Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

How to get a free Airrave out of Sprint?

I've read some success stories. I just tried and was told the device costs $279 minus $150 instant savings and activation/shipping fees waived.

I'll gladly pay an upgrade price for a new phone, but I won't pay a discounted price to hook up their gadget to my cable modem so I can get better signal at home. That's bullshit.

Has anyone had any luck?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
You best bet is to threaten cancellation over coverage. The "account services" or "retention" department that you end up at should have the ability to comp one.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
What if they call my bluff? I'd owe some serious ETFs. Contracts are not done for another year.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by Network Guy:

What if they call my bluff? I'd owe some serious ETFs. Contracts are not done for another year.

True... but you can always back out when you 'learn' about the ETFs... then perhaps start a "well what can I about coverage at my house?" conversation

mojo1

join:2006-12-05
Atlanta, GA
reply to Network Guy
I received a free one about 2 years ago. I talked with retentions and they were very receptive. I didn't necessarily threaten to cancel service but told them I would have to start looking elsewhere because of the lack of signal in my home. They were very helpful and sent it to me free and comped the $4.95/mo fee.

Try calling and tell the first person you speak with that you need to cancel. That should get you transferred to the retention department.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
reply to dib22
lolz

I'll give that a shot. But usually I've learned the only real leverage one could have when threatening to cancel is not to have an ETF over your head. Sprint knows they'll make money from me either way until next year.

jsbaker

join:2002-07-13
Houston, TX
reply to Network Guy
Sprint had gotten very ballsy and does not respond well to bluffs. A few years ago they would have given you just about anything you asked for, these days you are lucky to get a thank you out of them.

I tried getting a free one about two years ago when I had just signed up for 3 lines and they swore up and down that I would have good coverage at my home. When I could only make calls from the front porch they would not do jack. Threatening to leave since I was in the 30 day period brought back a response of " would you like me to process that cancellation now". I ended paying $100 for the 1st gen device and they credit me back the monthly fee for having it.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
I've had the three lines in question for 12 years now. I could see why they wouldn't bend over for a new customer. There's plenty of scam artists out there.

Not trying to call you a scam artist, just in case you take it that way.

billxp

join:2000-07-30
Newburgh, NY
reply to Network Guy
I just installed mine. It was free from sprint with no monthly charges.

I have been having a problem with texting from my home for a few months now. After 3 trouble tickets and still no fix other than tech telling me it's a congestion issue and will be a few months to upgrade the equipment.

At that point I told them the service is useless to me. I've been a customer for years and living in the same house for years so its definitely a problem on their end. I asked about the Airave, tech shipped one out no charge.

I did read somewhere that if you cancel due to lack of service on their part they can't charge an ETF.
I just wanted my phone to work again.