Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

TekSavvy's new AUP bans servers?

From the new AUP that went live today:

»www.teksavvy.com/en/lega ··· /aup.asp
said by TekSavvy AUP :

VI. NETWORK / SECURITY

In addition to the general terms set out above, you are prohibited from using the Service for activities that include, but are not limited to:
* Sharing of your Account userid(s) and password(s) for the purpose of concurrent login sessions from the same Account.
* Causing an Internet host to become unable to effectively service requests from other hosts.
* Running and/or hosting server applications including but not limited to HTTP, FTP, POP, SMTP, Proxy/SOCKS, and NNTP.
* Analyzing or penetrating an Internet host's security mechanisms.
* Forging any part of the TCP/IP packet headers in any way.
* Committing any act which may compromise the security of your Internet host in any way.

(emphasis mine)

The old AUP, which was part of the old terms (»secure.teksavvy.com/en/t ··· cies.asp) did not include this language... There is also some rather specific stuff, like forbidding posting usenet or forum messages with long signatures, or how breaking the rules of a forum like DSLR is grounds to have your service terminated. Also, performing any sort of security auditing is forbidden, so we're not allowed to use nmap at all, even on our own servers, it would seem.

The new ToS are also incredibly long and Bell-like. I didn't see anything particularly objectionable except frequent mentions of ETFs, which are also new to TekSavvy...

I understand the desire to "cover your ass", but this goes way beyond that into "control how you use the net" territory.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs

Is this an April fool's joke?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by alpovs:

Is this an April fool's joke?

Sounds like it... if not I'll have to question my status as eternal Teksavvy fanboi

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo

Premium Member

it's real guys

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Got a reply from Rocky about it:
said by Rocky :

@guspaz its across all services. Some we don't control. Will look at seeing it get clarified.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar to Guspaz

to Guspaz
spamming customer email?? Could be but I would hope not. Mebbe just a limited broadcast.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
With AVP coming into effect I will have to look at my options. Paying for static IPs and with this restriction makes it pointless.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo

Premium Member

its for a better experience have fun guys.. with a useless service ... i mean a BELL service....

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

There is also some rather specific stuff, like forbidding posting usenet or forum messages with long signatures, or how breaking the rules of a forum like DSLR is grounds to have your service terminated. Also, performing any sort of security auditing is forbidden, so we're not allowed to use nmap at all, even on our own servers, it would seem.

The part you just quoted there is completely ludicrous and some of it (conditions on posting messages to online forums and Usenet) are unenforceable.

I really don't get how Teksavvy wants to get tangled up in that, and alienate its users who are "tech savvy"

@Teksavvy staff now would be a good time for some clarification/.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Angelo

Premium Member

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

its for a better experience have fun guys.. with a useless service ... i mean a BELL service....

Even so.. I got no notice that my service is subject to Bell policies and that it is legal. Until that changes I will presume that TekSavvy is just being stupid.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

Even so.. I got no notice that my service is subject to Bell policies and that it is legal. Until that changes I will presume that TekSavvy is just being stupid.

QFT +1
aver
join:2007-12-03
Kitchener, ON

2 edits

aver to Guspaz

to Guspaz
:P
justsomeguy8
join:2007-10-08
N5M3Z3

justsomeguy8 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Wow, this was one of Teksavvy's saving graces.

I know a lot of people who would have left Teksavvy if it wasn't for them allowing servers. I'll guess they will be looking at other options or just hoping that teksavvy doesn't police their new restrictions.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Angelo

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

Huh? If affects me and I don't use anything which touches Bell.

34764170 (banned) to aver

to aver
said by aver:

The new AUP seems to go against the culture of Teksavvy and why we all support them so much.

What TSI stood for is really going downhill.
Radar73
join:2008-01-20
Ajax, ON

Radar73 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

* Running and/or hosting server applications including but not limited to HTTP, FTP, POP, SMTP, Proxy/SOCKS, and NNTP.

Unbelievable. What a terrible move.

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

AMailer to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Clearly its a joke - the entire "IV. NEWSGROUPS / DISCUSSION FORUMS" section especially

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to Radar73

Premium Member

to Radar73
If they really wanted to block those services they could block those ports. TWC here used to do it for HTTP servers.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

I'll just reinforce that Rocky did reply about this, and said he's going to try to clarify it; he said that the new language was because of services that they don't control.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to AMailer

Premium Member

to AMailer
said by AMailer:

Clearly its a joke - the entire "IV. NEWSGROUPS / DISCUSSION FORUMS" section especially

If it is a joke they should not have modified the original page.
justsomeguy8
N5M3Z3

justsomeguy8 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I just googled parts of the text and found that the Teksavvy AUP
is a word for word copy of the 3web/CIA/Distributel AUP located
at »www.cia.com/Legal/aup.html

Is this a sign of some sort of company merger? or just one company ripping off another companies AUP ?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Well that part is not there right now.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Angelo:

Huh? If affects me and I don't use anything which touches Bell.

you do have a dsl line don't you..

that is a bell line refer to bibics comments please!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to justsomeguy8

MVM

to justsomeguy8
said by justsomeguy8:

I just googled parts of the text and found that the Teksavvy AUP
is a word for word copy of the 3web/CIA/Distributel AUP located
at »www.cia.com/Legal/aup.html

Is this a sign of some sort of company merger? or just one company ripping off another companies AUP ?

I suspect that they both come from Bell. GAS AUP being passed on the customers, perhaps.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo

Premium Member

lol...

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

2 recommendations

JGROCKY to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
We now know people are reading things! It's been removed. We're getting close to launching more things and had to update the Terms and Conditions for sake of a minimum 30 day notice. The irony is the T&C mistakenly had that in it due to a consultant writing it.... guess the April fools joke was on us on this one!

...in any case, removed now. If anyone sees anything else that is contrary to our ways please PM me.

Rocky

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

That's what I thought. A simple copy-pasta screw-up.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to JGROCKY

Premium Member

to JGROCKY
Phew Rocky, you almost gave me a heart attack.. thought I'd have to finally face the Commision and start a battle with Bell.
justsomeguy8
N5M3Z3

justsomeguy8 to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
said by JGROCKY:

We now know people are reading things! It's been removed. We're getting close to launching more things and had to update the Terms and Conditions for sake of a minimum 30 day notice. The irony is the T&C mistakenly had that in it due to a consultant writing it.... guess the April fools joke was on us on this one!

...in any case, removed now. If anyone sees anything else that is contrary to our ways please PM me.

Rocky

Do you and 3web/Distributel/CIA use the same T&C consultants?

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY

Premium Member

Might have. The individual who did ours was at one point legal for Cybersurf. The pool is only so big in this area.