Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

moschops
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Oakland, CA

Ethical domain name registrar

Does anyone have recommendations for an ethical registrar that isn't sleazy and has a good reputation for quality service and customer support?

So far the only possibility I've found is Gandi.net, a French based company that has registered over 1 million domains and supports a lot of open source projects.

I would also like to know how I can figure out which registrars are resellers because some that get a good rap actually just resell someone else's service e.g. I've read that namecheap.com is just an enom.com reseller but couldn't find anything at ICANN to corroborate that.

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
Namecheap is enom, transferred a domain from NC to another location, made the process easy both being enom.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to moschops
+1 for namecheap. I consolidated mine and my clients' and moved them all there 2 years ago.
--
"Keep calm and carry on."

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN
reply to moschops
namecheap is preferred, otherwise godaddy is a decent, huge one.

MVS7
Premium
join:2005-04-18
reply to moschops
Another vote for Namecheap here.

said by moschops:

I would also like to know how I can figure out which registrars are resellers because some that get a good rap actually just resell someone else's service e.g. I've read that namecheap.com is just an enom.com reseller but couldn't find anything at ICANN to corroborate that.

You can find out the real registrar by doing a whois lookup on any domain managed by them. Namecheap is an eNom reseller, but they also have their own ICANN-accredited registrar account that they aren't using yet.
Expand your moderator at work

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to ViviTheMage

Re: Ethical domain name registrar

said by ViviTheMage:

namecheap is preferred, otherwise godaddy is a decent, huge one.

Not GoDaddy. This incident has moved them from my "avoid" to "banned" list.
--
"Keep calm and carry on."

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
Another vote for NOT godaddy, terrible company, look at that hunting news article.

I use namecheap, have done for many years.

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN
reply to moschops
Not saying you need to, my first choice is always namecheap.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to moschops
100% ethical - »www.pairnic.com
NOT a reseller.

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB
reply to toby
Hey, Thanks! I checked NameCheap out, and their prices (even renewals) are $1 cheaper than go-daddy... Transferring is $2 cheaper for the first year too... I'll definitely be switching my handful of .com's from Godaddy to NameCheap!

I use domainsatcost.com for my .ca domains, because it only costs me something like $12.95 + 5% Tax. But allows free whois protection. Apparently Godaddy doesn't offer that on .ca domains.

Appreciate it!

Oh, and I took a peek at www.pairnic.com, and they really charge high prices! Unless you pay 5 years in advance (the price on a .com drops to $13 a year), otherwise its $19 a year on a year-to-year plan like I usually do... That's more than double what I've ever paid for a .com.
--
~There is no Normal or Abnormal... Just Diversity.
Member of Team Helix - Join Us?

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

1 recommendation

said by Zac:

Oh, and I took a peek at www.pairnic.com, and they really charge high prices! Unless you pay 5 years in advance (the price on a .com drops to $13 a year), otherwise its $19 a year on a year-to-year plan like I usually do... That's more than double what I've ever paid for a .com.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. And sometimes it's worth paying extra for an "Ethical domain name registrar". I've been a pair customer in one way or another for 11 years, and they're a top-notch company.

pairnic has occasional sales. I did a 5 year renewal for $50 recently ($10/year).

Don't forget that pairnic provides FREE email forwarding, FREE custom DNS, FREE web site forwarding, and FREE whois privacy.

t8

join:2011-04-30
reply to moschops
I just started looking into hosting my own email, and I think I'll be going with namecheap as the domain registrar as well. Based on what I could find online, they should be OK.