Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

heatherlynn

join:2011-04-02
Port Orchard, WA

Two cable modems on one service?

This is my situation...

I have a 10 acre lot, with two dwellings (homes) on it, but it's one residential address. The houses are about 50 feet between each other. The two homes share one power service and water service since it's on one lot (BTW one of the houses is a trailer). The houses even share the same mailbox address.

Anyway, when I called the cable company, they told me that it's not possible to install two cable modems on one service. But I've done research on Google and from what I've read on various sites and forums, it looks like it is possible. Can this be done? If so, how and what do I need?

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

One of my ISPs has this as a billing problem. Their software cannot bill for two Internet services at the same address. So they cannot install two modems at that address.

Other ISPs using other software have no trouble, it is not a technical issue at your houses end, but in the 'headend' software.

(I actually regret the other feature of the ISP's billing, I get 5 bills, as each address is a single modem and they cannot bill me for 5 addresses on one bill. My DSL provider has no trouble billing for multiple addresses, they use PPPoE instead of MAC addresses for billing, they would also have no trouble billing for multiple DSL modems at one address)

If a nearby friend added internet service to their bill, and you used the modem at your house, it may work, but the ISP would regard you as stealing service even though it was being paid for. Sigh.

»www.ubnt.com/airwire may be a solution that does not anger your ISP.
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to heatherlynn

Moved in from the Motorola forum.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to heatherlynn

Try this:

105A Main St.

105B Main St.

As far as the computer is concerned, those are unique addresses.

The software have to be able to account for apartments that share a common address, eh?
--
Panem et Circenses

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to heatherlynn

Ask the cable company if they have "roommate accounts"

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to heatherlynn

No you can't have two accounts on one property with most.

However buildings are that close just send router line via ethernet or even Wifi.

Unless you want it separately billed.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

freeze
I'm not even Greek
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Ohio
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Try this:

105A Main St.

105B Main St.

As far as the computer is concerned, those are unique addresses.

The software have to be able to account for apartments that share a common address, eh?

This might work for the ISP's computer billing system, but you may be responsible for paying for the additional drop.

Since the two residences are so close together, wouldn't it be faster/easier/cheaper to make a wireless network? or is this not an option?

heatherlynn

Port Orchard, WA

Yes it would be easier, cheaper, and quicker. But my brother in law who lives in the trailer prefers to be wired rather than wireless.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to heatherlynn

dvd536 See Profile - as he said, find out if they will do room mate accounts.

A few years back, I moved into a house with some roommates that already had Comcast HSI and TV. One did not see the advantage of sharing the HSI account, but shared the TV.

I had a legit self owned Comcast modem, that when connected to the TV line I got Comcast's walled garden. I registered the modem and paid for my own account for 1 month.

Later the room mate came to learn that it was to his advantage to share the connection with me and another roommate. Some people are anal.

Later, for 6 months we shared between 3 of us, Comcasts' promo @ $19.95/mo. And every 6 months mixed it up so that we stayed on the 6 month promo for HSI and TV.

The breaking point was when I refused to pay 1/3 of the water and electric bill as it was not properly spelled out in the lease.

That was when the anal one realized it was best to share all.

They say you can not fix stupid, but in this case I did.

Hope this can apply to you.

LeeBee
It's Dark Out There

join:2003-06-18
Swissieland
reply to heatherlynn

Ethernet over power an option?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to heatherlynn

There maybe some misunderstanding here.

Installing 2 cable modems on 1 internet account, would be an issue with any system.

Installing 2 cable modems on 2 internet accounts, under the same name and address should be fine.

If they give you trouble ask for an escalation.

Make sure you are clear what you want to do. You want 2 modems at the same address, billed as 2 internet accounts. As long as you realize this isn't really sharing 1 internet account/modem. You'd be paying for 2 separate internet accounts, but each modem would have it's own bandwidth.

The only solution to share 1 account and 1 modem, would be wired, either outdoor cat5 and maybe conduit, or wireless. If they indeed share the same power, then you shouldn't have trouble running the cat5 between the locations. I've heard of issues doing this if they don't share the same power.

Good luck.
--
My signature is broken, stop looking at it!

heatherlynn

Port Orchard, WA

Okay I see where you're going. So two modems on one internet account is a no can do.

How about one modem and two routers under one internet account? Is it possible?

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

said by heatherlynn:

Okay I see where you're going. So two modems on one internet account is a no can do.

That's not a problem with Cablevision. They will gladly give you a second modem and charge you $44.95/month for it. I'm sure it's a higher profit margin than the first modem.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to heatherlynn

said by heatherlynn:

It will depend on your ISP. We do not know your ISP.

said by heatherlynn:

How about one modem and two routers under one internet account? Is it possible?

Sure, but there is no reason to use two routers.
--

heatherlynn

Port Orchard, WA

My ISP is Wave Broadband, also known as Wavecable in Western Washington.

Well, my brother-in-law who lives in the trailer has a laptop but prefers to be wired, he also has a desktop, and connects to XBOX Live. So that's why we were trying to get a modem on dwelling #2 aside from dwelling #1. If we can at least have a router on dwelling #2, that would work.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to heatherlynn

said by heatherlynn:

when I called the cable company, they told me that it's not possible to install two cable modems on one service.

Do you already have a separate TV connection at the other location?

heatherlynn

Port Orchard, WA

Nope. Not yet. My brother-in-law just moved into the trailer (dwelling #2) already. I won't be moving into the main house until the 20th... if we figured a way to share internet and cable service between the two houses that are about 50ft between each other, with both houses having the capability of using wired internet instead of wireless, then we'll start our service. So both houses do not currently have internet and cable services. The thing is, the people who previously lived there, made it separate accounts. The cable company told me that two houses are same address but separated into 'building A' and 'building B'.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to heatherlynn

You can be a heathen and just run the CAT 5 cable in the ground.

My neighbor has had that for 5 years and it functions perfectly. Rains like hell here, too.

You didn't hear this from me...

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to heatherlynn

So you already have the accounts set up like most of us recommend. Each house has its own account and own service.

If you choose to wire co-ax between the buildings you can wire outdoor Cat 5e as well, then you only need a small switch in the other building.

»www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterproo···01B6DM52

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33166035
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

You can be a heathen and just run the CAT 5 cable in the ground.

My neighbor has had that for 5 years and it functions perfectly. Rains like hell here, too.

You didn't hear this from me...

Just do not forget grounding wires.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to heatherlynn

It should be able to be done

heatherlynn

Port Orchard, WA

said by Jackarino:

It should be able to be done

What should be able to be done? Burying a line? Two modems on one internet service account? Or two routers using one modem?

abnormal69

join:2003-04-19
Hollister, MO
reply to heatherlynn

No you cannot have 2 modems on one active account, well without paying for it anyways. Like what was asked before, why do you need two routers? What are you trying to accomplish with multiple routers?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

Dude, it's IN the ground.

heatherlynn

Port Orchard, WA
reply to abnormal69

said by abnormal69:

No you cannot have 2 modems on one active account, well without paying for it anyways. Like what was asked before, why do you need two routers? What are you trying to accomplish with multiple routers?

My brother-in-law who lives in the trailer has a laptop but prefers to be wired, he also has a desktop, and connects to XBOX Live. So that's why we were trying to get a modem on dwelling #2 aside from dwelling #1. If we can at least have a router on dwelling #2, that would work.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

said by Anonymous_:

Doesn't matter. You can have a ground loop between the two locations, with current flowing through your Ethernet link. Good way to blow-up your PCs.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

said by Bobcat79:

said by John Galt:

said by Anonymous_:

Doesn't matter. You can have a ground loop between the two locations, with current flowing through your Ethernet link. Good way to blow-up your PCs.

It serves the same structure...the lower level of a building on a hill with poured concrete walls on a hill with a 40 degree slope.
--
Panem et Circenses

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to heatherlynn

Heather I do not think that 'router' means what you think it means.

All your brother needs is a small switch. Every network should only have one router (per subnet).
--

heatherlynn

Port Orchard, WA

said by jimbopalmer:

Heather I do not think that 'router' means what you think it means.

All your brother needs is a small switch. Every network should only have one router (per subnet).

I have the following...

MAIN HOUSE (Dwelling #1, my house)
1 Desktop (Wired)
2 Laptops (Wireless)
1 Xbox (Wired)
1 Cable Modem
1 Router

SINGLE WIDE TRAILER (Dwelling #2, in-laws house)
1 Desktop (Wired)
2 Laptops (Wired)
1 Xbox (Wired)
1 Cable Modem
1 Router

So my in-laws do not need to use their cable modem, since we can't use two modems under one internet service account. And all they need is a switch instead of a router?

Sorry if I sound so much like a noob. Networking is not my thing or department area. I repair/rebuild computers and websites instead. lol

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA
reply to heatherlynn

said by heatherlynn:

Yes it would be easier, cheaper, and quicker. But my brother in law who lives in the trailer prefers to be wired rather than wireless.

Have it setup in his trailer and wireless for you.
--
I used to be indecisive, now I am not sure.