Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NgtFlyer

join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA
reply to mkaishar

Re: Poor experiences with the new Megapath company

I've had 6/768 service with Speakeasy for nearly 9 years. About two weeks ago, I was switched over from Speakeasy's net over to Covad. Now, high latency, packet loss and obvious routing issues are the norm. Haven't been able to get anywhere with support and $146 (I pay $6 for higher news cap) per month for a 6/768 DSL line is terrible value for money. Sadly it's down to AT&T Uverse or Comcast where I live, so I have signed up for 50/10 Comcast business Internet service. I'll be paying a bit more, but I will have far more bandwidth and no data cap. I work in IT. I have servers. I work from home frequently and this involves transferring a lot of data. Plus, I am a power user. I watch video podcasts and download several others.

I've also noticed that while watching video streams, particularly Youtube, Twit.tv and Revision3, it appears that they are being throttled. (ALL traffic stops for 5 seconds in regular intervals while watching the stream.) If I close the stream, I don't get interruptions in traffic. My download speeds are normal if I download a decent sized file from a good source such as download.com.

So, after a very good 8 year run and a not so great past few months, I am finished. It's kinda sad losing these four static IP addresses I've had for all this time but, as I said in my last update to my Speakeasy review, all good things come to an end.

Never thought I'd see the day when I'd say I look forward to dealing with Comcast, but so far with the business pre-install process, it has been pleasant. I'll write a review for it sometime next week.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
said by NgtFlyer:

Sadly it's down to AT&T Uverse or Comcast where I live, so I have signed up for 50/10 Comcast business Internet service. I'll be paying a bit more, but I will have far more bandwidth and no data cap. I work in IT. I have servers. I work from home frequently and this involves transferring a lot of data. Plus, I am a power user. I watch video podcasts and download several others.

Based on my experience, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Comcast. Their biz support comes as close to the "old" Speakeasy as anyone; they are really quite good, technically competent and focused on fixing the problem. Usually short hold queues, too. And 50/10 is one of those things that is very easy to like. Need a 2GB ISO? Downloaded in a few minutes. Read up on how to put their CPE in pseudo bridge mode if you are using static IPs.

NgtFlyer

join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA
My Comcast order to live was a week, install went fine, CPE is in pseudo-bridged mode and all is well. I get a tad over the advertised speed and I find that often, the site I am downloading from is the bottleneck. 50/10 will spoil you very quickly. I've had the service for just over a week now and haven't encountered any issues. I'm glad I made the switch.