how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BlackMesaLab
Premium
join:2011-03-01

More community broadband networks.

I'm moving to Michigan and the service for high-speed is terrible. And its a matter of big telco's using local gov't to draft rules so they are unwilling to rollout more community broadband networks.

This is a list from the maps from »www.muninetworks.org/ that gives a very clear picture what we do not having for support.

1. »www.muninetworks.org/content/com···tion-map

Short Explanation: Michigan requires communities to issue an RFP for a network and only build if they receive fewer than 3 qualified bids. If the community builds it, they must adhere to the terms of the RFP.

Commentary: This approach ignores the different incentives and regulatory environment applied to public vs. private entities. Requiring a community to build a network in the same manner a private company would saddles the community with the disadvantages of the private sector without giving them access to the many beneifts those in the private sector enjoy.
Statute: Mich. Comp. Laws Ann. § 484.2252

2. »www.muninetworks.org/communitymap

If zoom in you will see there are only three community based networks listed and they are all very poor in the level of speed they offer.
A. Coldwater
B. Linkin Park
C. Holland
D. Norway
E. Crystal Falls
F. Negaunee

These are local cable companies do no offer fiber to the home as a normal offering of service.

What are your thoughts on this?

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

Comcast and Time Warner are the dominant forces around here. There is also Charter in some of the outer areas, but we do have WOW (cable overbuilder) and UVerse. You should have a few options at broadband, depending on the city you are going ot.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to BlackMesaLab

BML, whereabouts in Michigan are you moving? Yes, ISP access is atrocious unless you're in either the Detroit Metro, Lansing, Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids area.

Unless cable or DSL reaches you, your best bet is too look for a local independent wimax provider. Right now I'm watching a race between Frontier and a local guy who owns and runs Great Lakes High Speed. Frontier took over all former Verizon phone territory and has really stepped up the speed to deploy DSL. They're scheduled to go live down my street in September, but GLHS has a wimax tower that can go live "any day now." The holdup is -- no surprise -- governmental red tape. I've been chewing his ear for over a year now and we could be a possible repeater site.

It may take a while and a lot of digging, but there are all sorts of mom-and-pop providers out there. Good luck!