Search similar:

uniqs
AdamKane
join:2010-08-24
Neosho, MO

1 edit

AdamKane

Something Modetly Interesting

I have heard that the Federal Communications Commission requires two-way satellite internet dishes to be installed professionally. I was even told this by Wildblue when I was considering getting their service. I was also told that the FCC forbids such satellite dishes to be installed on mobile homes. So, I emailed the FCC. The response I got was interesting!

The following is the email I sent.
quote:
Does the FCC permit a consumer of two-way satellite internet service to install the satellite dish themself given that the installation takes into account all possible safety and health concerns? Does the FCC permit the installation of a two-way satellite antenna on mobile/manufactured homes?

The following is the response I got.
quote:
Dear Consumer,

The FCC does not regulate who installs satellite dishes.

If a property owner wants to install a satellite dish on their mobile home that is their choice entirely.

Thank you.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by AdamKane:

I have heard that the Federal Communications Commission requires two-way satellite internet dishes to be installed professionally.

Back in 2002 I believed that as well, and it is possible to dig up some quotes from me on the internet along those lines. By 2003 I knew that was untrue and soon after started writing software that helped Hughes users move their dishes on tripod mounts.

I was even told this by Wildblue when I was considering getting their service.

That would be unusual for them to say. What is true is that both Hughes and Wildblue have a policy of requiring professional installers, and the way that is stated may IMPLY that it is the law. With Hughes Ku-Band dishes it is quite easy to do your own install, and if you can accomplish it without them knowing you will have not violated any law. For Wildblue or Hughes Ka-Band there are significant difficulties in the service activation process (not just the physical issues, which are substantial) that make it pretty much impossible to accomplish without the assitance of an installer, even if he is not on-site.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to AdamKane

to AdamKane
The operative word is "on". I believe the issue with (some) mobile homes is a lack of rigidity relative to the dish mount. Nothing against installing Wildblue (or HughesNet) "at" a mobile home though; a polemount for example

The FCC tasks the two-way satellite providers with avoiding satellite interference. The providers comply by schooling their installers in how to avoid said interference. Hence the professional installation requirement is that of the provider, not the FCC.

//greg//
Expand your moderator at work