uniqs

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

Ohio Turnpike Now Has 70mph speed limit

Ohio is finally getting in line with its neighboring states and raising the speed limit on I-80. Granted, it's only one road, but it makes a huge difference.

»blog.cleveland.com/metro ··· _to.html

Whenever I drive back to Ohio, I always dreaded crossing the Ohio line because I would be forced to slow down. It's even worse now that I am used to 75mph speed limits. Hopefully soon the speed limit will be raised on all rural interstates in Ohio.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I agree.
One reason why GA is still my favorite driving state.

wanobago
@sbcglobal.net

wanobago to Omega

Anon

to Omega
Ii hope that is the only stretch of road at that speed limit. 65mph is fast enough. there are way too many morons on the road and it doesn't take a lot for accidents to happen at that speed. i've had many close calls on the highway driving on the right lane. what I would like to see is the elimination of the 25mph
speed limit. 30mph is just perfect.

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

Nothing is stopping you from driving at 65mph. If you can't handle faster speeds, you probably shouldn't be on the interstate.

You realize that the majority of the country has 70mph+ speed limits? The only exception is the northeast. Due to the small state size and high population density I can see some logic behind it.

Take a look at this picture. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· mits.svg

Ohio has had historical speed limits of 70mph+ but that went away with the national speed limit legislation. It's taken almost 20 years to recover from that horrible legislation.

To give an example of higher speed limits, in metro Denver, portions of I-25 are at 75mph. This speed limit is 75 even when the road widens to 3-4 lanes in each direction. People handle it just fine, so I think people in Ohio can handle 70mph on rural interstate.

Obviously you can tell I am a proponent of higher speed limits. Personally, I feel 80mph is the sweet spot as far as time vs safety is concerned.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to wanobago

MVM

to wanobago
Don't go to Texas - they look to be raising the limits to 85... of course huger stretches if Texas highway are straight and in the middle of no where...
18427703 (banned)
join:2011-03-27

18427703 (banned) to wanobago

to wanobago
There are some States that in some areas that "in effect" have no speed limit.

25 mph is fine for most of the areas where it is, there is a street in my old neighborhood that for years had a 25mph speed limit then a few years ago it was raised to 35 which is WAY to fast, even 25 is pushing it most of the time.

On Interstates in the US you can go 45 if you wish, there is no law that says you must go the max but there are "impede the flow of traffic" laws too.

Most non mechanical malfunction accidents are caused by "lane switchers" and those going significantly faster or slower than the flow.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
Loved the commute from Cleveland to Pittsburgh today. They need this on I71 now.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

EGeezer to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
At 70 MPH it takes a grand total of six minutes longer to make a 100 mile trip than at 65 MPH.

Here's a little fun math;
I save about 1.5 MPG by driving 65 instead of 70. Assuming $3.89/gallon for fuel, that's 85 cents saved in exchange for 6 minutes lost time. That works out to an hourly after-tax rate of $51 saved for each hour I lose by driving at 65 instead of 70.

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

Well, I value the faster speed. Plus, the 70mph limit means that a person could reasonably go 79mph (In Ohio, no points are added to a license unless the speed is 10+ over, therefore cops usually ignore anyone going 1-9mph over the limit.

So, your 65 compared to my 79 gives me a 17 minute difference in travel time.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by Omega:

Well, I value the faster speed. Plus, the 70mph limit means that a person could reasonably go 79mph (In Ohio, no points are added to a license unless the speed is 10+ over, therefore cops usually ignore anyone going 1-9mph over the limit.

So, your 65 compared to my 79 gives me a 17 minute difference in travel time.

And you usually beat traffic, at least in Pukesburgh.
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

tman852 to Omega

to Omega
Except in my case, where I did 49 in a 25. Yea, I think a few points were added. LOL
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to Omega

to Omega
Sweet. They need to build interstate highway between Dubuque and Rockford in Illinois. Driving to Chicago on Friday evening for weekend after my 5 day work is a nightmare. Why didnt IBM open new delivery center a little bit closer to highways?

Anyway, what would be normal 1.30h to 2 h ride up to speed limit is over 3 hours. The entire stretch of us 20 from galena to Freeport has no freeway and goes trough many little towns where u have to slow down from 55 right to 30mph!

U can drive us 61 stretch down to davenport and then take i88 but it really makes no difference besides more miles.

I was stopped by sheriff at stupid Jo Davies county. On rural highway stretch 55 I got caught driving 76 and it was around hilly areas there goin down could push extra 5-10mph. And that bitch cop wrote me ticket and sadly it happened on my birthday! Btw jo Davies county has one of the highest gasoline taxes, close to prices in Chicago.

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

You were driving 21 mph over the limit, of course you are going to get a ticket.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Well, I forgot I was not on suburban/city interstate where u usually get away with that when you are in the middle of traffic. At 70-80 range u are usually within traffic flow and do not deviate. Slow at 60 drive on rightmost lane. In the city/surburbs highways are signed at 55.
07599821 (banned)
I think I'm gonna
join:2010-05-16

07599821 (banned) to Omega

to Omega
I still drive 65 MPH even if the limit is 75. I'd rather save the money. And it only takes a few minutes more to reach where I am going.

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

That's fine, but please stay in the right lane. Also over time 75vs65 is a huge difference.
07599821 (banned)
I think I'm gonna

07599821 (banned)

I know that slow traffic goes in the right lane...

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by 07599821:

You may but I know a lot of drivers who don't understand that concept.
07599821 (banned)
I think I'm gonna

07599821 (banned)

said by south1178:

said by 07599821:

You may but I know a lot of drivers who don't understand that concept.

Well, I am not a bad driver. I even pull off to the side for emergency vehicles.

Thanks,
Gnat_X