uniqs
necrosays
join:2010-12-06

necrosays

Wifi Keeps dropping with multiple clients

Hey guys, heres my setup:

RG: 3801HGV
Router: DIR-655 A3

I followed these instructions from here: »Re: Uverse internet just installed, 2 questions.
quote:
Answer 1: All that's really necessary is to set up the new router in DMZ Plus mode. Connect the new router's WAN port to one of the 2Wire's LAN ports, set the new router to use DHCP. Connect a separate cable from a PC to the 2Wire's other LAN port, go into the firewall setup at ยป192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_3_1, click on your new device on the list, set the radio box to DMZPlus mode, save changes, and that's it.
I then turned off the wifi from the 3801HGV since I was going to use the DIR-655's wifi.

Whenever I do multiple things like stream, download, transfer files between the network PCs, I always lose the connection. Its wierd because I can still ipconfig and receive an IP, but I cannot connect to anything on the network (PCs, router, RG, etc) or get online. The only solution is to ipconfig /release & /renew and then it works again ... until it drops.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
SuperSync
Free Hat, Limit 1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-12

SuperSync

Premium Member

A DMZplus DHCP lease from the 2Wire 3801HGV is only 10 minutes in length. A lot of 3rd party routers have problems when the lease is up causing a "pause" in service when they ask the 2Wire for a new lease (which undoubtedly will be the same). Typical DHCP lease times are about 24 hours in length versus the 10 minutes you get from a DMZplus lease. Check and see if you loose connectivity exactly every 10 minutes. I could not stream Hulu/YouTube or Pandora radio for more than 10 minutes.

I had this problem extensively when I first got my service installed behind an ASUS RT-N16 router, but with a little tweaking I was able to get it fixed. Can't really remember what options I tweaked, but I do know after I upgraded the TomatoUSB firmware I had installed the problem disappeared.

You could also (possibly) give the DIR-655 a static IP on the WAN side since the address from the 2Wire typically never changes (almost static in nature).

Good luck.
necrosays

necrosays

Thanks for the reply, How do i give the DIR-655 a static IP? I've got the Configuration of the Router open. Can you take a look at this simulator and tell me which pages its on? I'd greatly appreciate it!

»support.dlink.com/Emulat ··· net.html

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Manual Internet set-up. On the WAN page, "My Internet Connection is:", select, "Static IP", and use the same IP address as the RG is handing out.
necrosays

necrosays

How do I know what IP address the RG is handing out? I went to the configuration of the RG and then went to Lan > Status > Device Details. This is what it shows:

Name: DIR-655
Connection Type: Ethernet
IP Address: 99.40.196.84
IP Address Allocation: DHCP
IP Address Type: DMZplus
Hardware Address 00:1c:f0:fb:7f:7d

Is that the IP address that you are talking about?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Hmmm. I don't think so. But it looks like the RG is doing IP passthrough? That complicates the issue.
necrosays

necrosays

So I reset the DIR-655 statistics, and this morning this was the Wireless Statistics:

Sent :30893581
TX Packets Dropped :79733
Received :15989705
RX Packets Dropped :37820
Errors :91723

I've noticed it often goes down when I try to stream media from PC 1 to PC 2.

PC 1 |-----| DIR-655 Lan Port 2
PC 2 |-----| DAP-2553 ))) DIR-655 (wirelessly)

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by necrosays:

I've noticed it often goes down when I try to stream media from PC 1 to PC 2.

What "goes down"? If it is the wireless connection between PC and router, check the wireless adapter in the PC. It would be a stretch to think that the wireless streaming between PCs through a router is causing a loss of Internet connection.