. (i.e. do everything to limit competition.) I can recall a time when cable companies where outright PISSED that they had to provide service to every square inch within the city limits.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

said by cramer:

What were the speeds and prices for FiOS before and after the muni-net was built?

I can recall a time when cable companies where outright PISSED that they had to provide service to every square inch within the city limits.

There are no municipal telephone companies in New Jersey. What would be the reason for a town to bring FTTP if TPC already did it? That plus a political hack who would waste tax money on FTTH would be tared and feathered.

Cable companies may or may not have to bring cable to every inch of a town; it depends on the agreement.